GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

IDLE MAF G/S Readings

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-23, 06:00 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 773 Likes on 675 Posts
Default IDLE MAF G/S Readings

I picked up a 2013 GS350 Fsport over the weekend. It's pretty well maintained for a 10 year old car. Fuel trims are near perfect at idle and cruising. Though what seems odd to me the MAF readings at idle is 2.7 g/s. Shouldn't it be near engine displacement? I'm not familiar with the 350 engine since it's DI, an PI. It's very efficient compared to my IS250. This thing reaches operating temp quickly. The 2nd gen ISx50 seems to take forever for the coolant dummy needle to reach the halfway point.

I cleaned the throttle body, MAF, and inspected vacuum hoses.

Thanks

Last edited by MikeFig82; 04-26-23 at 06:07 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jgscott (04-26-23)
Old 04-26-23, 08:17 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,354 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Congrats on your new GS350 and welcome! I would check my MAF reading but I don't think it would help because if you remember from the IS Performance section I have Ported Manifolds, Intake and Enlarged TB and Tune. I have seen many 3.5 Toyota post over the years, including the Toyota forums state the 3.5 had a 2.7 AF reading also. Did you clean the MAF?

Good that you are here, so maybe you can help some in the 4th Gen GS forum that think nothing works to get more hp and Tq out of the 3.5 motor.
MikeFig82 (04-26-23)
Old 04-26-23, 08:31 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jgscott
Congrats on your new GS350 and welcome! I would check my MAF reading but I don't think it would help because if you remember from the IS Performance section I have Ported Manifolds, Intake and Enlarged TB and Tune. I have seen many 3.5 Toyota post over the years, including the Toyota forums state the 3.5 had a 2.7 AF reading also. Did you clean the MAF?

Good that you are here, so maybe you can help some in the 4th Gen GS forum that think nothing works to get more hp and Tq out of the 3.5 motor.

Thank you very much for the welcome. Yes I cleaned the MAF it was very dirty. I didn't check readings prior to cleaning as I felt the car having a slight vibration. Now seeing what you're stating my 250 has slight vibration at idle as well.

I've ordered MAF, Coolant, Thermostat, Serpentine, PCV valve. Which I cleaned immediately on the car for now.

I'll keep these as backups for now. Plugs seemed to have been changed recently according to Lexus service history. I do have a full spare of Denso ignition coils from my IS250.

At the moment only concerns are alternator, and battery. Since at the 10 year mark it's common on these engines to fail. Battery I can't see the date so I'll probably replace ASAP.

Other than that it feels good to be back in a higher HP car than my IS250 . I really did miss my old GS400.

Old 04-26-23, 11:19 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

If was me, a Upper Intake spray in cleaning would be on my list, in spite of the supposed self cleaning. I saw 2 GS350 with 100K plus and the Valves in the Intake were Carboned up more than I would have liked. Also according to all the Lexus ECU Tuners, running a few bottles of Octance Booster will help get the Timming back up advanced too. (KCLV), it works.
Old 04-26-23, 12:07 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

If was me, a Upper Intake spray in cleaning would be on my list, in spite of the supposed self cleaning. I saw 2 GS350 with 100K plus and the Valves in the Intake were Carboned up more than I would have liked. Also according to all the Lexus ECU Tuners, running a few bottles of Octance Booster will help get the Timming back up advanced too. (KCLV), it works.
Yes, I was planning to run a catch can aswell. Even though it's port injection. Seeing how much my IS250 is ingesting around 20ml every 2 months is what I collect. I wouldn't doubt the XX350 is doing the same. I guess it's not mentioned, because the upper intake doesn't have to be removed for plug change on the 350's. Is there any evidence it's pooling on the lower where the gaskets seat from upper?

I read through Rafi's thread on KCLV challenged car's a long time ago.

Last edited by MikeFig82; 04-26-23 at 12:11 PM.
Old 04-26-23, 02:39 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

I've been in 3 GS350 Uppers. There was not puddling. There was a fair amount of carbon build up in the intake Valve ports and back of Valves. More than I would want in there. I again I would do a nice Upper spray cleaning followed by some good cleaner in the Tank and a few fill up's of Shell Nitro prem. Then run the Octane booster. When your KCLV value goes up, you will smile at your GS350 performance.

Also interesting you mentioned the catch can. Most engines its a good thing. On my GS350 I ran a few different Intakes, The AEM with Stock air box and drop in K&N, The Full AEM Cone and the, Injen Cone. Each diverted the PCV to a small filter, mine lays on top of the engine. After about a year, I often check that Filter. There is barely a Nickel size dry oil stain. Meaning there was almost nothing of blow back going back in there, in my case anyway.

The IS250 engine is a mess IMO. The 3.5 2GR is much better. BTW: I have not seen any failures of the Alternator on the 13 that I recall. The 13 motor is really solid.. I would change the oil every 7k or less, and do a drain and fill on the Trans. I use the Valvoline Full sys Trans fluid. You likely already thought about this. Again good you have you here with a 4th Gen GS350, as in the IS Forum you have been very knowable and a great source of additional info and resources to those there!!

