GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Bike rack options discussion (merged megathread)

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-13, 08:35 AM
ECL
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by rockyman
I have a roadbike and just take off the front wheel and it fits in the trunk fine
You must have a small road bike. After reading this, I just spent fifteen minutes trying to fit my bike, minus the front wheel, into my trunk, and simply does not fit. Do you have a GS350 SUV?
Old 04-14-13, 08:13 AM
larryinWA
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also had a trunk mounted rack for my Accord. It's an old car, so I didn't mind the scratches and marks it left over time. I used it a couple hundred times and it does mark the paint after a while. I would not use it on a car I wanted to keep looking nice. Went to REI over the weekend and they referred me to a local place that does custom hitches. From their website, it looks like they mostly weld the hitch to the car. I'll check them out soon. They confirmed that the cost of complying with regulations here is very steep. The liability issues are significant, apparently. Hitches are going to look ugly on this car, but it has to be done because I'm not riding my bike on the streets with cars.
Old 04-27-13, 07:55 PM
larryinWA
Pole Position

Just ordered a hitch from etrailer. I'll install myself. Looks easy. I'll be biking again in a couple weeks.
Old 04-27-13, 08:06 PM
ECL
Instructor

Originally Posted by larryinWA
Just ordered a hitch from etrailer. I'll install myself. Looks easy. I'll be biking again in a couple weeks.
Let us know how it works out.
Old 04-28-13, 05:47 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 770 Likes on 664 Posts

I always tow bikes with my 3GS I have a curtis hitch, and use a very light 5x8 trailer I purchased from lowes.

This combo, works very well you don't even feel the trailer being pulled. Ive hauled many things with it Couches, dirt bikes, sport bikes, yard waste works great.

I had this same setup on my older IS250
Attached Thumbnails Bike rack options discussion (merged megathread)-img_2493.jpg  
Old 04-28-13, 08:08 PM
larryinWA
Pole Position

Nice trailer. I could use one of those. I'll be getting a small bike rack for everyday use, though.
Old 04-29-13, 06:19 AM
Bill_GS3
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please let me know if you get that hicth to work. The one they show is the Curt 11372, I have that hitch from my 08 GS 350, it doesn't fit the 2013. I have called Curt Mfg several times about there site being wrong.
Old 04-29-13, 08:29 PM
larryinWA
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bill_GS3
Please let me know if you get that hicth to work. The one they show is the Curt 11372, I have that hitch from my 08 GS 350, it doesn't fit the 2013. I have called Curt Mfg several times about there site being wrong.
Will do. It's supposed to arrive Friday, so i'll find out this weekend
Old 05-04-13, 03:10 PM
larryinWA
Pole Position

Default Didn't work

I got the trailer hitch from Curt Mfg and you're right. It does not fit. I'll try to attach a picture showing how far off the bolt holes are. I bolted the passenger side and you can see from this picture of the drivers side, that the it's about 1.5 inches short. Maybe because this car is wider than previous models.
Attached Thumbnails Bike rack options discussion (merged megathread)-img_1029-1.jpg  
Old 05-05-13, 10:35 AM
ECL
Instructor

I got the trailer hitch from Curt Mfg and you're right. It does not fit. I'll try to attach a picture showing how far off the bolt holes are. I bolted the passenger side and you can see from this picture of the drivers side, that the it's about 1.5 inches short. Maybe because this car is wider than previous models.
That is disappointing. I assume the hitch from U-Haul will not fit either.
Old 05-05-13, 12:59 PM
larryinWA
Pole Position

I'll check on tuesday. I stopped by there today and they eanted me to call for their trailer hitch tech on tuesday. I think our best bet is to continually pressure Curt Manufacturing, to provide one for the 2013.
Old 05-06-13, 06:41 AM
Bill_GS3
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll check on tuesday. I stopped by there today and they eanted me to call for their trailer hitch tech on tuesday. I think our best bet is to continually pressure Curt Manufacturing, to provide one for the 2013.
I'm sorry to hear it didnt work, I was really hoping they updated it finally. I check with Curt and they dont list it any more. Ive had my car since June 2012 and have called several times, I dont think theyll be coming oout with anything anytime soon. Also that hitch had room for the exhaust mounts to go back in, the new car has no room around the mounts. I think theyll need to be integrated into the hitch somehow = more money...
Old 05-06-13, 06:52 AM
FishBike
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.lexus.eu/car-models/gs/gs...x.tmex#/FSport

if this link works, it will take you to the EU bike rack. scroll down. threre's a button to see more accessories. if they work for european 350's then there must be some for american 350's.
Those racks look like an ideal solution. Wonder if there'd be any problems installing them on a North American GS, assuming it would be possible to import one?
Old 05-06-13, 10:28 AM
ECL
Instructor

Originally Posted by FishBike
Those racks look like an ideal solution. Wonder if there'd be any problems installing them on a North American GS, assuming it would be possible to import one?
Since the NA owners manual specifically recommends not using a hitch for a bike rack, I suspect their legal department would make it difficult to purchase the European hitch.

"Lexus does not recommend towing a trailer with your vehicle. Lexus also does not recommend the installation of a tow hitch or the use of a tow hitch carrier for a wheelchair, scooter, bicycle, etc. Your vehicle is not designed for trailer towing or for the use of tow hitch mounted carriers."
Old 05-06-13, 12:28 PM
larryinWA
Pole Position

We need to find out who manufactures the european hitch, and ask them to send us the dimensions, so we can be sure it's not the same as the Curt. Curt sent me a drawing with dkmensions, of the one they claim will fit. We need a similar drawing for the european model.

Quick Reply: Bike rack options discussion (merged megathread)