GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Climate Control Not Working! please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-20, 08:30 AM
SeveLample
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Climate Control Not Working! please Help!

Hello, I have a 2006 lexus Gs300 AWD and the climate control doesnt work. There is no air coming out anywhere and the screen is stuck on the Trip Data page. I just bought it like this and am wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what the fix was. I dont know if it has a climate control Screen, but this is my first lexus so Im wanting to have it right soon. Are there any test I can do to find where the problem area is? Another thing to note is that the power windows, except for the driver, dont work, at least from the drivers hand rest, I haven't checked from there respective switches. Any Help Is greatly Appreciated!
Old 10-26-20, 09:17 AM
PauloFR
Pole Position

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

The air output and fan speed are set through the climate menu in the screen, yes, looks like yours is broken... But you can still put it on auto mode with the auto button and set the temperatures with the temperature buttons next to the screen. As for the screen itself, it could just be a bad digitizer. I think it is replaceable (some people did it there).

Regarding the windows, it looks like the driver door doesn't reach the other doors' ECUs, but to diagnose this efficiently i.e. not testing things randomly for years without knowing whether you're on the way to achieve it or not, you would need the Techstream software or to have it scanned at a dealership.
Old 10-26-20, 10:06 AM
SeveLample
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PauloFR
The air output and fan speed are set through the climate menu in the screen, yes, looks like yours is broken... But you can still put it on auto mode with the auto button and set the temperatures with the temperature buttons next to the screen. As for the screen itself, it could just be a bad digitizer. I think it is replaceable (some people did it there).

Regarding the windows, it looks like the driver door doesn't reach the other doors' ECUs, but to diagnose this efficiently i.e. not testing things randomly for years without knowing whether you're on the way to achieve it or not, you would need the Techstream software or to have it scanned at a dealership.
I got the windows working, just needed the typical 5 second hold in the up and down from each one,also the head unit touch screen works just every button around it seems to not work, including the climate control, when I start the car, the front defrost flashes a couple of times then the light goes to the far right button, the auto doesn’t seems to work either, I don’t know if I made this clear but the touch screen responds, it’s the buttons AROUND that don’t, I don’t seem to find any forums with a true answer to this other than get it fixed by a pro, that’s odd being that most of them begging with a simple batter replacement...

Last edited by SeveLample; 10-26-20 at 02:30 PM.
Old 10-26-20, 03:04 PM
PauloFR
Pole Position

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by SeveLample
the screen is stuck on the Trip Data page.
OK, this is what made me believe the screen wasn't responding, but yes, there are cases of unresponsive buttons too. I don't remember what to do in this case, I hope other affected people will chime in. But instinctively, solutions could be have a pro disassemble the unit and repair the buttons or replace the unit with a used one, what I think people here have done (it costs between 5 and 10 grand new at the dealer...).
Old 10-26-20, 05:51 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 780 Likes on 673 Posts

Remove the radio/screen assembly and inspect the wires in the back. It possible a loose plug, or corroded pins. If no luck, you can replace the whole unit with a used one or send it off to get repaired.

Im a firm believer in that if I have electronic issues, I like to take things apart myself. You never know sometimes you get lucky and find something so minor that can be easily fixed. The assembly is super easy, you can take it apart yourself. There are videos on youtube that show how to remove it out from the car.
Old 10-27-20, 08:21 AM
SeveLample
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ibidu1
Remove the radio/screen assembly and inspect the wires in the back. It possible a loose plug, or corroded pins. If no luck, you can replace the whole unit with a used one or send it off to get repaired.

Im a firm believer in that if I have electronic issues, I like to take things apart myself. You never know sometimes you get lucky and find something so minor that can be easily fixed. The assembly is super easy, you can take it apart yourself. There are videos on youtube that show how to remove it out from the car.
that’s what I was planning on doing, anywhere specifically I should check, I read something about the buttons having a metal contact that, if not perfect, can cause it to do this. If I can’t repair it my self, is there anywhere you recommend?
Old 10-29-20, 12:00 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

I dont know of any shops that specialize in lexus, but check google it and you should see some reviews or maybe someone will chime in and refer you a place.
Old 10-31-20, 08:12 AM
SeveLample
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ibidu1
I dont know of any shops that specialize in lexus, but check google it and you should see some reviews or maybe someone will chime in and refer you a place.
So I took the unit out and took it apart, on the circuit board behind it had some orange crystalline substance around the solder for the buttons, I don’t think it was supposed to be there so I *lightly* brushed it off, plugged it back in and......... same thing. So I delve a little deeper behind the HU and notice the wirknging harness that controls the clock (if you unplug it while it’s running clock turns off) has a strange uninsulatted Wire that just loops back to its self, I don’t think the normal, but I can’t find where it would go to, a little farther back behind the dash the insulation appears to be brown, the it has not insulation and is wrapped in electrical tape with the red and darker green wire, when that wire is undone, the DISPLAY button on the steering wheel doesn’t work. So anyway, I work at a car dealership and was able to use a program after all this in order to IDENTIfy the FIX (read between the lines) long story short, I found a fix that said “blower motor and climate controls inactive, customer recently replaced battery——Fix:disconnected battery cables and tied them together for 30 minutes with the ignition set to ON” while this didn’t work for me, I think that it is because I’ve been chasing fuses and such and as a result, the panel that controls the mirrors trunk fuel cap and more is non-responsive, no power getting to it, and now it’s throws P0505 and C1201. I know there’s something up there, both ECM codes, so I guess what I’m asking is
1.)Any specific fuse or connector that has control of those the panel and might throw those codes
2.) Where can I find a decent wiring diagram, even if I have to cross reference three.
3.)I ordered a new HU Of eBay, but for anyone else having this problem and put in a new battery/disconnected the battery, please, For the love of god, Do the battery cable “fix” its worth the 35 minutes of your time to try it before you go chasing things that might end up messing things up more
Any help greatly appreciated

P.S. My I took how simple My Infiniti M35 is for granted, same features as this Gs and way quicker, hopefully this car works out tho
Old 10-31-20, 09:35 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Test the power supply on the harness that attaches to the back of the radio and hvac. Maybe its best to print out a wiring diagram of the plugs to see what is positive and what is ground. If its getting power then the radio is at fault, if its not then its in the wiring or fuse box.

These cars are solid, but you did purchase a 2006. The first year had the issues, its not as fast nor does it brake as good as the 07-up GS350's. They are the more desired ones to buy