GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Tpms probs.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-21, 10:25 PM
Kingtut89
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tpms probs.

Hey everyone. So I've been dealing with a weird problem for about 2months. Well it started 2 months ago. When it first started, I had a check system light come on and the tpms light would just blink ( I think that indicated a fault in the system, not the tpms, cant remember as its been a while but i believe if it was tpms sensor, the light would be steady, and the display says check tpms or low tire etc.) But I did scan the tpms sensors and one was not registering on the scan tool. Soooo I ordered a new denso tpms sensor. I installed it, tried to relearn it. The tool for some odd reason wouldnt go into relearn, or even manual entry. So I said f it, I'll drive for a while as it'll relearn itself. Got in the car, drove it for a day, more than 30mins for sure. It should have relearned by now. But light was still blinking at me and check system still was displayed. I went to scan the new tpms and it was registering to the tool. So thats a start lol. But we kept getting a code for the module itself saying fault. I went to leave and was already researching for new module. As I got in the car to leave, the check system warning was gone lol. I was scratching my head. Soooo I said welp, now I don't need to order one. Well today, I was driving home and the check system and light came back on (blinking continuously) so I just ordered a new tpms module (one located on the center nav screen control panel etc.) I will be replacing that to see if that's the prob, hoping it is. Has anyone had this problem? If so, did you change the module and it was fixed? When changing the module, is it plug and play or will I need to relearn the module itself? The module is from a donor car which is excatly like mine, same model, year, color etc. If I do need to relearn the module, how is that properly done? Thank you for any input or insight on this. Hope everyone has a great day!
Old 07-16-21, 06:55 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 792 Likes on 685 Posts

The system does not learn new sensors, you have to manually log in the serial numbers of each sensor and log that into the ecu. Hopefully you snapped a pic of the serial numbers of each sensor before mounting them. If not there are tire shops with special scanners that can scan for the numbers, then they will need to use another computer to log those numbers into the ecu.
Old 07-16-21, 07:16 AM
Kingtut89
Driver

Originally Posted by ibidu1
The system does not learn new sensors, you have to manually log in the serial numbers of each sensor and log that into the ecu. Hopefully you snapped a pic of the serial numbers of each sensor before mounting them. If not there are tire shops with special scanners that can scan for the numbers, then they will need to use another computer to log those numbers into the ecu.
So again, all tpms sensors are new. All already installed. I have the scan tool for the tpms sensors itself amd ob2 scanner enabled with tpms registery..I can manually enter them. What I'm asking though is the new control module, not tpms sensors.. but the module itself, is it plug and play, or is there amything i need to do to program to the ecu. Or am i just going to program the tpms sensors etc? And is the reason why I couldn't manually enter them or put the car into relearn mode due to a faulty contol module? So just to vlarify for response, what i read was the new module does not need any special programming to the car itself, but the tpms sensors will need to be emtered to the new system and I'll be golden? Ty again!! Sorry, was a long night, am just nw waking up. So if i misunderstood, apologies!
Old 07-16-21, 07:58 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 792 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingtut89
So again, all tpms sensors are new. All already installed. I have the scan tool for the tpms sensors itself amd ob2 scanner enabled with tpms registery..I can manually enter them. What I'm asking though is the new control module, not tpms sensors.. but the module itself, is it plug and play, or is there amything i need to do to program to the ecu. Or am i just going to program the tpms sensors etc? And is the reason why I couldn't manually enter them or put the car into relearn mode due to a faulty contol module? So just to vlarify for response, what i read was the new module does not need any special programming to the car itself, but the tpms sensors will need to be emtered to the new system and I'll be golden? Ty again!! Sorry, was a long night, am just nw waking up. So if i misunderstood, apologies!
The toyota/lexus tpms is kinda of old skool, you need to copy the serial number of each sensor before installing. Then you type that that into the cars ecu, under the tpms. You will see 5 spaces for tpms registering, you will type in the 4 sensors and the 5th you just leave the same zeros. Save and thats all you do!

Since you already installed the sensors, im not sure if you wrote down the sensors serial numbers. If you did not hey make a special tool just for retrieving the serial numbers, many tire shops have this, and it differs from ordinary scan tool. You have the unit infront of the tire stem and it will retrieve its serial number. Using that tool can save you from paying to unmount the tires and removing the sensors again.
Old 07-16-21, 08:03 AM
Kingtut89
Driver

Sweet, yes i have to tpms scan tool that can retrieve the numbers! And the ob2 tool to reset everything, learn etc. Ty again!! Appreciate your time and help