GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Grinding noise when turning

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-20, 08:50 AM
energie8
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Grinding noise when turning

I've been getting this grinding/scratching/scraping noise when I exit the highway ramp, I hear it much louder if I let off the brakes and gas pedal. I havent noticed it when going straight yet, or maybe very little. When I turn in parking lots or streets its there also but not as loud. I tried to roll down the window to hear but its best with windows closed as it's clearer in the cabin. I just changed to OEM wheel hub, tires are fine, struts recently changed, brakes were replaced a few months ago, when I was doing winter wheel change, I didnt see any rotor guards touching it either. =/

Going to see if I can attach my sony action cam somewhere under the car to record it.
Old 11-04-20, 12:00 PM
PauloFR
Pole Position

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

I think this is a known sign of torn CV boots, are they in good shape?
Old 11-04-20, 12:17 PM
energie8
Instructor

Originally Posted by PauloFR
I think this is a known sign of torn CV boots, are they in good shape?
Yup, checked it also and no oil leaks no boot rips or play.
Old 11-04-20, 10:12 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 795 Likes on 688 Posts

Sounds like one of your ball joints either upper or lower, or even a tie rod end. Anything to do with the removal of that hub. In order to remove it, many time you have to use a fork spreader to separate them and that puts force on worn ball joints that at the time werent bad, but with the removal caused more free play in them.

Its also possible something was left loose, a loose nut can make those noises. Or even a strut top bushing.

You can drive the cars front wheel on a bit of a slope, and have the wheel turned at full max. Then have someone turn the wheel, and maybe drive forward and reverse carefully, while you examine the suspension. Just try not to get run over

Or mount a gopro or an old cell phone inside the suspension and record its movements.
Old 01-12-21, 09:48 PM
energie8
Instructor

So the noise changed and it got louder now, here are the videos from my dashcam. Might need to turn up your volume. When I go straight on normal roads around 20kmh I hear it very well, and when I make a bend on exits or highways I also really hear it. It kinda sounds like its coming from the back more.

Old 01-13-21, 01:26 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 795 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by energie8
So the noise changed and it got louder now, here are the videos from my dashcam. Might need to turn up your volume. When I go straight on normal roads around 20kmh I hear it very well, and when I make a bend on exits or highways I also really hear it. It kinda sounds like its coming from the back more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy1cFwRgLwE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7Q2HYlQP7k
Sounds like you have a bad wheel bearing, notice when you turned the wheel left in the 2nd video the pitch changed. Whats that doing is putting more pressure on the right wheels. It could be a front or rear, im guessing more likely the front right wheel bearing.

Jack up the wheel and see if theres play or slop in the front passenger wheel. Spin it, and listen for that grinding noise. If it is a wheel bearing replace it with a good quality bearing oem or top of the line . Those china wheel bearings many only last a year or two

Good aftermarket brands if you cant find oem at a good price: koyo, skf,timken

The following users liked this post:
sha4000 (01-13-21)
Old 01-13-21, 05:23 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 340 Likes on 292 Posts

Why would you have the music playing in the video when asking for help listening for weird sounds???? I just had the same kind of noise on my car and it turned out to be a bad wheel bearing.
Old 01-13-21, 07:59 AM
energie8
Instructor

Originally Posted by sha4000
Why would you have the music playing in the video when asking for help listening for weird sounds???? I just had the same kind of noise on my car and it turned out to be a bad wheel bearing.

I’m showing the noises at the turns only and there was no music and I don’t know how to crop out the video. The radio is on after I was done recording.
Old 01-13-21, 08:03 AM
energie8
Instructor

Originally Posted by ibidu1
Sounds like you have a bad wheel bearing, notice when you turned the wheel left in the 2nd video the pitch changed. Whats that doing is putting more pressure on the right wheels. It could be a front or rear, im guessing more likely the front right wheel bearing.

Jack up the wheel and see if theres play or slop in the front passenger wheel. Spin it, and listen for that grinding noise. If it is a wheel bearing replace it with a good quality bearing oem or top of the line . Those china wheel bearings many only last a year or two

Good aftermarket brands if you cant find oem at a good price: koyo, skf,timken
I had my left front replaced this summer with Oem bearings. I jacked it up last week but didn’t see any issues or play, there was a small meta scraping noise but it was the rotor guards, I solved that issue but drove it again and still the same noise. I was guessing it was the bearings too but just wanted to confirm. Guess I’ll get it replaced.
Old 01-13-21, 06:03 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 340 Likes on 292 Posts

Jack up each corner, spin the wheel and listen. The faster you spin the wheel the more pronounced it will be. You will hear the rotors slight grazing the pads so listen a little closer for the other noise.

Last edited by sha4000; 01-14-21 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-13-21, 06:23 PM
PauloFR
Pole Position

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Yeah, could very well be a bearing. When one went out on mine, I only heard it between 0 and 70 km/h, the most being around 30 km/h.
Old 01-13-21, 06:41 PM
CowBoE
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

I vote for wheel bearing, especially when the noise is more pronounced when you turn left or right.
Search YouTube on how to diagnose it. There are many videos.
Old 01-18-21, 02:30 AM
Blaque Diamond Wheels
Former Sponsor

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Yeah that really sounded like a bad case of Wheel Bearing and Tie rod needing replacement

- You can check it by lifting that side with a jack where you're hearing the noise/vibrations from (just like when you're replacing the wheels/tires)
- Try moving the wheels with your hands sideways (horizontally), if it wobbles or it has movement - Likely your Tie Rod
- If it has that bit of movement vertically, - Likely your Rack-End/Bearing

***Mention You Are From The Forum For The Best Deals***
Check Out The*All NEW BD-F25

Phone: (818) 362-2300
E-Mail: Info@BlaqueDiamond.com

Click here and visit our pages
IG: @BDWheels
FB: /BlaqueDiamondWheels

Last edited by Blaque Diamond Wheels; 01-18-21 at 02:36 AM.