GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS460 Headers

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-22, 05:16 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,333 Likes on 1,059 Posts

I had a GS460. Some years back I read that the IS F headers did fit. That the Flange just over hung a little bit more on one or the other, but that they still matched up and fit without a problem. It's just what I read on the question of the IS F headers on the the GS460, but I never got them, but I had planned to. So don't take what I am sharing for definite, but again I read someone who did it, and even had asked PPE if they would fit too. Trying to remember ,that they looked at the LS460/GS460 Stock manifold vs the ISF stock manifold and they were possibly the same? Again I wont say for sure but thats some info on a starting point 2nd option.

That Headers price is really way too high. If the IS F fit, you could buy a Set of ones here like this.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/23423126719...sAAOSw8LdhXM5l

Sorry but it's normally what I do when someone wants $2k plus for some Headers when you can get V8 or V6 Headers for other cars like BMW or MB for $600.

Last edited by jgscott; 02-21-22 at 05:23 AM.
Old 02-21-22, 06:42 AM
Bastrd6
Pit Crew

Received 88 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
I had a GS460. Some years back I read that the IS F headers did fit. That the Flange just over hung a little bit more on one or the other, but that they still matched up and fit without a problem. It's just what I read on the question of the IS F headers on the the GS460, but I never got them, but I had planned to. So don't take what I am sharing for definite, but again I read someone who did it, and even had asked PPE if they would fit too. Trying to remember ,that they looked at the LS460/GS460 Stock manifold vs the ISF stock manifold and they were possibly the same? Again I wont say for sure but thats some info on a starting point 2nd option.

That Headers price is really way too high. If the IS F fit, you could buy a Set of ones here like this.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/23423126719...sAAOSw8LdhXM5l

Sorry but it's normally what I do when someone wants $2k plus for some Headers when you can get V8 or V6 Headers for other cars like BMW or MB for $600.

Those are both quite a bit larger markets. Coming from a fan of M113 powered cars. The ISF is low production. The Gs460 is low production. And MBH headers for a C55 are also 2200 dollars.
Old 02-21-22, 08:40 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bastrd6
Those are both quite a bit larger markets. Coming from a fan of M113 powered cars. The ISF is low production. The Gs460 is low production. And MBH headers for a C55 are also 2200 dollars.
Not sure what you are saying? Yes but $2k is $2k when if you see my link there is $800.

BTW: in 2017 my Friend bought a set of Brand new nice Headers for His C55 for $349 They were post linked on the MB forum, a few got them. They worked great and are still currently on his car he tuned and Dyno'd. Not sure why you are trying to explain to me one off isolated cases? I was trying tying to share what I remembered about the IS F fit is all, when I owned a GS460. Not go off topic about C55's. I guess when you think Bent Steel tubes cost $2200 they work better than those that cost way less.
Old 02-21-22, 04:45 PM
Bastrd6
Pit Crew

Not sure what you are saying? Yes but $2k is $2k when if you see my link there is $800.

BTW: in 2017 my Friend bought a set of Brand new nice Headers for His C55 for $349 They were post linked on the MB forum, a few got them. They worked great and are still currently on his car he tuned and Dyno'd. Not sure why you are trying to explain to me one off isolated cases? I was trying tying to share what I remembered about the IS F fit is all, when I owned a GS460. Not go off topic about C55's. I guess when you think Bent Steel tubes cost $2200 they work better than those that cost way less.

I'm saying 2200 is fairly common and it could actually be worse.

Btw 349 you're talking about some Ebay shorties(probably a renntech replica) not a long tube. Some of the SL and even E/CL and such do have a cheaper longtube option. But the C55? No. And in this particular "isolated case" the 2200 dollar headers performed better than the replica shorty.

Even in the mustang world you can drop 2k for a set of headers. Hell in the RCF world you can drop 8k for a set of headers. Then again a quality brand longtube header in the Corvette world can easily cost 2k + you know another isolated issue. Oh cant forget the camaro. Where a good brand header can cost 2k. Oh sorry another isolated issue.

And an isf manifold wont fit a gs460 and they are incredibly prone to cracking. The LS may fit. But would likely need to be modified. And sourcing a set arent cheap unless you can find a set with the cat hacked off.

