GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Trans 1/2 fluid change keeping old filter.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-21, 04:41 AM
RogerHomeB
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Trans 1/2 fluid change keeping old filter.

Trans fluid change keeping old filter.

So, I bought the third Lexus my family owns. It's a used 2008 GS 350. The body of the car is in excellent shape, no accidents, interior including Dash and seating in excellent shape no cracks or rips. Odometer showed 118,000 Miles when I purchased. The test drive did not go well because as soon as I pulled onto the street from the dealer parking lot the car began to Jumpin Jupiter during gear changes between 1st,2nd and 3ed. At higher speeds and higher gears it seemed to run fine. the major complaint I have with purchasing this car was the fact that the second set of stimulus checks had gone out to the public and dealers had begun to raise prices on used cars exponentially. I believe I paid an additional $4,000 on top of what the original selling price would have been during a different day and time.

So I make the purchase after talking to the dealer about the transmission issue, but they would not budge on price. That's a long story and I purchased the vehicle knowing I would probably have to get the transmission looked at.

In the past I've worked on transmissions for Dodge, a caravan with success, and a Dodge polara many years ago. I decided to tackle this transmission on my own, before paying the big bucks.

So I talked to at least 3 mechanics before tackling this and had different opinions from all three. First one said don't change the fluid at all the transmission was not designed for that and that's why they sealed it and recommended a replacement. His answer was not satisfactory because after other extended conversations he didn't seem to know what he was talking about anyway.

The 2nd mechanic stated, changing the fluid could possibly damage the transmission completely but recommended I try changing all the fluid and filter. Also said that if it doesn't work I can bring the transmission to him for a replacement.

The 3ed mechanic stated he had worked on Lexus transmissions in the past. His recommendation was to replace only part of the fluid. He did know what he was talking about because after describing that situation with the gears he talked about solenoid C and then discussed the torque converter having typical issues on this type vehicle. It's what he called the torque converter Jitter.

This mechanic recommended a product called shudder fix.

After looking at several videos on YouTube about transmission issues and changing fluid, I decided to do the following:
Drain all transmission fluid in the current pan without removing the pan.
I will not change the filter, at this point anyway.

I had purchased the aftermarket WS fluid from Advance Auto. Idemitsu TLS LV. WS.

I placed a jumper on the computer diagnostic port under the dashboard steering wheel that is located on the kick plate. I place a jumper from pin 4 to 13. That placed the GS 350 in diagnostic mode. The dashboard had lights that go bonkers, which is normal. Change the gears to all and then shifted back and forth from neutral to drive, several times. When the drive light and a neutral light stayed lit that meant that the transmission was warm. I climbed under the car and removed only the screw for the "level tube". This way I could find out if the transmission had been overfilled with transmission fluid. I found that the transmission drained 2.5 quarts of fluid too much. I did this, as I said, from the level plug that has the tube that indicates the transmission is full at the warm temperature. If you don't know what this means, please look it up before you try doing this yourself.

So the previous owner had filled this transmission 2.5 quart over what it should have been. I didn't even know that was possible until doing this. I am surprised the transmission seals did not blow. I put the plug bolt back in.

I shut off the engine.

After measuring this I removed the back drain plug from this GS 350 transmission pan. I drained the remainder of the fluid in the pan.

I allowed the transmission to cool overnight.

The next day I calculated how much fluid I would need to fill the lower pan. I poured 2 quarts of new WS fluid in. The same fluid I mention above.

I filled the transmission with at least 2 quarts of the old fluid that I had taken out earlier.

I put the shutter fix liquid in, after warming the bottle in warm water. The shutter fix liquid is thick so you must warm it up in HOT water before opening the tube.

I am intentionally over feeling the transmission at this point. However I'm not overfilling it to the point the previous owner did. I'm doing this intentionally so I can warm the transmission up and then drain the level to the correct amount. (Yes, that will mix old and new WS)

Now I start the engine with the jumper on the computer port, on pin 4 to13.

Note, do this at your own risk.!!

I warm the engine up and once again shifted the transmission between all gears and then between neutral and drive several times until the neutral and drive light stay lit. This means that the transmission is now warm.

Then climb back under the car and immediately removed the bolt for the level tube, level check.

So with the car level, on jack stands, I drained excess fluid when the transmission is at the correct temperature for this test.

After the transmission fluid began to drip from this port, I placed transmission bolt to seal this port / plug.

Shut the engine Off, remove the jumper from the computer port and took the car off the jack stands. I tested the transmission by shifting it to all gears again and then driving only in my driveway in reverse and in drive back and forth. That way I could test to make sure the transmission is actually grabbing gear and shifting to the correct gears, for 1st gear and reverse only.

Then I took the car on a drive. I took the car in the neighborhood several times and then out of the neighborhood and onto the expressway. It was amazing immediately!

I did not expect to feel a difference right away. I expected it to take at least 200 miles before I saw any difference. It shifted without Jitter and all other gears extremely smooth.

Since that time I've put 500 miles on the car and no other transmission issues.

Hopefully, this might help someone if they have a similar issue. I think I was really lucky that someone overfilled the transmission and it did not blow the seals.

End...

Last edited by RogerHomeB; 05-04-21 at 06:33 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RogerHomeB:
06LexAWD (04-29-21), mspearl95 (05-04-21)
Old 05-04-21, 06:16 AM
Oceans13
Advanced

Received 214 Likes on 131 Posts

I'd have just used Toyota ATF and get the correct amount of fluid in without additives, but Im glad it worked for you.
The following users liked this post:
RogerHomeB (05-04-21)
Old 05-04-21, 08:52 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 770 Likes on 664 Posts

Awesome work! But like the comment above I wouldnt use a thickening additive when the original issue was an over filled transmissions. This aisin transmissions are sensitve to fluid levels. Sucks you purchased the car at a $4,000.00 premium I would have waited until the prices dropped to purchase a car.