The following users liked this post:
PGA71 (03-29-23)
Old 03-29-23, 06:31 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,495 Posts

Originally Posted by PGA71

Time to make the donuts

@PGA71 - I don't know what "Time to make the donuts" means. I'm tying to make some sense out of how that garage door opener is hung and how power is fed for it. It's not in danger of falling on your LS is it?
Old 03-29-23, 06:38 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
@PGA71 - I don't know what "Time to make the donuts" means. I'm tying to make some sense out of how that garage door opener is hung and how power is fed for it. It's not in danger of falling on your LS is it?
Looks like a few metal beams extending from the ceiling to the garage door opener motor. I'd be more concerned about anything left of the car falling on it.
Old 03-29-23, 07:18 PM
PGA71
Intermediate

Received 403 Likes on 230 Posts

My lame attempt at a joke, meaning off to work.
Steel brackets bolted into the ceiling studs with power receptacle in high ceiling.
No danger, but thanks for the concern fellas.
bclexus (03-29-23)
Old 03-29-23, 07:25 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by peasodos
Looks like a few metal beams extending from the ceiling to the garage door opener motor. I'd be more concerned about anything left of the car falling on it.
Yeah, I see that stuff against the wall too. I think there's a bunch of angle iron somehow strewn together that supports the garage door roller track rails.

I'm seeing what looks like a free swinging 'Y' chain configuration supporting the opener and a multi-outlet power strip dangling down for the opener to plug into, but maybe that's an illusion. I'm a bit worried that @PGA71 might not be able to take care of that LS500. We may have to relieve him of the car and take over...

You would think after buying his wife that nice LS500 he'd talk her into finishing the drywall and painting the garage, then tidy up his mess.

Last edited by bclexus; 03-30-23 at 05:25 AM. Reason: orthography
The following 3 users liked this post by bclexus:
Ironman50 (04-03-23), NJLEXES (04-03-23), PGA71 (03-29-23)
Old 03-29-23, 07:36 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,320 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Steel brackets bolted into the ceiling studs with power receptacle in high ceiling.
I knew what you meant when you said time to make the Donuts.

Tell them no matter how it looks it's been working for a while. Also that real men don't need permission from their Wife about their Man Cave Garage.

We should start a "show us your Garage" thread from them. I'm sure b/c's looks' like a 5 Star hotel. I would need to tidy up mine 1st.
PGA71 (03-29-23)
Old 03-30-23, 05:25 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

@PGA71 Just having a bit of ribbing fun!

Old 03-30-23, 05:58 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jgscott
"show us your Garage". I'm sure b/c's looks' like a 5 Star hotel. I would need to tidy up mine 1st.
Mine needs sweeping out a touch.
The following 2 users liked this post by bclexus:
Ironman50 (04-03-23), sajack (08-25-23)
Old 03-30-23, 06:28 AM
PGA71
Intermediate

@PGA71 Just having a bit of ribbing fun!
Of course!
Between you and JGScott, was cracking up for an hour after that.
I remembered a post one time you showed putting cardboard down in your trunk for your golf shoes. I thought that was funny since you could easily clean off excess debris using tapping together method which I'm sure you do and just place in a shoe bag till you got home for further clean up if necessary. That's what came to mind after JG's 5-star Ritz comment of your garage.

All good!

bclexus (03-30-23)
Old 03-30-23, 08:06 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

High ceilings can certainly present issues, whether they are inside in the living space or in a garage.

I have a high ceiling in the garages at a property in North Carolina. It has cold rolled steel angle iron attached to a horizonal steel I-beam to support the openers. It's a very sturdy setup but the solid steel tends to transmit some undesirable mechanical noise from the opener to the rooms located above the garages through the I-beam which is there for span load support.

Each opener has 14/3 SJO cord with a 15 amp male plug that is plugged into the ceiling mounted receptacle with the cable fed down to the opener by strapping it to the angle iron, with a female receptacle connector body on the end of the cable near the opener to plug the opener into. I also had the contractor add half a dozen 20 amp duplex receptacles where the workbench is located at the rear of one of the double garages.

Old 03-30-23, 08:44 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jgscott
We should start a "show us your Garage" thread. I'm sure b/c's looks' like a 5 Star hotel.
@jgscott - Here's a 5 Star rated garage where my GS 450h was kept in climate controlled comfort...

