GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Coolant loss

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-22, 07:08 AM
GSkid7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant loss

So after a few days in my 07 gs350 awd. I'm noticing a Los of coolant at a somewhat Considerable rate. I looked from the top at the waterpump and cant really see any pink residue. Should I try to replace it anyway or is there anywhere I else I can really check? Were getting hit with some heavy snow in the midwest right now so I've just been refilling it. But even when the coolant gets really low it still sits at operating temp. Only thing noticeable it the heat gets cool when stopped..
Old 02-02-22, 01:11 PM
stevewins
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check your radiator cap on the water inlet, they fall apart over time. I just replaced mine for the same reason, although my water pump has been weeping also. If the cap is bad, it won’t draw the water back in when the car cools, and it’ll overflow steam into the overflow box and push out some of the coolant in there, eventually emptying the box.
The following users liked this post:
GSkid7 (02-03-22)
Old 02-02-22, 01:45 PM
CruzinGS
Pit Crew

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

For the water pump, it's important to get a mirror or look from the underside of the pump to check for leakage. There is a weep hole that drains to the bottom, so a small amount of the pink scale is normal, but any significant build-up would indicate a need to replace the pump. I'd also suggest checking the thermostat, as it is a plastic housing connected to the main water inlet connection. If you are low enough on coolant that the heater stops functioning, there isn't enough coolant to properly circulate and cool the engine, and driving for extended periods in that condition could result in significant engine damage (blown head gasket kind of thing). One member here noted that their temperature gauge wasn't very sensitive to changes in temperature, and unless coolant is circulating, the temperature gauge may be reading an air temperature, not the temperature around the cylinders.
GSkid7 (02-03-22)
Old 02-03-22, 05:53 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 781 Likes on 674 Posts

Sounds like you may have a blown head gasket! I would take the car to a mechanic and have him check out the car. Its very common on our cars for the water pump to go bad. This is why I preach always replace it at 90k miles before it goes out on you and you overheat the engine and cook the head gaskets. The water pump is only $95 for an aisin (oem rebrand) brand on rockauto.com. Labor only takes 2 hours, and its an easy job! I would also replace the thermostat with a aisin or denso.

It maybe too late for you! if the coolant drains quickly! But its best to have a mechanic go through it, so you dont waste money installing a new water pump
GSkid7 (02-03-22)
Old 02-03-22, 06:26 AM
Oceans13
Advanced

Received 214 Likes on 131 Posts

Check your engine oil. Does it look milky?
Old 02-03-22, 07:45 AM
GSkid7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Oceans13
Check your engine oil. Does it look milky?
that's the first think I looked at. But nope, it's golden
Old 02-03-22, 08:09 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Try looking under the front radiator core support, you want to look at the top of the actual radiator. The radiator top seal is a common leaking area. It usually weeps slowly
GSkid7 (02-03-22)
Old 02-03-22, 01:13 PM
GSkid7
Driver School Candidate

I'll have the car in the air sometime this week but I ordered a waterpump just to get it out of the way. But can anyone help me figure out what this hose is suppose to be connected to? I'm assuming the point in front of it but I'm wonder if this is contributing to my issue

Last edited by GSkid7; 02-03-22 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Spelling/grammatical errors
Old 02-03-22, 01:53 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

That kinda looks like a ac pipe popped off or someone forgot to install it. Does the ac work in the car?
Old 02-03-22, 03:04 PM
GSkid7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ibidu1
That kinda looks like a ac pipe popped off or someone forgot to install it. Does the ac work in the car?
honeslty haven't used it since it hasn't touched 40 really here in Chicago lol
Old 02-03-22, 03:30 PM
lexo98
Pole Position

Received 278 Likes on 240 Posts

If you ran the car low enough on coolant the system can draw in air and create pockets. Even when you think it's full its really not. I would suggest you try and burp the system before you do anything else if you haven't noticed any leaks...
Old 02-03-22, 05:14 PM
GSkid7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexo98
If you ran the car low enough on coolant the system can draw in air and create pockets. Even when you think it's full its really not. I would suggest you try and burp the system before you do anything else if you haven't noticed any leaks...
I'll give it a try, when I bought it, it was low but I didn't realize till I got home, I thought the second hose on the resivoir connected to nothing was kinda the "self burping hose lol". Again never a hose I've had before. Dumb question but the radiator resivoir cap is on the top of the engine under the engine cover? I'm used to gms where it's right on the radiator it's self.. I'm worried I'm doing the dumb dumb and filling the reservoir compared to just using the radiator cap...
Old 02-04-22, 02:29 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GSkid7
I'll give it a try, when I bought it, it was low but I didn't realize till I got home, I thought the second hose on the resivoir connected to nothing was kinda the "self burping hose lol". Again never a hose I've had before. Dumb question but the radiator resivoir cap is on the top of the engine under the engine cover? I'm used to gms where it's right on the radiator it's self.. I'm worried I'm doing the dumb dumb and filling the reservoir compared to just using the radiator cap...
You need to pop open the engine cover and remove the radiator cap. Fill the coolant to the top with red coolant, but better to use toyota premix coolant after you finish the water pump.

Also if the cap is old, I would replace that aswell with an oem as they are pretty cheap.

But make sure with a mechanic to verify that you do not have a blown head gasket before you dump money into the thing. If the previous owner blew the head gasket, then sold it off to you as is.
Old 02-04-22, 05:36 AM
GSkid7
Driver School Candidate

You need to pop open the engine cover and remove the radiator cap. Fill the coolant to the top with red coolant, but better to use toyota premix coolant after you finish the water pump.

Also if the cap is old, I would replace that aswell with an oem as they are pretty cheap.

But make sure with a mechanic to verify that you do not have a blown head gasket before you dump money into the thing. If the previous owner blew the head gasket, then sold it off to you as is.
I'll try refilling it from the radiator.. my tech is coming to look at it this weekend to make sure it's the pump. But hopefully it's not it has a "new" 80k mile engine in it... I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a problem of me refilling from the resivoir lol
Old 02-04-22, 07:26 AM
GSkid7
Driver School Candidate

I'll try refilling it from the radiator.. my tech is coming to look at it this weekend to make sure it's the pump. But hopefully it's not it has a "new" 80k mile engine in it... I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a problem of me refilling from the resivoir lol

Quick Reply: Coolant loss