GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Headlight washers remain on indefinitely/won't stop

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-21, 03:23 PM
PauloFR
Pole Position

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Headlight washers remain on indefinitely/won't stop

Hello,

I ran into quite a weird issue problem with my car. Yesterday, once stopped, I ran the headlight washers to clean the headlights a bit because we had a heavy a snow fall. The only problem is, to my big surprise, they remained on instead of stopping after 2 seconds. I got out and tried to push them in, pressed again the headlight washer button, which didn't work. I eventually got the low fluid message. I finally had the idea to turn off the car, which worked. The nozzles just went in like normal.

I bought a gallon of fluid this afternoon. I checked for leaks during the refill, there was none. I tried again, same thing. And it emptied the entire brand new gallon doing this in 45 seconds. I swear.

To me it looks like a software issue, like if the ECU didn't tell the pump to stop. But bugs never appear in cars ECU, they are either there from factory (and the manufacturer recalls the cars) or there is none. The pumps works fine. The nozzles work fine. The circuit works fine. The button works fine too, I think if it was at fault, either the washers wouldn't work or they would come on all the time or at random moments.

The only thing related to the car which has happened between now and the last moment the washers worked fine is the car has been to the dealer to fix the front left parking sensor. If I remember correctly, the washer fluid pumps are in this area of the bumper. But I don't see any reason they messed up the headlight washers during the operation.

The car goes in again anyway to maybe finally fix my CEL by replacing again the O2 sensor (which I'll detail in the corresponding thread) and when I took the appointment online, I specified them to call me back to review what it will be about. So I'll make them aware of the problem then. But I would still like to know some other opinions in case they say "well, it will be a new pump" although it isn't that, because for example, they told me they weren't able to adjust my headlights and they would have to replace them if I absolutely wanted them adjusted. Headlights I replaced for a fortune 4 months ago. And guess what, I adjusted them.

I really don't know what to think about that because I see tons of threads across several brands from people having stuck open nozzles or washers that don't work at all but didn't find one similar case. Would it have happened to me on the highway without being able to stop the engine, the pump would have self-destructed due to lack of lubrication and overheating. So if you have an idea, thank you by advance.
Old 01-18-21, 02:19 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 770 Likes on 664 Posts

probably snow related! maybe something froze like relay or switch. try reusing it on a warmer day, and see if it repeats or not.
Old 01-18-21, 01:20 PM
PauloFR
Pole Position

OK then, they'll try inside the garage where it will be warmer. We will know by Wednesday.
Old 01-21-21, 08:55 PM
PauloFR
Pole Position

They activated the washers and they told me they worked! They also thought it may be related to cold weather, or more rarely an interference from the HID ballasts or a LED bulb. To be honest I didn't try again because temperatures didn't go up and I'm a little bit less keen to use them now. I admit every bulb except fogs and low beams are upgraded to LEDs, but they didn't cause any problem before. I'll try to remember to check tomorrow.
Old 01-22-21, 07:29 PM
PauloFR
Pole Position

They still work properly! It must indeed have been a temporary gremlin. Fingers crossed
Old 01-23-21, 01:43 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PauloFR
They still work properly! It must indeed have been a temporary gremlin. Fingers crossed
Relays/switches will stick and do funny things when weather shifts. Also our cars are not new, so the copper inside being worn in doesnt help it much either.
Old 01-23-21, 03:31 PM
PauloFR
Pole Position

Indeed. If it shows up again I could replace the relay, if it's all it takes.
Old 01-24-21, 03:04 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

I wouldnt recommend that unless you can test and diagnose what failed. Throwing parts at it in hopes of a repair, is like gambling.

It could be a number of issues like the relay, turn signal stalks, clock spring, the pump itself, etc. What you can do is have a test light ready in the car and before hand know which terminal in the relay is for the washer signal wire. If that lights up and gets stuck, then you can trace your issue further up and check the turn signal stalks or the clock spring.