GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Under-Torqued Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-23, 06:02 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 542 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
@JeffKeryk - Denso states: Caution Do not apply screw thread lubricant to the spark plug...

Not sure how this applies to my post. I did not advocate incorrectly torquing spark plugs. Quite the opposite. Denso and I are in accord.
Old 04-30-23, 06:43 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,587 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Not sure how this applies to my post. I did not advocate incorrectly torquing spark plugs. Quite the opposite. Denso and I are in accord.
Here ► You said; I use just a tiny wisp of antisieze on the threads...

Denso states: Caution Do not apply screw thread lubricant to the spark plug...

Old 04-30-23, 08:01 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Here ► You said; I use just a tiny wisp of antisieze on the threads...

Denso states: Caution Do not apply screw thread lubricant to the spark plug...

Perhaps you might read the entire line...
Old 05-01-23, 07:21 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Perhaps you might read the entire line...
Applying torque to (at) the lower range is actually irrelevant to the cautionary advice Denso states; not to apply screw thread lubricant to the spark plug...
Old 05-01-23, 07:47 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Applying torque to (at) the lower range is actually irrelevant to the cautionary advice Denso states; not to apply screw thread lubricant to the spark plug...
Read the Denso line. It is referring to over torquing the plug. It also states some plugs have lubricant.
Old 05-01-23, 08:05 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Read the Denso line. It is referring to over torquing the plug. It also states some plugs have lubricant.
Sorry that you aren't able to digest what Denso states for all their spark plugs with the exception of plugs for some LPG engines - Caution Do not apply screw thread lubricant to the spark plug...

ONLY some LPG engines might benefit by thread lubricate, therefore Denso has already applied lubricate to some plugs for LPG engines.

It really should be quite simple to understand...
Old 05-01-23, 10:34 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Sorry that you aren't able to digest what Denso states for all their spark plugs with the exception of plugs for some LPG engines - Caution Do not apply screw thread lubricant to the spark plug...

ONLY some LPG engines might benefit by thread lubricate, therefore Denso has already applied lubricate to some plugs for LPG engines.

It really should be quite simple to understand...
I agree it should be easy to understand. Perhaps you shoud read the entire Denso line instead of truncating it. Proper torque is the goal.
The following users liked this post:
JGB93 (06-24-24)
Old 05-01-23, 11:05 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I agree it should be easy to understand. Perhaps you shoud read the entire Denso line instead of truncating it. Proper torque is the goal.
Proper toque may be the ultimate goal but once again you have totally failed to accept the essential or the most important part of the recommendation statement, which once again was:
Caution Do not apply screw thread lubricant to the spark plug...

Can't you grasp the elementary understanding of what Denso is stating; that if A is done that B may happen? Therefore A trumps B.

Let me try to make it very simple to understand. If screw thread lubricant is applied to the spark plug it may make you over tighten the spark plug. So, the most important part of this messaging comes first (A) so that B is avoided. A= DO NOT APPLY SCREW THREAD LUBRICANT.

Even if Denso had reversed the sentence structure and instead stated the message as follows; To avoid over tightening the spark plug do not apply screw thread lubricant to the spark plug - it is the 'do not apply screw thread lubricant to the spark plug' that is the most important part of the message statement.

You certainly do not have to follow Denso's cautionary recommendation - not to apply screw thread lubricant to the spark plug, but that is indeed Denso's recommendation to help guard against the possibility that applying thread lubricant may make you over tighten the spark plug.

Likewise, you certainly do not have to take my understanding of Denso's recommendation statement either. You're welcome to think whatever makes you happy.

Last edited by bclexus; 05-01-23 at 11:25 AM. Reason: orthography
Old 05-01-23, 11:10 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,378 Likes on 1,092 Posts

Guys, kill it. It's all good. No need to go further on it. We all understand both your points. I'm Not a Mod, but been there done that. Relax!
The following 2 users liked this post by jgscott:
bclexus (05-01-23), MikeFig82 (05-01-23)
Old 05-01-23, 12:33 PM
gs350noob
Intermediate

Received 141 Likes on 80 Posts

BC loves a fight that's for sure. Hopefully it's all in fun - good to have a strong opinion.