Last edited by bclexus; 03-30-23 at 09:06 AM. Reason: orthography
Old 03-30-23, 10:01 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Of course!
Between you and JGScott, was cracking up for an hour after that.
I remembered a post one time you showed putting cardboard down in your trunk for your golf shoes. I thought that was funny since you could easily clean off excess debris using tapping together method which I'm sure you do and just place in a shoe bag till you got home for further clean up if necessary. That's what came to mind after JG's 5-star Ritz comment of your garage.

All good!

Yeah, well - I drive myself a little crazy from time to time!

My thick cardboard trunk liner (on top of the trunk mat) is holding up pretty well.

Excuse me while I go check that all four tires have the exact same air pressure...

I'll be interested to learn if you have any difficulty adjusting to driving a larger car, especially in congested traffic conditions.

Also, I'll be interested to learn if you have a tendency to spend a little too much time looking at some of the car's new features which takes your attention away from your normal careful driving. I still catch myself at times paying a bit too much attention to my car's traction motor and ICE activity on the display, which is not a good thing, especially in heavy traffic.

I don't know about you but it seems that with every new vehicle I get, it psychologically increases the likelihood that other cars and trucks drive closer to me.

Last edited by bclexus; 03-30-23 at 12:06 PM. Reason: orthography
Ironman50 (04-24-23)
Old 03-30-23, 12:47 PM
marjenmill
Intermediate

Received 151 Likes on 65 Posts

Yeah, I see that stuff against the wall too. I think there's a bunch of angle iron somehow strewn together that supports the garage door roller track rails.

I'm seeing what looks like a free swinging 'Y' chain configuration supporting the opener and a multi-outlet power strip dangling down for the opener to plug into, but maybe that's an illusion. I'm a bit worried that @PGA71 might not be able to take care of that LS500. We may have to relieve him of the car and take over...

You would think after buying his wife that nice LS500 he'd talk her into finishing the drywall and painting the garage, then tidy up his mess.
They do make "wall mount" garage door openers that go right above the door and then you won't need the angle iron pieces (or the extension cord) hanging from the ceiling. Much less noise and sturdier than that setup. At least you have a nice deep garage, that helps with the LS since it is soooo long!
The following 3 users liked this post by marjenmill:
JDR76 (03-30-23), jgscott (03-30-23), PGA71 (03-30-23)
Old 03-30-23, 01:05 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I have a wall mount garage door opener. It's absolutely fantastic. I'd never go back!

The following 2 users liked this post by JDR76:
bclexus (03-30-23), PGA71 (03-30-23)
Old 03-30-23, 03:41 PM
PGA71
Intermediate

1) My thick cardboard trunk liner (on top of the trunk mat) is holding up pretty well.

2) I'll be interested to learn if you have any difficulty adjusting to driving a larger car, especially in congested traffic conditions.

3) Also, I'll be interested to learn if you have a tendency to spend a little too much time looking at some of the car's new features which takes your attention away from your normal careful driving. I still catch myself at times paying a bit too much attention to my car's traction motor and ICE activity on the display, which is not a good thing, especially in heavy traffic.

4) I don't know about you but it seems that with every new vehicle I get, it psychologically increases the likelihood that other cars and trucks drive closer to me.
1) I am really surprised you don't have a shoe box or a redundant cardboard piece to protect the cardboard.

2) For day 3 of ownership, have gotten acclimated pretty well thus far. The biggest difference thus far, is on the highway everyone is passing me because of number 3 below while the GS never got passed. Also as I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread, the turning radius in the GS is much tighter for those U-turn type manuvers.

3) For sure! I am peeking around constantly testing the Lane Keep Assist, Lane Tracing Assist, Dynamic radar cruise with full-speed range, Pre-collision system, Active steering assist, and how they interface with HUD, etc. One of the bad things about being an engineer, your curiosity makes you want to know how everything works and more importantly assess the capabilities and limits that exist for the various functions. Interesting enough these work rather well and make it much less dangerous and greatly reduce the probability of impact.

4) Have not noticed this. Probably because I have been the one getting closer testing features.
The following 2 users liked this post by PGA71:
bclexus (03-30-23), jgscott (03-30-23)

Quick Reply: Sold My GS Today and Stayed w/ Lex