GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Need help diagnosing car pulling right

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-22, 06:14 AM
evrynite
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Oh yea, I forgot to mention that I replaced both front bearings as well. My car seemed to pull to the right all the time. Coincidentally the right-side bearing was quite worn and a bit rough sounding when turning.

Your car should handle and run like new after the work is done. And hopefully no more alignment problems.

Out of curiosity...how much for labor? Parts?
The following users liked this post:
AmanES300 (10-06-22)
Old 10-05-22, 10:45 PM
AmanES300
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by evrynite
Oh yea, I forgot to mention that I replaced both front bearings as well. My car seemed to pull to the right all the time. Coincidentally the right-side bearing was quite worn and a bit rough sounding when turning.

Your car should handle and run like new after the work is done. And hopefully no more alignment problems.

Out of curiosity...how much for labor? Parts?
got the car back, but I regret going to the mechanic I went to.

In order to change out the right side bushing (he claims a nut that should be welded to the subframe was spinning free so he couldn’t get it out), he cut a hole in my subframe. I’m pretty pissed and confused. Why he didn’t just call me before doing something drastic, I’ve no idea.

We agreed to $300 for the labor beforehand and I spent a total of $250 on parts (both wheel hubs and both bushings). I’m gonna take a good look at what he did tomorrow. Hopefully he didn’t reduce the structural integrity too much otherwise I’ll have to get it replaced (I’m guessing $1.5k min.). I’m hoping I can just put some coating over the exposed parts for rust and not have to worry about it until inspection next year.

Car isn’t pulling rn but a few days will really tell. Steering wheel feels nice and firm, haven’t come across any of the crazy swaying it did when going over bumps. Needs an alignment though.

There’s definitely more rolling resistance to these wheel hubs but I’m hoping they just need to be broken in, if that’s even a thing for wheel bearings. I basically can’t move without giving it gas when I’m in snow mode. Overall the car feels more firm, but I only drove to fill up on gas in the rain. I’ll be more in tune with it tomorrow.

im really bummed about the subframe though. I don’t know if I should go through insurance. Any suggestions?
Old 10-06-22, 12:35 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 770 Likes on 664 Posts

Originally Posted by AmanES300
got the car back, but I regret going to the mechanic I went to.

In order to change out the right side bushing (he claims a nut that should be welded to the subframe was spinning free so he couldn’t get it out), he cut a hole in my subframe. I’m pretty pissed and confused. Why he didn’t just call me before doing something drastic, I’ve no idea.

We agreed to $300 for the labor beforehand and I spent a total of $250 on parts (both wheel hubs and both bushings). I’m gonna take a good look at what he did tomorrow. Hopefully he didn’t reduce the structural integrity too much otherwise I’ll have to get it replaced (I’m guessing $1.5k min.). I’m hoping I can just put some coating over the exposed parts for rust and not have to worry about it until inspection next year.

Car isn’t pulling rn but a few days will really tell. Steering wheel feels nice and firm, haven’t come across any of the crazy swaying it did when going over bumps. Needs an alignment though.

There’s definitely more rolling resistance to these wheel hubs but I’m hoping they just need to be broken in, if that’s even a thing for wheel bearings. I basically can’t move without giving it gas when I’m in snow mode. Overall the car feels more firm, but I only drove to fill up on gas in the rain. I’ll be more in tune with it tomorrow.

im really bummed about the subframe though. I don’t know if I should go through insurance. Any suggestions?
After you replace that bottom bushing you will need a wheel alignment immediately, because that bushing can throw off the toe in the alignment and basically chew up the front tires. You can get by with just a front wheel alignment, but a 4 wheel is best. I would look for a shop that has a good hunter brand laser alignment.
The following users liked this post:
AmanES300 (10-06-22)
Old 10-06-22, 03:55 PM
AmanES300
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ibidu1
After you replace that bottom bushing you will need a wheel alignment immediately, because that bushing can throw off the toe in the alignment and basically chew up the front tires. You can get by with just a front wheel alignment, but a 4 wheel is best. I would look for a shop that has a good hunter brand laser alignment.
thanks for the tip on the machine. Turns out my usual shop has it so I left my car there after work. thanks for the help guys! Really appreciate it.