But I'll get back to my "isolated cases".
Old 02-21-22, 07:13 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

I'm saying 2200 is fairly common and it could actually be worse.

Btw 349 you're talking about some Ebay shorties(probably a renntech replica) not a long tube. Some of the SL and even E/CL and such do have a cheaper longtube option. But the C55? No. And in this particular "isolated case" the 2200 dollar headers performed better than the replica shorty.

Even in the mustang world you can drop 2k for a set of headers. Hell in the RCF world you can drop 8k for a set of headers. Then again a quality brand longtube header in the Corvette world can easily cost 2k + you know another isolated issue. Oh cant forget the camaro. Where a good brand header can cost 2k. Oh sorry another isolated issue.

And an isf manifold wont fit a gs460 and they are incredibly prone to cracking. The LS may fit. But would likely need to be modified. And sourcing a set arent cheap unless you can find a set with the cat hacked off.

But I'll get back to my "isolated cases".
Well in this case I said about the $349 Headers... They were posted on the MB Forum. They were Not shorty Headers because I saw them on the Forum, and when he had them shipped to him. I also know my friend owns a C55 and I know when he bought it. I was there when during the Headers were installed in the shop.

Not sure why you keep going up and up to $8k headers. I have friends who even have Modded Bentley GT's. The Cat Back itself is $10k. I never said Headers could not be very expensive. Not sure why you keep justifying expense and what's on my friends C55 that you don't know? BTW: do you have Headers on your car?
Old 02-21-22, 07:27 PM
Bastrd6
Pit Crew

Well in this case I said about the $349 Headers... They were posted on the MB Forum. They were Not shorty Headers because I saw them on the Forum, and when he had them shipped to him. I also know my friend owns a C55 and I know when he bought it. I was there when during the Headers were installed in the shop.

Not sure why you keep going up and up to $8k headers. I have friends who even have Modded Bentley GT's. The Cat Back itself is $10k. I never said Headers could not be very expensive. Not sure why you keep justifying expense and what's on my friends C55 that you don't know? BTW: do you have Headers on your car?

I'm very familiar with w203,w204,w209,w210, and w211 platforms.

Point is you pay to play. Do some research on those 800 dollar headers. You'll find out they are an obx rough copy of a sikky v1 headers (which means you should probably also buy the sikky dipstick as itll likely not fit with the stock one. That 3/8th flange they advertise? People have had to grind down to fit. Which means it's no longer a 3/8 flange. The flange itself wont fit the 1UR head.

Why did I keep going up in price? Well that's simple you claimed it was an isolated case. But its not. Its close to the rule. And not the exception.

As far as headers ive ran? Bbk,hooker, kooks, and have an order in for these ppe headers for my gs460. Also have a set of fab speed headers ordered for my Cayman.

It's the price we pay as hobbiests. And honestly 2k doesnt seem bad and could be worse. Especially in this wonderful world of inflation!
Old 02-21-22, 07:47 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

I'm very familiar with w203,w204,w209,w210, and w211 platforms.

Point is you pay to play. Do some research on those 800 dollar headers. You'll find out they are an obx rough copy of a sikky v1 headers (which means you should probably also buy the sikky dipstick as itll likely not fit with the stock one. That 3/8th flange they advertise? People have had to grind down to fit. Which means it's no longer a 3/8 flange. The flange itself wont fit the 1UR head.

Why did I keep going up in price? Well that's simple you claimed it was an isolated case. But its not. Its close to the rule. And not the exception.

As far as headers ive ran? Bbk,hooker, kooks, and have an order in for these ppe headers for my gs460. Also have a set of fab speed headers ordered for my Cayman.

It's the price we pay as hobbiests. And honestly 2k doesnt seem bad and could be worse. Especially in this wonderful world of inflation!
I've been here a long time. Seen lots of Lexus Headers for different cars. Seen Headers modded cut and Weld to fit that ppl said they won't fit.

