GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

How to troubleshoot key-fob not unlocking driver door?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-23 | 09:09 PM
lexo98
Pole Position

I don’t have the time now but I’m sure someone sells just the motor inside the actuator for $5. You just need to crack it open yourself
The following users liked this post:
ljCharlie (04-04-23)
Old 04-04-23 | 06:11 AM
ljCharlie
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by lexo98
This was a big problem back in my 2nd Gen days and didn’t think it carried over to the newer Gen’s but this might be helpful https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...s-working.html
Thanks for the link to the other thread. I'll check it out. I may attempt to do it myself if it's not to big of a job prying out the motor. I will have to look for some YouTube videos to familiarize myself with removing the door panel and opening the actuator to get to the motor itself. If you know of any useful videos, please post it here, thank so much!
Old 04-04-23 | 10:41 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Originally Posted by ljCharlie
Thanks for the link to the other thread. I'll check it out. I may attempt to do it myself if it's not to big of a job prying out the motor. I will have to look for some YouTube videos to familiarize myself with removing the door panel and opening the actuator to get to the motor itself. If you know of any useful videos, please post it here, thank so much!
It's not too bad. A screw under the door handle plastic cover and one under the armrest where you pull the door closed. From there, it is all pop clips and undoing wires.
ljCharlie (04-04-23)
Old 04-04-23 | 11:45 AM
lexo98
Pole Position

Putting it back together is the tricky part if you have never put that panel back on. You need to detach the top trim piece from the door panel and install it on the door first from what I remember
Old 04-04-23 | 12:17 PM
ljCharlie
Pit Crew

Putting it back together is the tricky part if you have never put that panel back on. You need to detach the top trim piece from the door panel and install it on the door first from what I remember
Yes, that's another thing I have to make sure I've seen enough Youtube videos so that I confident enough to put it back together. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 04-04-23 | 01:52 PM
lexo98
Pole Position

I think this is what I followed to reinstall the door panel
Old 04-04-23 | 03:26 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

I've had them off several times, both sides, and never did that. It went back like every other door panel I've had off. You just have to make sure it is lined up and pop it down.
Old 04-04-23 | 06:03 PM
EAST
Advanced

I've never done it on this car, but would it be helpful for OP to buy some door panel clips? I know for other cars I always ended up breaking 1 or 2 pop clips, and it was nice knowing ahead of time so I'd already have them ordered.
Old 04-04-23 | 07:10 PM
Intermediate

Clips always break. Spares are a must.
Old 04-04-23 | 08:36 PM
lexo98
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Knucklebus
I've had them off several times, both sides, and never did that. It went back like every other door panel I've had off. You just have to make sure it is lined up and pop it down.
I know I'm not the only one that had issues so I don't feel too bad, but also I'm not sure how well my door itself is lined up. I can't figure out if my car has been repainted due to an accident or not. For sure there is something else in that door that's not right because I get a weird sound when I close the door with the window up.
Old 04-04-23 | 09:01 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

If you are thinking someonbe has been it the door before you could just have a loose connection to the Actuator.
Old 04-06-23 | 06:54 AM
ljCharlie
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by KidKlutch2
for the ebay solution you order the actuator
he sends you a fixed actuator and a bag to send your broken unit
once you send it back the broken actuator you get the life time warranty
I've decided to go the eBay route. It's life-time warranty as long as we owned the vehicle.

This Youtube video seems to be the closest to 2015 model that we owned. However, this video didn't show how to remove the actuator out of the door so I'll have to hunt for another video for that.

Many thanks for all the help!
Old 04-06-23 | 07:00 AM
ljCharlie
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by EAST
I've never done it on this car, but would it be helpful for OP to buy some door panel clips? I know for other cars I always ended up breaking 1 or 2 pop clips, and it was nice knowing ahead of time so I'd already have them ordered.
Yes, that is another question I was going to ask. What kind of clips I need to purchase in case I break them? I'm hoping I can easily get it from Amazon instead of from Lexus/Toyota site.
Old 04-06-23 | 07:02 AM
ljCharlie
Pit Crew

One other thing, do I need to disconnect the battery when removing the door panel and those electrical plugs?
Old 04-06-23 | 07:29 AM
lexo98
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ljCharlie
Yes, that is another question I was going to ask. What kind of clips I need to purchase in case I break them? I'm hoping I can easily get it from Amazon instead of from Lexus/Toyota site.
Rexka 20pcs Door Trim Panel...
Amazon Amazon
ljCharlie (04-06-23)

Quick Reply: How to troubleshoot key-fob not unlocking driver door?