GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Rear spring rotation/orientation.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-23, 07:07 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Rear spring rotation/orientation.

I just installed my RSR Down Springs, and, after spending 7 hours fighting rust in the rear (my whole body is one ache today), I realized that I did not pay attention at all to how I lined up the rear springs, just that they were in their upper and lower perches and right-side up. Based on the design of the perch and upper mount, I don't believe that the rotation of the spring should matter, but can anyone confirm?

Thanks.
Old 03-27-23, 05:26 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,323 Likes on 1,052 Posts

I looked at the perch when I did mine and it looked the same, so I don't think it matters, as long as the spring is positioned in there correctly. I know what you mean about the PITA that job is. My car was not rusted and I was sore as hell too.

So......Did you reindex your control arm bushings after the spring install?
Old 03-27-23, 06:20 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Originally Posted by jgscott
I looked at the perch when I did mine and it looked the same, so I don't think it matters, as long as the spring is positioned in there correctly. I know what you mean about the PITA that job is. My car was not rusted and I was sore as hell too.

So......Did you reindex your control arm bushings after the spring install?
To be honest, I only did the ones I had the strength to undo. I ended up not doing the main upper control arm, the body side of the forward upper control arm, or the body side of the rear toe link on either side. I was so bushed that I abandoned any thought of installing camber arms myself. If the alignment indicates they're necessary, I'll just pay to have it done.

I did not realize how much bind there was in the rear suspension. Fighting bushings to align bolt holes was my second least favorite part.
Old 03-28-23, 04:55 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

I see we shared the same pains. The Rear getting the bolt holes to line back up, Retired me from ever doing Suspension anything again. I will pay. I'm done.
The following users liked this post:
4GS350 (09-29-23)
Old 03-28-23, 07:21 PM
Mrke1
10th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

That bad huh? I was thinking about doing my rears. I've never done shocks before but a youtube video I watched made it look pretty okay. Just the backs obviously, not touching the fronts.
Old 09-28-23, 01:35 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by panyo64
To be honest, I only did the ones I had the strength to undo. I ended up not doing the main upper control arm, the body side of the forward upper control arm, or the body side of the rear toe link on either side. I was so bushed that I abandoned any thought of installing camber arms myself. If the alignment indicates they're necessary, I'll just pay to have it done.

I did not realize how much bind there was in the rear suspension. Fighting bushings to align bolt holes was my second least favorite part.
@panyo64 . My springs have been on now for about 8 months and 7k miles. Is it too late to Reindex the suspension part bushing after this long and already having a alignment? Any benefit to still doing it this long later?
Old 09-28-23, 02:19 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Originally Posted by jgscott
@panyo64 . My springs have been on now for about 8 months and 7k miles. Is it too late to Reindex the suspension part bushing after this long and already having a alignment? Any benefit to still doing it this long later?
It can't hurt. 7k miles of the bushings resting in slight torsional bind may softened them or reduced their longevity a bit, but I would still say go ahead and do it while you're in there. You may experience a increase in ride quality and the car may sit marginally lower after reindexing.
The following users liked this post:
jgscott (09-29-23)