Had the 1st set of V8 Lexus JB Headers ever. Hp to dollars is what most evaluate. You are entitled to your opinion. I've seen lots of them here.. come and go. I'll leave it at that. Without out the need for animations. Have a nice day!
Old 02-21-22, 08:25 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts

Here's what Scotty has to say-

Old 02-22-22, 07:43 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 770 Likes on 664 Posts

The price of the headers in the end after you purchase and weld in a cat, flanges, and install will cost you around $3,000 to mount on a car thats worth $10,000

Not knocking on the quality of the headers im sure there great, but theres nothing special about them, atleast for the price throw in a welded high flow cat or run titanium metal
Old 02-22-22, 07:55 AM
Bastrd6
Pit Crew

I've been here a long time. Seen lots of Lexus Headers for different cars. Seen Headers modded cut and Weld to fit that ppl said they won't fit.

Had the 1st set of V8 Lexus JB Headers ever. Hp to dollars is what most evaluate. You are entitled to your opinion. I've seen lots of them here.. come and go. I'll leave it at that. Without out the need for animations. Have a nice day!

Some of the GS460 group had already discussed your header idea. And I'm sure you've seen many opinions over the years. Hell Ive been in 1 of the forums now for 23 years. However that cutting and welding cost time and money and quality welding time adds up fast! Can it be done? Sure! But at what cost? That flange that people have ground down to help fit is now more prone to warping. The welds inside of the runner arent smoothed down. And youll need to spend another 100 bucks on the dipstick.

Cool that you had the first set of headers from a company? I had the first carbed cordia converted over to a turbo efi car in the world. Hell I had the first v6 mustang to have oem launch control. I had the first 2.4 auto to have a prototype JBP header. Really these are just micro records and not worthy of even posting. Nor are they relevant to the post.

Sometimes you have to pay to play. And sometimes the more expensive route isnt as expensive as you think once youve tried to use a lesser part and modify it to fit.

Old 02-22-22, 07:59 AM
Bastrd6
Pit Crew

Talking

Originally Posted by ibidu1
The price of the headers in the end after you purchase and weld in a cat, flanges, and install will cost you around $3,000 to mount on a car thats worth $10,000

Not knocking on the quality of the headers im sure there great, but theres nothing special about them, atleast for the price throw in a welded high flow cat or run titanium metal
Modifying cars has never been a good financial decision. And sometimes its just fun to build something thats different and rare. 2400 in my case and my eyes out the door is totally worth it to me for what I get. Though personally I wouldve paid another 1000 if they were in inconel! lol
Old 02-22-22, 09:42 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Some of the GS460 group had already discussed your header idea. And I'm sure you've seen many opinions over the years. Hell Ive been in 1 of the forums now for 23 years. However that cutting and welding cost time and money and quality welding time adds up fast! Can it be done? Sure! But at what cost? That flange that people have ground down to help fit is now more prone to warping. The welds inside of the runner arent smoothed down. And youll need to spend another 100 bucks on the dipstick.

Cool that you had the first set of headers from a company? I had the first carbed cordia converted over to a turbo efi car in the world. Hell I had the first v6 mustang to have oem launch control. I had the first 2.4 auto to have a prototype JBP header. Really these are just micro records and not worthy of even posting. Nor are they relevant to the post.

Sometimes you have to pay to play. And sometimes the more expensive route isnt as expensive as you think once youve tried to use a lesser part and modify it to fit.
I asked before? Do you have Headers on your "Lexus"?

There were 900hp plus give or take GS's, IS's, and SC's here for give or take over 25 years now. Headers were being welded up for $300 at at shops with Mandel bend pieces is all. A good Header is simple in its design and function. Matter's not if its a $2200 plus shipping and Tax cost one or a modified to improve the Ventri effect. A Exhaust Manifold design improvement must create velocity of air as opposed to volume. The FASTER the air goes through the motor, the better it atomizes the fuel into a vapor which in turn produces an exponentially bigger explosion in the cylinder. Its as Siple as that. Period. Don't need to get into Phd Physics about all that I already know, what I know.

My point is a Junk yard exhaust part welded in a shop for $300 effective flow Venturi improvement, or a cheaper bolt on $650 Header would do the same. In fact better, in the Horsepower vs Dollars spent for the = Gain, as lots others are also saying here about the net worth. ex. the LS Headers reworked.

