GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Conflicting info on Spark Plug change interval? Do I need to change at 60k miles?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-24, 05:36 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,178 Likes on 1,561 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
It's your GS, I just hoped no one else thought buying the plugs, not installing them, then saying a mechanic said wait till the engine starts running like crap and the cylinders start misfiring is weirdo advise.

Now you are going to put Headers on for performance I guess, but the plugs..... neverminded?

Ok it's your GS, and your 40 years of experience!!! lol!
@jgscott - Jamie, How often do you replace the light bulb in your refrigerator?
Old 01-10-24, 05:43 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,356 Likes on 1,076 Posts

I lack the ability to have multimeter reading eyes like some of you do, to read resistance without a multimeter. Sorry.

Old 01-10-24, 06:43 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I lack the ability to have multimeter reading eyes like some of you do, to read resistance without a multimeter. Sorry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWyle41XO_k
Jamie - The resistance in modern day resistance type spark plugs has a built-in resistor of ~ 5k to 7k Ω to attenuate the ignition noises generated during spark emission so it doesn't interfere with radio reception or communication equipment. The video you posted displays measuring this internal spark plug resistance, which presents absolutely no affect whatsoever on the spark plug's ignition performance ability. Zero... It's totally meaningless in terms of engine performance or fuel economy.

The video you posted also displays another meaningless detail - that full continuity (near 0 Ω) is needed between the spark plug's shell/threads and the side ground electrode. Nothing more, nothing less. Again - it has no value, it's pointless...actually senseless!

The tail of the tape is this: Measuring a spark plug's internal resistance is totally meaningless to attest its ignition performance ability. Measuring a spark plug's continuity between shell/threads and the side ground electrode is totally meaningless, the same as measuring the continuity of a wire conductor that is 3 inches in length - it will always measure 0 Ω.

Last edited by bclexus; 01-10-24 at 07:13 AM. Reason: orthography
Old 01-10-24, 07:22 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bclexus
Jamie - The resistance in modern day resistance type spark plugs has a built-in resistor of ~ 5k to 7k Ω to attenuate the ignition noises generated during spark emission so it doesn't interfere with radio reception or communication equipment. The video you posted displays measuring this internal spark plug resistance, which presents absolutely no affect whatsoever on the spark plug's ignition performance ability. Zero... It's totally meaningless in terms of engine performance or fuel economy.

The video you posted also displays another meaningless detail - that full continuity (near 0 Ω) is needed between the spark plug's shell/threads and the side ground electrode. Nothing more, nothing less. Again - it has no value, it's pointless...actually senseless!

The tail of the tape is this: Measuring a spark plug's internal resistance is totally meaningless to attest its ignition performance ability. Measuring a spark plug's continuity between shell/threads and the side ground electrode is totally meaningless, the same as measuring the continuity of a wire conductor that is 3 inches in length - it will always measure 0 Ω.

Oh no, no, and no. I am not going to start training class here. I have researched this quite a bit. Best you talk to NGK, or Denso or Champion Engineers. They have all redesigned and changed Core tech over years, for the very reasons that Core has a lot to do with plugs. I don't design them. Does anyone here? There is a reason why FAKE plugs fail when the authentic ones do not. They both have Cores.

Like I said it is the GS owners choice.
Old 01-10-24, 08:03 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Oh no, no, and no. I am not going to start training class here. I have researched this quite a bit. Best you talk to NGK, or Denso or Champion Engineers. They have all redesigned and changed Core tech over years, for the very reasons that Core has a lot to do with plugs. I don't design them. Does anyone here? There is a reason why FAKE plugs fail when the authentic ones do not. They both have Cores.

Like I said it is the GS owners choice.
Jamie - Please don't start training class, especially after you posted that meaningless video! Because you seem to be quite an expert at not knowing what you're talking about.
Old 01-10-24, 08:16 AM
JUTMSS32
Driver

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

By the time you have a misfire and detect it, it was already going down hill for many miles before that. You would have been carboning up the engine and running inefficiently for many miles before that. You could also clog the Converters.

That mechanic basically told you to just keeping driving it till it breaks. It's your Lexus do as you please. lol! I just really hope no one thinks this is really the correct way to maintain it.
Agree 100%. This is a no brainer for me.

While I do agree that 60k for a spark plug change is way less than what the spark plugs are good for. I think you can go 100-150k safely with a quality set and in most other circumstances, I would do just that. In this case, changing them at 60k keeps you in compliance with the Lexus Emission Control Warranty. If you're somewhat mechanically inclined and can change them yourself, why not? It only cost about $120 tops for 6 Denso spark plugs and about an hour of your time. Sure, there are usually 1 or 2 plugs that are hard to get to, but with some research on the forums, Google and Youtube, you can usually find easy ways to navigate this issue.

What I wouldn't do is risk going over 150k miles on a set. The failure of 1 bad plug in the set could result in having to replace catalytic converters, O2 sensors, coil packs and of course a new set of plugs in an attempt to rid the car of all the codes that may result. There's too much to risk for me and unfortunately I went through this with my last car, Camry XLE V6. I changed my first set of plugs at 100k with no issues. The second set, (OEM Denso) I had one fail and start misfiring at about 180k on the set, 280k on the car and went through all of the above to get rid of the codes. My mechanic only changed one plug and coil pack and my local exhaust experts replaced 2 converters and some O2 sensors. I eventually replaced all 6 plugs myself but traded the car in at about 307k to get the GS.
Old 01-10-24, 08:18 AM
Nusbaum
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Plug Maintenance

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
Looks like you had/have a problem with oil polluting the threads. The seals on your valve cover assembly/spark plug tubes might be bad.
Regardless of your decision on plug maintenance, checking the plug tubes for oil pooling is good practice. While changing plugs on my SC430 I found two tube seals leaked significant oil into the tubes. No visible valve cover leak. Not sure when the seal leak would have caused problems, but would not have discovered it without the 100k plug replacement. If you normally check tubes for leaks change plugs on whatever schedule you want, otherwise you might not catch this potential problem.
Old 01-10-24, 12:39 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bclexus
@Knucklebus - The simple image below might help explain how DC current and the electron actually flow. Granted, It's rather tricky to understand. No, it's actually very tricky to understand!

Anyway, current is the flow of electrons, and the current flow and electron flow moves in the opposite direction of each other. This means that a DC current will flow from positive to negative and the electron flow is from negative to positive. Confusing, right? You betcha!

It's certainly not as easy as understanding the method of applying a torque to tighten or loosen a mechanical bolt or nut; ‘Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosey'.

Anyway, enough of this - time to move on...

The Title of this Thread is - Conflicting info on Spark Plug change intervals? Do I need to change at 60k miles?

Lexus says YES.
Denso says YES

You can do whatever you want with "your" Lexus, owners.

This is the 2nd and Last post of fact info I'm going to post. Like I said before, I have already spoken to both Denso, and NGK, in the past due to running n/a stock engines and FI like Nitrous. For my own personal choice. There is Zero conflict from Lexus, Denso, or NGK. Maybe posters, but not their experience in Development Engineering and Design Lab.

Sent to me by DENSO - Denso Spark Plug Training Manual. vs CL Members post Narratives.

https://www.denso.com/global/en/prod...f/t-manual.pdf

Last edited by jgscott; 01-10-24 at 02:06 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jgscott:
JeffKeryk (01-11-24), Nunz (01-10-24)