GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

problem with GPS being far from location

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-23, 12:00 PM
bayareaemt
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I called Lexus of Las Vegas and asked for what they did to vehicle and they sent me following:

5/3/2023 (35912 miles)
REPAIR NUMBER: 0567435
REPORTED BY: Lexus of Las Vegas

SERVICE: GUESTS STATES
DESCRIPTION: ~|~GUESTS STATES RADIO SOUND IS NOT OPERATIONAL. CHECK AND ADVISE. ~|~RADIO NON OP ~|~FOUND AMP SHORTED BY WATER IN TRUNK. FOUND LEAK IN TRUNK THROUGH DRIVER AND PASSENGER SIDE BUMPER CLIPS (YOU CAN SEE WHERE THE WATER HAS BEEN RUNNING DOWN) AND THROUGH THE TRUNK SEAL. RECOMMEND AMP, TRUNK SEAL. CUSTOMER DECLINED repairs

SERVICE: CHECK DRIVERS FLOOR MAT FOR PROPER INSTALLATION
DESCRIPTION: ~|~CHECK DRIVERS FLOOR MAT FOR PROPER INSTALLATION ~|~FLOOR MAT ~|~FLOOR MAT PROPERLY INSTALLED

SERVICE:
DESCRIPTION: SETTIRE PRESSURE TO MANUFACTURE SPECS-ACTUAL TIRE PRESSURES MAY VARY SLIGHTLY DUE TO CHANGES IN A ~|~SET TIRE PRESSURE TO MANUFACTURE SPECS-ACTUAL TIRE PRESSURES MAY VARY SLIGHTLY DUE TO CHANGES IN AMBIENT AIR AND TIRE TEMPERATURES. ~|~TIRE PRESSURE ~|~R/F 33 R/R 33 L/F 33 L/R 33 SPARE 60
Old 05-24-23, 12:07 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,101 Likes on 1,496 Posts

Others that a very familiar with the NAV and the head unit that might can help you are:

jdpdata
eddie420
Old 05-24-23, 12:11 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bayareaemt
I called Lexus of Las Vegas and asked for what they did to vehicle and they sent me following:

5/3/2023 (35912 miles)
REPAIR NUMBER: 0567435
REPORTED BY: Lexus of Las Vegas

SERVICE: GUESTS STATES
DESCRIPTION: ~|~GUESTS STATES RADIO SOUND IS NOT OPERATIONAL. CHECK AND ADVISE. ~|~RADIO NON OP ~|~FOUND AMP SHORTED BY WATER IN TRUNK. FOUND LEAK IN TRUNK THROUGH DRIVER AND PASSENGER SIDE BUMPER CLIPS (YOU CAN SEE WHERE THE WATER HAS BEEN RUNNING DOWN) AND THROUGH THE TRUNK SEAL. RECOMMEND AMP, TRUNK SEAL. CUSTOMER DECLINED repairs

SERVICE: CHECK DRIVERS FLOOR MAT FOR PROPER INSTALLATION
DESCRIPTION: ~|~CHECK DRIVERS FLOOR MAT FOR PROPER INSTALLATION ~|~FLOOR MAT ~|~FLOOR MAT PROPERLY INSTALLED

SERVICE:
DESCRIPTION: SETTIRE PRESSURE TO MANUFACTURE SPECS-ACTUAL TIRE PRESSURES MAY VARY SLIGHTLY DUE TO CHANGES IN A ~|~SET TIRE PRESSURE TO MANUFACTURE SPECS-ACTUAL TIRE PRESSURES MAY VARY SLIGHTLY DUE TO CHANGES IN AMBIENT AIR AND TIRE TEMPERATURES. ~|~TIRE PRESSURE ~|~R/F 33 R/R 33 L/F 33 L/R 33 SPARE 60
Who is the customer that declined repairs be made by the Lexus dealership's service center? I presume it was the place or person you purchased the car from, right?
Old 05-24-23, 01:19 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

@bayareaemt - I wonder if the Lexus tech may have disconnected a plug connection for the GPS antenna when he was investigating the amplifier problem. Or, maybe whoever tinted the windows disconnected a plug connection for the GPS antenna and failed to re-connect it.

Watch this video. I have it starting near the time the author is pointing out a plug in the pillar area near the rear windshield. It would seem reasonably possible someone on the tint team may have not plugged this blue plug back into the connector.

Last edited by bclexus; 05-24-23 at 01:21 PM. Reason: orthography
Old 05-24-23, 01:33 PM
bayareaemt
Driver

Originally Posted by bclexus
@bayareaemt - I wonder if the Lexus tech may have disconnected a plug connection for the GPS antenna when he was investigating the amplifier problem. Or, maybe whoever tinted the windows disconnected a plug connection for the GPS antenna and failed to re-connect it.

Watch this video. I have it starting near the time the author is pointing out a plug in the pillar area near the rear windshield. It would seem reasonably possible someone on the tint team may have not plugged this blue plug back into the connector.

https://youtu.be/fI12YXcfyXk?t=168
@bclexus thanks a lot for all the help you are extending. Looks like we are up for a weekend project. I wait if someone shares some details about back of radio area.

BTW, car doesn't have tint job done so either Lexus dealer in Vegas or the tech (outside dealership) who worked on fixing audio might have removed the headunit.
Old 05-24-23, 03:30 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

@bclexus thanks a lot for all the help you are extending. Looks like we are up for a weekend project. I wait if someone shares some details about back of radio area.

BTW, car doesn't have tint job done so either Lexus dealer in Vegas or the tech (outside dealership) who worked on fixing audio might have removed the headunit.
@bayareaemt -This may help you. These images (below) are of a Mark Levison head unit for a 2015 Lexus GS 350, date stamped November, 2014.

