GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

How to upgrade headlights to the 3-projector version

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-23 | 09:37 PM
AightDen13
2nd gear

So tired of looking at my 13’s yellowed and foggy headlights. I’ve had lexus refinishes them so many times, they gave me my money back. Even pulled them out and did a thorough refinishing only to have them last 6 months, if that. The poor light output is making it unsafe to drive for my wife.

These triple beams look sharp. So are they plug and play on a 13 f-sport? No programming/coding needed?
Old 03-10-23 | 02:24 AM
PGA71
Advanced

Originally Posted by AightDen13
So tired of looking at my 13’s yellowed and foggy headlights. I’ve had lexus refinishes them so many times, they gave me my money back. Even pulled them out and did a thorough refinishing only to have them last 6 months, if that. The poor light output is making it unsafe to drive for my wife.

These triple beams look sharp. So are they plug and play on a 13 f-sport? No programming/coding needed?
They are suppose to be plug and play according to some of the posters here.

Same as you, on my 13, they were very yellow and hazy and was considering upgrading the headlights.
But gave the 3M HL Restoration Kit, Heavy Duty 2-Pack and Meguiar’s G17804 Keep Clear Headlight Coating a shot which I purchased off Amazon. (Both links below)

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

It removed all the haze and anything else that was on there because of the elements over the years.

Watched a couple of youtubes that gave me confidence that I had all the tools I needed to do the job right.
Had to buy automotive masking tape to cover around the lenses to protect the paint and used my cordless drill.

Only had to use one of the packages in the 3M 2-Pack, but wanted the extras in case I needed to redo or needed more sandpaper or compound because of the amount of haze that was there.

Then sprayed 2 coats of Meguier’s headlight clear coat about 15 minutes apart which I think was the key. This step makes the headlights look amazing and provides protection so that the haze / yellowing does not return.

Entire process took about 90 minutes including cleanup.

Give it a shot if you want to keep the stock look.

Last edited by PGA71; 03-10-23 at 05:07 AM. Reason: grammer
Old 03-10-23 | 07:51 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Lot's of owners had shops install PPF like Xpel to their headlights with success. Even if you buy brand new headlamps, they'll become hazy after a year or two. I think the only way to stop the hazing and yellowing is to have affected headlights restored and then have PPF or ceramic coating installed:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...eadlights.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...tion-film.html

For me, i've done the more laborious route of a once a year process: using Maguire's Headlamp Restoration kit.
Old 03-10-23 | 08:39 AM
kietlander
Racer

Originally Posted by jgscott
Get a Quote for the shipping cost to you.
$120 for shipping including