[size=13px]If you read back your different post and I may please quote you on your direct responses to me - "v6 mustangs, turbo efi, 2.4 auto, [/size][size=13px]long tube headers on other cars I've owned, MBH headers for a C55, longtube header in the Corvette, Oh cant forget the camaro, I'm very familiar with w203,w204,w209,w210, and w211 platforms, headers ive ran? Bbk,hooker, kooks, Also have a set of fab speed headers". This is what I meant by I have seen it come and go over the 25 years and 14 years on the GS460 many owned . [/size]

[size=13px]Ok, now just FYI you said you would have paid up to $3400 for a Headers for the Lexus + install at $600 to $1000, for the average person? What way better gains you could have had for that kinda money? Even Custom 1 off Headers. If you want to PM me and you are in Metro Atlanta, I can give you 2 shops that could build far superior Header for your Lexus for you for less than that. Give is just a few months from now, a $700 GS460 Long Tube Header will show up, watch. Now please don't shoot the messenger, your are the messenger. BTW: I see you updated you Sig. Nice! [/size]

Old 02-22-22, 12:26 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
Talking

There were 900hp plus give or take GS's, IS's, and SC's here for give or take over 25 years now. Headers were being welded up for $300 at at shops with Mandel bend pieces is all. A good Header is simple in its design and function. Matter's not if its a $2200 plus shipping and Tax cost one or a modified to improve the Ventri effect. A Exhaust Manifold design improvement must create velocity of air as opposed to volume. The FASTER the air goes through the motor, the better it atomizes the fuel into a vapor which in turn produces an exponentially bigger explosion in the cylinder. Its as Siple as that. Period. Don't need to get into Phd Physics about all that I already know, what I know.

My point is a Junk yard exhaust part welded in a shop for $300 effective flow Venturi improvement, or a cheaper bolt on $650 Header would do the same. In fact better, in the Horsepower vs Dollars spent for the = Gain, as lots others are also saying here about the net worth. ex. the LS Headers reworked.

[size=13px]If you read back your different post and I may please quote you on your direct responses to me - "v6 mustangs, turbo efi, 2.4 auto, [/size][size=13px]long tube headers on other cars I've owned, MBH headers for a C55, longtube header in the Corvette, Oh cant forget the camaro, I'm very familiar with w203,w204,w209,w210, and w211 platforms, headers ive ran? Bbk,hooker, kooks, Also have a set of fab speed headers". This is what I meant by I have seen it come and go over the 25 years and 14 years on the GS460 many owned . [/size]

[size=13px]Ok, now just FYI you said you would have paid up to $3400 for a Headers for the Lexus + install at $600 to $1000, for the average person? What way better gains you could have had for that kinda money? Even Custom 1 off Headers. If you want to PM me and you are in Metro Atlanta, I can give you 2 shops that could build far superior Header for your Lexus for you for less than that. Give is just a few months from now, a $700 GS460 Long Tube Header will show up, watch. Now please don't shoot the messenger, your are the messenger. BTW: I see you updated you Sig. Nice! [/size]

well, its still better than straight-piping a Tesla
Old 02-22-22, 05:47 PM
Bastrd6
Pit Crew

Let me help you out.

Ordered them. Not going to say it didnt hurt though!
Though personally I wouldve paid another 1000 if they were in inconel! lol

I havent updated my sig in months.
And I'll expect the same results from a 700 dollar gs460 header as I will from the 800 dollar ISf headers you posted. Poor fitment and needing additional hardware.

Sure do a hack up of an OEM manifold I'd expect 300 dollars worth of Improvement.

spend 650 on cheap headers I'd expect about 500 dollars in performance improvement and probably another couple hundred just to make them right.

And this isnt 93. You cant even get a shop to make you a 300 dollar shorty header from scratch. Not with overhead,materials, hourly cost of a welder.

Have I seen an exhaust shop do an exhaust for 300? Sure back in 93. Or today for crimp bent alumized steel. Mandrel 304 or better steel? Hell no.

And my point of all the car **** was the same as yours. Showing knowledge.

So back to the original point.

These headers are the best available option for the GS460.
Old 02-25-22, 01:26 PM
charger350
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can only imagine how hard it’s gonna be to install these being that it’s a 460. These engine bays are tight