GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Conflicting info on Spark Plug change interval? Do I need to change at 60k miles?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-23, 02:48 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

That pic above, which one is the new one? They all look identical to me, except the left one shows a bit more wear.

If they all look that good after 140K+ miles, I think my GS will fall apart first before the plugs need replacement.
The following users liked this post:
bclexus (05-05-23)
Old 05-06-23, 10:20 AM
hydrogenfu
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PGA71
Here are Iridium plugs out of my 2013 GS350 Lux at 146K miles that I changed in January 2023.
Don't look as good as those 300K mi plugs, but car was still running like day one before and after change.

Not advocating when anyone should change or not change, just posting for information.

3 Passenger side Plugs

3 Divers side Plugs

146K plug vs New Plug
Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
That pic above, which one is the new one? They all look identical to me, except the left one shows a bit more wear.

If they all look that good after 140K+ miles, I think my GS will fall apart first before the plugs need replacement.
@ItzFilyO , see the pics above in my post here, they're pics from @PGA71 , he specified below the last pic which one is new and which one is old (I think in his first couple of pics, they're all old? not sure)
Old 05-06-23, 11:12 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,101 Likes on 1,496 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrogenfu
@ItzFilyO , see the pics above in my post here, they're pics from @PGA71 , he specified below the last pic which one is new and which one is old (I think in his first couple of pics, they're all old? not sure)
The new spark plug (R8 suffix) is actually the wrong P/N so don't pay it any mind. All the used spark plugs are original equipment (R11 suffix). .
Old 05-06-23, 06:11 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Wow at 140K+ they barely look worn at all. At 60K they still probably smell like new!
Old 05-06-23, 06:24 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Wow at 140K+ they barely look worn at all. At 60K they still probably smell like new!
Yep, as I say they're good for ¼ million miles. Those used ones are good for another 140k+ miles.

Then, there's some that are just dying to waste their time and money to replace them at 60k miles!

Last edited by bclexus; 05-06-23 at 06:28 PM. Reason: orthography
Old 05-07-23, 06:26 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 399 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
@PGA71 - Apparently it doesn't make a lot of difference with the gap spacing as along as the ignition system has enough oomph to arc from the electrode to shell ground to ignite the compressed air/fuel mixture. However, if it was my GS 350 I would definitely want the correct model Denso spark plugs and right gap spacing that was originally installed at the factory.

There's somebody driving around in your 2013 GS 350 with incorrect spark plugs! What are the odds he'll tell us he needs new spark plugs and be totally confused to find it has BR8 spark plugs instead of the correct BR11 spark plugs?
TECHNICALLY, DC current flows from the ground to the positive. So, it arcs from the shell ground to the electrode. Electrons have a negative charge and they move to the positive side.

I'm just busting your chops as it makes no real difference as long as there is the spark but I've always had an issue with the way electrical things are done and why some Brit cars had positive ground that actually made more sense.
bclexus (05-07-23)
Old 05-07-23, 07:41 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Knucklebus
TECHNICALLY, DC current flows from the ground to the positive. So, it arcs from the shell ground to the electrode. Electrons have a negative charge and they move to the positive side.

I'm just busting your chops as it makes no real difference as long as there is the spark but I've always had an issue with the way electrical things are done and why some Brit cars had positive ground that actually made more sense.
@Knucklebus - Yes, you are correct about how electrons move to the positive side, but incorrect about how current flows. Here's what happens - Granted, It's rather tricky to understand. Current is the flow of electrons. Current and electrons actually flow in the opposite direction of each other. This means that DC current flows from positive to negative whereas electron flow is from negative to positive.

I know a little bit about DC voltage and current.

I love working with high voltage DC. I've designed and built many pieces of homebrew equipment using as much as 7,500 volts DC to power Triode power grid tubes for RF linear amplification for high-frequency transmission.

When the voltage gets to that level its borderline able to produce an effect similar to what is called aurora borealis, which is an eerie, ghostly optical light effect caused by the charged particles (electrons and protons). It's really wild seeing this in a miniature way in a darkened room inside your house. That voltage level can be very dangerous, deadly in fact. It has a tendency to arc jump with a microscopic piece of dust which makes a very loud and disturbing snap sound that is unmistakable! Large plate transformer power supplies have oil-filled capacitors that can retain storage voltage for many days or weeks and arc discharge unexpectedly much like an unexploded bomb being disturbed. Scary, but fun if you're careful and know what you're doing!

Here's one of my many homebrew designed and built pieces of amateur radio (HAM) equipment.

