GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Creaking center console - fix attempt

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-23 | 03:47 PM
EAST
Advanced

Default Creaking center console - fix attempt

I hated the creaking center console plastic on plastic sound whenever you touched or leaned on the center console or wrist pad for the mouse pointer.

So with my trusty Tesa felt tape, I took apart the center console and taped up wherever plastic on plastic contact looked likely. Now the noise is like 90% gone, but will have to see how long it lasts.

It took about 1-2 hours of work. Here's some pictures (some will be from a prior time I took center console apart).

Lift up straight up on the leather cushion trim on either side. From there, twist off the shifter **** (counter clockwise, and pull down on the shifter boot). You should have the shifter metal rod exposed.

On the driver side, there's two 10mm bolts you'll need to undo (you'll see them once you lift up on the leather covered trim).

​​​​​​
You should be able to lift up on the center console. It's just pressure clips. Unplug the connectors. There's one white clip you'll have to "open" a little to release. You see it to the left of the shifter boot.

From here, the palm rest area seemed to cause the most creaks so I started with that. That unit is held in with with black clips. I found luck sticking a flat, plastic trim tool from the side, while using my fingers to push in the black clips. I marked some of them. Repeat for the other side.

From here, things are murky as I didn't take as many pictures, so it's from memory.

I took off the "mouse". I think it was 4 Philips screws. Undo the connector, and set mouse aside.

Now take out six Phillips silver screws. This is to further separate the wrist pad area. Marked the approximate location of the six screws in red. I marked in blue the ones I think we're for the mouse module removed in previous steps.

The black surround should pull off at this point. With the screws out, you can put it back together to see/hear where there might be creaking.

Back at the section with buttons, this module seemed to make noise. It's the module with the Map/menu/zoom buttons. Remove the three Phillips silver screws. Put felt tape in these three areas (close to where the screw holes are). Red is where screws are, blue is where to put tape.

I also put some tape here:

Once you have the tape on (one strip is fine), tighten back the three screws.

Then I went back to the black surround, and put felt tape around where there might be plastic on plastic contact. On the screw holes, I put a piece then made a hole so the screws would still go through.

You can put the pieces back together (without screws) so you can hear where there might still be plastic on plastic contact. Once you're happy, start to assemble back together. Screw the six silver screws back in.

I wrapped some tape around the black clips that hold the wrist rest/mouser pointer to the rest of the center console trim.

Install the mouse module back in with the four silver screws. Don't forget to connect the connector you disconnected earlier.

Snap the wrist rest/mouse back into the rest of the console.

​​​​​​I did notice that the trim around the shifter boot also made some noise. It's held by two black Philips screws and multiple clips. The main culprits seemed to be three plastic posts (shown in red). Wrap those. You can also cut a thin strip, and wrap the clips (shown in blue).

Snap back together the shifter into the main console and tighten the two black screws.

Connect all connections. Snap console back in and tighten the two 10mm bolts. Put your shifter back on. Put leather trim pieces back on.​​​​​​

​​​​​​
The following 2 users liked this post by EAST:
4GS350 (03-13-23), bloodbean (03-12-23)