If I had to guess, looking at the back of the head unit, the top navy blue Fakra coaxial connector or the bottom far-right single Fakra coaxial connector is likely the GPS antenna feed, however I do not know it is.

Last edited by bclexus; 05-25-23 at 05:22 AM. Reason: orthography
Old 05-25-23, 08:46 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,323 Likes on 1,052 Posts

More pics I took in my 13 to 16 plus Screen upgrade.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...lp-please.html
The following users liked this post:
bclexus (05-25-23)
Old 05-26-23, 01:03 PM
bayareaemt
Driver

Originally Posted by bclexus
@bayareaemt -This may help you. These images (below) are of a Mark Levison head unit for a 2015 Lexus GS 350, date stamped November, 2014.

If I had to guess, looking at the back of the head unit, the top navy blue Fakra coaxial connector or the bottom far-right single Fakra coaxial connector is likely the GPS antenna feed, however I do not know it is.

Yesterday, buddy of mine pulled radio and screen out and found all connectors are connected well and none seemed to be wiggling or broker of. He had only two hours to help and next week we will tackle tracking down that GPS connector/wire from behind dash all the way to shark-fin antenna in roof top. Found some videos about roof-antenna removal and rear right piller removal.

It will be great if someone can shed some light on the cable is routed from rear-right piller all the way to under the dash and what kind of things we will end of opening. Hopefully it is just a broken wire or a loose connector somewhere.
Old 05-26-23, 05:55 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Yesterday, buddy of mine pulled radio and screen out and found all connectors are connected well and none seemed to be wiggling or broker of. He had only two hours to help and next week we will tackle tracking down that GPS connector/wire from behind dash all the way to shark-fin antenna in roof top. Found some videos about roof-antenna removal and rear right piller removal.

It will be great if someone can shed some light on the cable is routed from rear-right piller all the way to under the dash and what kind of things we will end of opening. Hopefully it is just a broken wire or a loose connector somewhere.
Yeah, the video I posted for you made me wonder if maybe the GPS antenna connector that runs down that pillar may be the culprit. Whatever the problem turns out to be, I think the problem was almost certainly caused by someone's activity post-manufacturing because all the car's options, features and systems are automatically checked by diagnostic equipment at various checkpoints in the manufacturing process and must pass the check.

Last edited by bclexus; 05-26-23 at 06:38 PM. Reason: orthography
Old 06-01-23, 12:36 PM
bayareaemt
Driver

Buddy of mine and I opened the right side pillar near rear passenger seat and all connectors are connected properly, then we pulled roof liner down enough to check behind near shark fin antenna and that also look correct.

We ran out of ideas so finally decided to book the appointment with a shop locally that deals with aftermarket radios, GPS and headunits etc. Hopefully they will figure out and fix the issue or atleast tell us what parts need replacing. Since I am busy with work and don't have extra car, I booked appointment for 6/17/23.
Old 06-19-23, 09:45 AM
bayareaemt
Driver

Thanks a lot for all the member who offered some help in fixing the issue. As I had mentioned I took the car to a shop nearby and had appointment on 6/17/23.

They called me back informing that someone must have worked on GPS antenna and instead of putting original bolt, used a longer bolt to tighten from inside which put a hole on the main board of that antenna unit. They are going to call around few places to find used working part or else they said we have to get the whole assembly from dealer that comes with wiring harness as well.

Im2bz2p345 (06-19-23)
Old 06-19-23, 10:01 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks a lot for all the member who offered some help in fixing the issue. As I had mentioned I took the car to a shop nearby and had appointment on 6/17/23.

They called me back informing that someone must have worked on GPS antenna and instead of putting original bolt, used a longer bolt to tighten from inside which put a hole on the main board of that antenna unit. They are going to call around few places to find used working part or else they said we have to get the whole assembly from dealer that comes with wiring harness as well.

I would love to know why the GPS antenna was even worked on by anyone in the first place. And how it came about the original bolt was not reused to attach the PCB to the antenna unit. It's amazing the shoddy work some people do. You never know what to expect when buying a used car, especially when mods have likely been done.

Hopefully the shop can locate one from a junk yard and get it working correctly for you.
The following 2 users liked this post by bclexus:
Im2bz2p345 (06-19-23), jgscott (06-19-23)
Old 06-21-23, 11:01 AM
bayareaemt
Driver

@bclexus I tried following up with dealer and they said they have no idea on why someone tried opening GPS antenna. Most likely they got the car with a problem and no one verified that GPS signal was working. Maps worked for 10 odd miles after each reset.

At the end of the day, I had to pay nearly 500 bucks for diagnosis and replacement parts and have old part as souvenir.
bclexus (06-21-23)
Old 06-21-23, 11:12 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

@bclexus I tried following up with dealer and they said they have no idea on why someone tried opening GPS antenna. Most likely they got the car with a problem and no one verified that GPS signal was working. Maps worked for 10 odd miles after each reset.

At the end of the day, I had to pay nearly 500 bucks for diagnosis and replacement parts and have old part as souvenir.
@bayareaemt - Thanks for the update. So, it is now working as designed...

Don't get lost!
Old 06-21-23, 11:22 AM
bayareaemt
Driver

@bclexus yes my son drove about 200+ miles and GPS appears to be working correctly so problem is resolved.

Tried to convince salesman at dealer as they gave me something with a problem, he said he will check with manager and later came back to tell me that Manager doesn't agree to pay for the costs. Manager said if we had brought the car back (after knowing what exactly was wrong through aftermarket company) he would have gotten it fixed (Just pure BS). I said why would I drive my car from SF area to Las Vegas.

Now onto another issue with front bumper sensor issue after my son hit some animal. Bumper looks intact but sensors throwing issue when we come to stop. Just created another thread for that issue
bclexus (06-21-23)