GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2008 GS460 TCU(TCM) SWAPPED(2008 IS-F's)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-21, 08:11 AM
skyyos
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 2008 GS460 TCU(TCM) SWAPPED(2008 IS-F's)

Hello, guys

I am studying years about the performance upgrade on my car and I finally get to swap the TCU taken out from IS-F 2008.

I find that original TCU from my car have "KOREA spec TCU" WTF? USA GS460 and KOREA GS460 clearly have different logic to it.

---------------------

What I get from the exchange on TCU are mainly

1) Faster shifting time.

2) Rev. matching on downshift

3) you can raise redline up to 6,900 rpm without ECU remapped. ( But, I strongly recommend you to get ECU re-tuned. I have problems in 1st and 2nd gear.)

-------

Performance & driving fun gotten much better yet as I mentioned above, I do have problems in up shifting 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd.
3rd to 4th and 4th to 5th gear gotten so much faster.
I need to fix the efficiency of ECU again because 0~100 km got slower and 100~200 km got faster(Data provided by "DRAGY GPS"

Lastly, I ordered PPE HEADERS from VIVID Racing(Mike Ham / contact person). LEAD TIME OF 9 WEEKS SHIPPED TO SOUTH KOREA.
9 Weeks are such a long time!! Anyways more of performance upgrade on our GS460 will be posted.

Last edited by skyyos; 04-02-21 at 06:18 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by skyyos:
mrbondy (03-29-21), Sanac (03-30-21), TreysGS460 (03-31-21)
Old 03-28-21, 10:33 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 792 Likes on 685 Posts

ever thought of just supercharging it?
Old 03-29-21, 09:58 AM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Received 257 Likes on 193 Posts

Keep in mind that the headers drop the pre-cats. In other words - potential emissions problems, definitely if you've also removed the main cats (the one on the midpipe).
Old 03-30-21, 07:01 AM
Sanac
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Mannnn I want some headers! You are going to make me buy some in the next month or so! NICEE!! I did the TCU Swap as well but I'm wondering if the TCU from the 2010+ models of IS-F are different than the eariler years because the the LSD the new one comes in? Maybe I am just overthinking it

What problems do you have when shifting gears 1st to 2nd?

Last edited by Sanac; 03-30-21 at 07:18 AM.
Old 03-30-21, 11:53 AM
skyyos
Driver

Originally Posted by ibidu1
ever thought of just supercharging it?
I wish I could, if I ever find someone who can do the job in my country.
Old 03-30-21, 11:55 AM
skyyos
Driver

Originally Posted by Lwerewolf
Keep in mind that the headers drop the pre-cats. In other words - potential emissions problems, definitely if you've also removed the main cats (the one on the midpipe).
Yes, I am aware of that. I will get back to you after 3 months of lead time to make the header with black ceramic coated.
Old 03-30-21, 12:07 PM
skyyos
Driver

Originally Posted by Sanac
Mannnn I want some headers! You are going to make me buy some in the next month or so! NICEE!! I did the TCU Swap as well but I'm wondering if the TCU from the 2010+ models of IS-F are different than the eariler years because the the LSD the new one comes in? Maybe I am just overthinking it

What problems do you have when shifting gears 1st to 2nd?
If you are getting the header then go get the quote from VIVID RACING at MIKE HAM and compare quotes with other dealers. He will give you good deal.

Well, I've been asked a lot of questions to CL members here privately LOL the name, JAVI tells me his story and I am following his path ahahahaha and TreyGS.

--

I timed myself with dragy and 0~100km got actually slower.
It feels faster, but it is not. However 100~200km got much faster. I need to get the ecu retuned again. But tuners in South Korea have difficulty working on this car.
My car cannot even pull over 6400 rpm when other GS460 owners did up to 7200 or 6900 rpm.
Old 03-31-21, 02:54 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by skyyos
I wish I could, if I ever find someone who can do the job in my country.
A member named Designo slapped a supercharger on his, but sadly at the time nobody was able to crack open and tune the oem ecu's. Now guys have been able to unlock and tune them. Im pretty sure you can find someone to install it, and have someone remote tune via laptop and live feed while your cars spinning the dynos. Many tuners do this now!
Old 03-31-21, 06:02 PM
TreysGS460
Intermediate

Received 151 Likes on 112 Posts

Awesome topic, I'll add my experience with the swap as well. I swapped an 08 ISF TCM, I don't believe there is any difference between years, but I found a same year just in case. The shifts were much quicker, the downshifts are cleaner, and with a good exhaust, sounds amazing! The rev matching isn't perfect so don't expect newer dual clutch rev matching. My 460 was already tuned by Sector7 and has a 7k redline. I did notice the issues with the shift from 1st to 2nd. If I left traction and VSC ON, and launched from over 2k rpm, I would bump off the redline and the shift would be very hard. I remedied this by only launching the car with traction and VSC OFF, and this seems to have solved the issue. It is important to remember, after an ECU reset, your KCLV will reset as well, and the car will seem sluggish until it recovers. I'm installing my headers soon, can't wait for those gains!