Homebrew Grounded-Grid, Cathode-Driven Power Triode RF Linear Amplifier for 160 - 10 Meter Bands (1.8MHz - 29MHz) High-Frequency Use

Last edited by bclexus; 05-08-23 at 07:03 PM. Reason: orthography
Knucklebus (05-07-23)
Old 05-08-23, 07:44 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

@Knucklebus - The simple image below might help explain how DC current and the electron actually flow. Granted, It's rather tricky to understand. No, it's actually very tricky to understand!

Anyway, current is the flow of electrons, and the current flow and electron flow moves in the opposite direction of each other. This means that a DC current will flow from positive to negative and the electron flow is from negative to positive. Confusing, right? You betcha!

It's certainly not as easy as understanding the method of applying a torque to tighten or loosen a mechanical bolt or nut; ‘Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosey'.

Anyway, enough of this - time to move on...

Last edited by bclexus; 05-09-23 at 11:59 AM. Reason: orthography
Old 01-09-24, 01:43 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 480 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by PGA71
Here are Iridium plugs out of my 2013 GS350 Lux at 146K miles that I changed in January 2023.
Don't look as good as those 300K mi plugs, but car was still running like day one before and after change.

Not advocating when anyone should change or not change, just posting for information.

3 Passenger side Plugs

3 Divers side Plugs

146K plug vs New Plug
Looks like you had/have a problem with oil polluting the threads. The seals on your valve cover assembly/spark plug tubes might be bad.
Nusbaum (01-10-24)
Old 01-09-24, 06:54 PM
4GS350
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrogenfu
Because of these two comments, I think I won't change my original sparkplugs until maybe 250,000KM now.. (I'm at 110,000KM right now)
I hope being in the super north, -20Celsius winters doesn't impact the spark plugs too much..
I ordered a set of NGK Premium RX plugs for my 117,000 KM RWD GS350 last week and told my mechanic to help change it yesterday....i got an earful from him alright hahaha. He's been handling Toyota for well over 25 years, owns a S180 and S200 Toyota crown with the same engine and told me don't bother changing until the engine misfires haha.
Old 01-09-24, 07:07 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 4GS350
I ordered a set of NGK Premium RX plugs for my 117,000 KM RWD GS350 last week and told my mechanic to help change it yesterday....i got an earful from him alright hahaha. He's been handling Toyota for well over 25 years, owns a S180 and S200 Toyota crown with the same engine and told me don't bother changing until the engine misfires haha.
Your mechanic is absolutely correct! Those OE spark plugs will still be good at 300,000km with no degradation in performance or fuel economy.
4GS350 (01-09-24)
Old 01-09-24, 07:10 PM
4GS350
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by bclexus
Your mechanic is absolutely correct! Those OE spark plugs will still be good at 300,000km with no degradation in performance or fuel economy.
I am certainly not doubting that. Previously i had 4AG running 180,000 KM and a K3-VE with 200,000 KM both never had their spark plugs changed and never missed a beat :P
Old 01-09-24, 07:19 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,323 Likes on 1,052 Posts

By the time you have a misfire and detect it, it was already going down hill for many miles before that. You would have been carboning up the engine and running inefficiently for many miles before that. You could also clog the Converters.

That mechanic basically told you to just keeping driving it till it breaks. It's your Lexus do as you please. lol! I just really hope no one thinks this is really the correct way to maintain it.
The following 2 users liked this post by jgscott:
93SCMax (01-10-24), JUTMSS32 (01-10-24)
Old 01-09-24, 07:29 PM
4GS350
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jgscott
By the time you have a misfire and detect it, it was already going down hill for many miles before that. You would have been carboning up the engine and running inefficiently for many miles before that. You could also clog the Converters.

That mechanic basically told you to just keeping driving it till it breaks. It's your Lexus do as you please. lol! I just really hope no one thinks this is really the correct way to maintain it.
I plan to chuck the converters into the sea next week when i install the headers. In my part of the woods, no one gives a damn about emissions or enviromental issues hahaha. Pretty sure i can detect a misfire based on my 40 years of driving and tinkering ......i hope.
bclexus (01-10-24)
Old 01-10-24, 05:27 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,323 Likes on 1,052 Posts

I plan to chuck the converters into the sea next week when i install the headers. In my part of the woods, no one gives a damn about emissions or enviromental issues hahaha. Pretty sure i can detect a misfire based on my 40 years of driving and tinkering ......i hope.
It's your GS, I just hoped no one else thought buying the plugs, not installing them, then saying a mechanic said wait till the engine starts running like crap and the cylinders start misfiring is weirdo advise.

Now you are going to put Headers on for performance I guess, but the plugs..... neverminded?

Ok it's your GS, and your 40 years of experience!!! lol!

Last edited by jgscott; 01-10-24 at 05:42 AM.

Quick Reply: Conflicting info on Spark Plug change interval? Do I need to change at 60k miles?