How many miles on the 13 F Sport? And....how about a nice pic!!!
MikeFig82 (04-26-23)
Old 04-26-23, 03:33 PM
Intermediate

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

Congrats, bro. I'll pull some MAF readings on my next trip .
MikeFig82 (04-26-23)
Old 04-26-23, 04:19 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

I've been in 3 GS350 Uppers. There was not puddling. There was a fair amount of carbon build up in the intake Valve ports and back of Valves. More than I would want in there. I again I would do a nice Upper spray cleaning followed by some good cleaner in the Tank and a few fill up's of Shell Nitro prem. Then run the Octane booster. When your KCLV value goes up, you will smile at your GS350 performance.

Also interesting you mentioned the catch can. Most engines its a good thing. On my GS350 I ran a few different Intakes, The AEM with Stock air box and drop in K&N, The Full AEM Cone and the, Injen Cone. Each diverted the PCV to a small filter, mine lays on top of the engine. After about a year, I often check that Filter. There is barely a Nickel size dry oil stain. Meaning there was almost nothing of blow back going back in there, in my case anyway.

The IS250 engine is a mess IMO. The 3.5 2GR is much better. BTW: I have not seen any failures of the Alternator on the 13 that I recall. The 13 motor is really solid.. I would change the oil every 7k or less, and do a drain and fill on the Trans. I use the Valvoline Full sys Trans fluid. You likely already thought about this. Again good you have you here with a 4th Gen GS350, as in the IS Forum you have been very knowable and a great source of additional info and resources to those there!!

How many miles on the 13 F Sport? And....how about a nice pic!!!

Well I'm not one draw attention to the car I'm piloting. Unless it had a Aimgain kit, and Bagged sitting on some forged wheels then maybe . Yeah it's your typical bone stock setup. Milage is 110k at the moment.

Forgive my laziness to walk, and I wanted to try the zoom features on my s22 ultra phone. Since I've never had any use for it. Not bad at 10x zoom from a distance.

Here it is next to one of my co-worker's M2.

Thats good to hear on the blowby, yeah it's strange it would still have carbon build up. I'll have to open up the throttle up more frequently. As for the Trans I have some leftover Amsoil I'm itching to put in. Though I'll probably do it until 120K for the time being transmission feels flawless. Another is I just drain and fill with out using the correct temp methods. Meaning I measure what has accumulated in drain pan. Then refilling measuring with a beaker. I've done this many times on my 250 AWD. I recently dropped the pan to replace the filter. Not much sediment to clean up besides the Trans mags. I would say with a total of 7x this method car is still running strong at 120k miles coming being purchased at 38k miles.

Old 04-26-23, 04:20 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 909
Congrats, bro. I'll pull some MAF readings on my next trip .
Thank you.
Old 04-30-23, 08:08 PM
EAST
Intermediate

Received 176 Likes on 133 Posts

Slightly different engine, but should be similar. 3.04 g/s for me at idle (with a warm engine).
MikeFig82 (05-01-23)
Old 05-01-23, 07:13 PM
Intermediate

Thanks East. 3.0 and 2.7 doesn't seem too far off.

@MikeFig82 I'm on vacation right now at the cottage and keep forgetting. I'll remember and post my readings
MikeFig82 (05-01-23)
Old 05-01-23, 08:21 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 909
Thanks East. 3.0 and 2.7 doesn't seem too far off.

@MikeFig82 I'm on vacation right now at the cottage and keep forgetting. I'll remember and post my readings
No problem man enjoy your vacation. Thanks as well East.
I just set up my OBD Fusion on this car now. It seems to be running well only after ECU reset, and no hard pulls KCLV is at 22.

Last edited by MikeFig82; 05-01-23 at 08:31 PM.
Old 05-02-23, 12:01 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
No problem man enjoy your vacation.
Thanks man. Weather is crap. Went boating. Almost froze to death. Still better than working.

I'm right in the middle of both of you @ 2.8
MikeFig82 (05-02-23)
Old 05-02-23, 01:58 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
No problem man enjoy your vacation. Thanks as well East.
I just set up my OBD Fusion on this car now. It seems to be running well only after ECU reset, and no hard pulls KCLV is at 22.

That 22 KCLV is not bad at all. That motor must be performing pretty good. It starts at 15. Was that after you serviced it? I'm at like 23-24. Last showed 23.7.

Not to derail the thread but anyone else take a look at what there Timing reading advance number is showing KCLV?
Old 05-02-23, 03:06 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

That 22 KCLV is not bad at all. That motor must be performing pretty good. It starts at 15. Was that after you serviced it? I'm at like 23-24. Last showed 23.7.

Not to derail the thread but anyone else take a look at what there Timing reading advance number is showing KCLV?
I reset the ecu prior to leaving work. These readings are after just a 11 mile trip home. I haven't been able to do any hard pulls yet. I was hopping to achieve around 25 kclv, but it seems that's pretty standard 22-25. I've seen RedSpencers's up near 26 or so.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ispreloading=1

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ue-kclv-2.html

Quick Reply: IDLE MAF G/S Readings