I'm thinking of doing mine but never done plugs before. Seems like a lot of people are concerned about cross threading their plugs. I can see how that might happen because your feel is different using an extension.

Anyone tried the rubber tubing method I've heard of to prevent cross threading? Apparently you slip a piece of semi flexible tubing over the plug to give you more finesse when you're starting to screw in the new plug.
jgscott (05-01-23)
Old 05-01-23, 02:03 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,378 Likes on 1,092 Posts

Originally Posted by gs350noob
BC loves a fight that's for sure. Hopefully it's all in fun - good to have a strong opinion.

I'm thinking of doing mine but never done plugs before. Seems like a lot of people are concerned about cross threading their plugs. I can see how that might happen because your feel is different using an extension.

Anyone tried the rubber tubing method I've heard of to prevent cross threading? Apparently you slip a piece of semi flexible tubing over the plug to give you more finesse when you're starting to screw in the new plug.
b/c can be a lot of help but a few of us can still catch him when he's Wrong.

I have a consistent low Tq method for starting threading on things like this for feel. I use my thumb and picky finger only to turn start on the extension until I'm sure it's threaded correctly, then tigthen, after truning in and backing out cleanly.
The following 3 users liked this post by jgscott:
93SCMax (05-02-23), gs350noob (05-01-23), MikeFig82 (05-01-23)
Old 05-01-23, 03:29 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Originally Posted by jgscott
b/c can be a lot of help but a few of us can still catch him when he's Wrong.

I have a consistent low Tq method for starting threading on things like this for feel. I use my thumb and picky finger only to turn start on the extension until I'm sure it's threaded correctly, then tigthen, after truning in and backing out cleanly.
Nuthin' like a nice Snap On flex head torque wrench to install plugs! Plugs usually stay in for a long time. They can get really tight over time. There are 2 problems with using antiseize, or any lube on plugs. One, you only want a tiny wisp on the middle part of the threads. I do a tiny swipe on one side... Do not get any on the electrode or strap! Two, do not over tighten. The torque is generally around 15 to 18 lb ft on Toyota engines. That's not much for any std size ratchet! I bet most plugs are over torqued because it is so easy to do, even with a torque wrench if you go past the click. If I don't use the Snappy, I choke up on the ratchet. Anytime you reuse a plug, make sure the threads are clean otherwise whatever method you use is suspect. If I can't easily spin in the plug with my fingers, I find out why. Generally it has to do with the male or female threads.

I just did a set of plugs on a 2015 Odyssey. No torque wrench for the rear bank! I have a shorty Snap On 3/8 flex head ratchet. It is a 1/4" ratchet converted to a 3/8".

Last edited by JeffKeryk; 05-01-23 at 03:38 PM.
MikeFig82 (05-01-23)
Old 05-01-23, 04:02 PM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

LPG=liquid propane gas right?

So that caveat doesn't apply to the 4GS. So no lubricant for this car's spark plugs.
Old 05-01-23, 06:04 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jkeller
LPG=liquid propane gas right?

So that caveat doesn't apply to the 4GS. So no lubricant for this car's spark plugs.
Correct, only spark plugs for Liquid Propane Gas (LPG) engines receive screw thread lubricant which is pre-applied by Denso. No other Denso spark plugs are to have screw thread lubricant applied.

Correct, Do not apply screw thread lubricant to spark plugs for the Lexus GS 350.
jkeller (05-01-23)
Old 05-01-23, 10:08 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

To tighten turn with ratchet till it stops/resistance, then add a quarter turn, this will crush the washer, and make the seal. This is what I have always done for spark plugs for any car. You don't need a torque wrench, that's overkill.
The following 2 users liked this post by peasodos:
jkeller (05-02-23), MikeFig82 (05-01-23)

Quick Reply: Under-Torqued Spark Plugs