Going forced induction would be nice, but I want to see what these cars can do NA. Just headers and tune will have you faster than any GS350/430/450h, and throw a set of lightweight wheels and sticky tires, and your beating FBO is350s, stock GSFs and many other "sports" cars.

This is my best 0-60mph before the swap, just S7 tune, Invidia mid-pipe, lightweight wheels and Michelin Pilot Sport 4S.

After the swap and enough driving to reset my KCLV above 26, I was able to hit sub 5s. Both the before and after runs were completed by launching the car at 2k rpm with traction and VSC OFF. This will achieve a 2.0 60ft as well. Not bad for a heavy luxury car.

The following users liked this post:
mrbondy (03-31-21)
Old 03-31-21, 09:19 PM
mrbondy
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TreysGS460
Awesome topic, I'll add my experience with the swap as well. I swapped an 08 ISF TCM, I don't believe there is any difference between years, but I found a same year just in case. The shifts were much quicker, the downshifts are cleaner, and with a good exhaust, sounds amazing! The rev matching isn't perfect so don't expect newer dual clutch rev matching. My 460 was already tuned by Sector7 and has a 7k redline. I did notice the issues with the shift from 1st to 2nd. If I left traction and VSC ON, and launched from over 2k rpm, I would bump off the redline and the shift would be very hard. I remedied this by only launching the car with traction and VSC OFF, and this seems to have solved the issue. It is important to remember, after an ECU reset, your KCLV will reset as well, and the car will seem sluggish until it recovers. I'm installing my headers soon, can't wait for those gains!

Going forced induction would be nice, but I want to see what these cars can do NA. Just headers and tune will have you faster than any GS350/430/450h, and throw a set of lightweight wheels and sticky tires, and your beating FBO is350s, stock GSFs and many other "sports" cars.

After the swap and enough driving to reset my KCLV above 26, I was able to hit sub 5s. Both the before and after runs were completed by launching the car at 2k rpm with traction and VSC OFF. This will achieve a 2.0 60ft as well. Not bad for a heavy luxury car.
What sort of power and torque difference were you getting from before and after headers+tune?
Old 04-01-21, 07:58 AM
skyyos
Driver

Originally Posted by TreysGS460

This is my best 0-60mph before the swap, just S7 tune, Invidia mid-pipe, lightweight wheels and Michelin Pilot Sport 4S.

My man!! TreysGS460.

3rd or above gears have gotten definitely quicker. It helped me to reduce the lap time accordingly.

My 0~100km is slower gotten slower for sure.

I notice inefficiency in 1st and 2nd gear. Perhaps, my ecu logic is not as smart as yours. I need sector 7 to help me but its very hard to get aid from oversea distance.

Last edited by skyyos; 04-01-21 at 08:04 AM.
The following users liked this post:
RJMacReady (09-13-24)
Old 04-01-21, 08:14 AM
skyyos
Driver

A member named Designo slapped a supercharger on his, but sadly at the time nobody was able to crack open and tune the oem ecu's. Now guys have been able to unlock and tune them. Im pretty sure you can find someone to install it, and have someone remote tune via laptop and live feed while your cars spinning the dynos. Many tuners do this now!
Hows Designo doing now days? :0 hahaha
Old 04-01-21, 11:55 AM
TreysGS460
Intermediate

Received 151 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by mrbondy
What sort of power and torque difference were you getting from before and after headers+tune?
I haven't installed the headers yet, I hope to do it next week after I'm done with midterms. With the tune, Invidia midpipe, stock wheels and 91 octane the car dyno'd at 299whp. Stock is around 270-280whp
Old 04-02-21, 06:01 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by skyyos
Hows Designo doing now days? :0 hahaha
He has been mia since he purchased a GSF
Old 04-02-21, 06:14 AM
skyyos
Driver

He has been mia since he purchased a GSF
NICE!! LOL!! I also went to go look for GSF.
But it was still expensive to buy right now. It does not have fair price list for what it should have worth. I am sticking with 3rd gen. for now.
GSF looks lovely though.

Quick Reply: 2008 GS460 TCU(TCM) SWAPPED(2008 IS-F's)