GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

3gs '11 car audio problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-20, 06:47 AM
Karls90
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3gs '11 car audio problem

So I accidentally spilled a little water into the disc changer slot and audio suddenly is always on off now. The 6 cd changer keeps on making a jammed noise like it's trying to eject... This is the system with navigation.

Is my unit toast? Or should I wait a few days... Is it difficult to replace myself? Thank you gs family...

Videos with sounds:
https://streamable.com/vzvzad
https://streamable.com/pdz9yh

Last edited by Karls90; 11-20-20 at 09:38 AM.
Old 11-21-20, 07:09 AM
Karls90
Driver School Candidate

Nothing?
Old 11-21-20, 01:59 PM
WillkGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Is it toast? Maybe. I mean, electronics don't like water. Ideally, you'd want to cut all power to any electronics exposed to water as soon as possible and dry it out quickly to prevent corrosion. If you kept the car running and/or the battery plugged since the spill then it's very possible the damage is permanent.

If you're wondering about the difficulty of replacing the whole unit, it's not bad. Just depends on how comfortable you are with using pry tools and a ratchet. I used the guide below when I pulled the radio in my 2010 GS:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...y-removal.html

I'd imagine a replacement head unit from Lexus would cost more than it's worth unless you find one used or at a U-Pull-It. You could always try one of those Tesla-style Android too.
Old 11-22-20, 11:07 AM
Karls90
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by WillkGS
Is it toast? Maybe. I mean, electronics don't like water. Ideally, you'd want to cut all power to any electronics exposed to water as soon as possible and dry it out quickly to prevent corrosion. If you kept the car running and/or the battery plugged since the spill then it's very possible the damage is permanent.

If you're wondering about the difficulty of replacing the whole unit, it's not bad. Just depends on how comfortable you are with using pry tools and a ratchet. I used the guide below when I pulled the radio in my 2010 GS:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...y-removal.html

I'd imagine a replacement head unit from Lexus would cost more than it's worth unless you find one used or at a U-Pull-It. You could always try one of those Tesla-style Android too.
Your response is very appreciated! The link is very helpful. I've had this car for about 10 years now so I don't mind prying around. Just want my radio to work for music on my drives!

So I can just buy the radio receiver part and install it and everything should be good?
Old 11-22-20, 11:31 AM
WillkGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

When the unit comes out, it will include the entire radio and climate control system. It's all one piece, at least when it comes out of the dash. I believe you can separate the top and bottom parts afterward. So if you're absolutely certain water only got in below the silver plastic trim (the CD changer, tune/volume *****, etc area), that may be all you need to replace. From my understanding, as long as you purchase an identical unit, it should plug right in to the existing harness. Just be sure to double check the part number, feature set, and model year with the seller (the radios were 'refreshed' in 2010, so a unit from 06-09 MIGHT not swap in).
Old 11-22-20, 11:53 AM
Karls90
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by WillkGS
When the unit comes out, it will include the entire radio and climate control system. It's all one piece, at least when it comes out of the dash. I believe you can separate the top and bottom parts afterward. So if you're absolutely certain water only got in below the silver plastic trim (the CD changer, tune/volume *****, etc area), that may be all you need to replace. From my understanding, as long as you purchase an identical unit, it should plug right in to the existing harness. Just be sure to double check the part number, feature set, and model year with the seller (the radios were 'refreshed' in 2010, so a unit from 06-09 MIGHT not swap in).
I've learned the hard way about the 06-09 and 10-11 difference when another problem came up with my amplifier haha. Thank you so much