problem with GPS being far from location

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-23, 01:01 PM
bayareaemt
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default problem with GPS being far from location

Hi Folks,

My first thread asking for help after receiving the car recently from Nevada. It is 2015 GS350 AWD with no mark levinson but it has navigation, BSM, Parking Assist, Premium pkg etc.

The GPS shows completely off the location. When I received the car, it was showing like 20 miles off from my actual location. I did some search and found calibration option. Even after calibrating few times, within 10-12 miles of driving it starts going off of the actual location slowly and builds up. I see "3 cars with GPS" symbol on left side of screen which means it is receiving antenna signal.

Let me know if there is anything other than that calibration option I need to do. (So far I have calibrated few times and start driving where I need to go). Looks like Nav has last update from 2017.

Another question is, is there a way to retrieve radio code or if there is one? I got car of non-lexus dealer and didn't come with any radio code (missing owner's manuals too). I read somewhere to reset the navigation by disconnecting battery etc. but don't want to risk loosing radio without way to pull the code.
Old 05-22-23, 04:42 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,495 Posts

@bayareaemt - Since the car has been used in a different location (state) by another owner before you acquired the first thing you should do is delete all the previous owner's personal NAV data (e.g. Home location, POIs, etc.) and Contact List, Phone numbers, etc.
  1. Press the MENU button on the Remote Touch then select SETUP.
  2. General.
  3. Delete Personal Data.
  4. Delete.
  5. To confirm, select. Yes.
Once the factory reset has been complete, you should make sure the car has your correct time zone, DST (or not) and your location using Setup to Calibrate the NAV nearby your home location.

The NAV may not have re-calibrated because it still had the old location data in its system.

Last edited by bclexus; 05-22-23 at 07:12 PM. Reason: orthography
Old 05-23-23, 02:48 PM
bayareaemt
Driver

I performed the above steps and it didn't make any difference.

I found that "GPS" text in grey color above the 3 cards with HD symbol. Should that "GPS" show up in grey or green color? I saw video on youtube about navigation from RX350 but it looked like green color text for GPS there.
Old 05-23-23, 02:50 PM
bayareaemt
Driver

Does anyone have steps in troubleshooting to make sure GPS antenna didn't disconnect or what is should look like? I found instructions on how to remove radio and screen above. I am not sure if gps antenna plugs into Radio or screen above and what that connection looks like.

I spent some time checking headliner area and rear-right piller trim and that is where all cables/sockets are connected fine.
Old 05-23-23, 06:50 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

@bayareaemt - What type of place did you buy the car from? Is there any warranty at all that came with the purchase? You may end up needing to visit your local Lexus dealership to get it working, so any help from whoever you purchased the car from should be a reasonable request.
Old 05-24-23, 08:53 AM
NJLEXES
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

There is a service bulletin (TSB) about this issue INCORRECT VEHICLE LOCATION and your car would be affected ... 19LE05
Sounds like that could be the culprit
Old 05-24-23, 09:00 AM
bayareaemt
Driver

Can someone confirm if the "GPS" text is supposed to show up like that color? Other stuff above and below is in bold white color. GPS is not colored like that and seems to be greyed out.

@bclexus Thanks for all the valuable intel you are providing so far. Unfortunately I bought car from a dealer in Nevada and got it shipped and it came with "AS IS" condition. My bad, that I didn't spot the issue when vehicle was on their location and when I did detailed video call on each feature (actually I had no idea about how to make sure GPS signal is there or not as never had this problem with any vehicles in past).

@njlexus Thanks for pointing out that TSB. I will look up to see if that can address my issue

To me it sounds like, this might have something to do with audio not working which dealer had said they will get it fixed and they got amplifier repaired by some facility. Car didn't have any accidents and didn't have any flood damage or such though. I see that amplifier going out is common issue. I will wait for someone to confirm the color of "GPS" text by looking at above picture. Friend of mine told me that it seems like there is no GPS signal.
Old 05-24-23, 09:17 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Here is what my 'GPS' text looks like on the NAV screen of a 2018 GS 450h:

Last edited by bclexus; 05-24-23 at 09:40 AM. Reason: orthography
Old 05-24-23, 09:22 AM
bayareaemt
Driver

@bclexus, Thanks a lot for picture. It confirms that I don't have a GPS signal.

Since I am on my own and I have a friend who is handy with opening up interior (he also does stereo upgrades by himself), is there any pointer someone can provide on what GPS connector looks like and whether it connects behind screen or behind radio unit? I will double check TSB details posted also
Old 05-24-23, 09:31 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Here's a 2018 Lexus GS 350 NAV screen image showing the 'GPS' text to be white and not greyed-out.

Last edited by bclexus; 05-24-23 at 09:40 AM. Reason: orthography
Old 05-24-23, 09:38 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bayareaemt
@bclexus, Thanks a lot for picture. It confirms that I don't have a GPS signal.

Since I am on my own and I have a friend who is handy with opening up interior (he also does stereo upgrades by himself), is there any pointer someone can provide on what GPS connector looks like and whether it connects behind screen or behind radio unit? I will double check TSB details posted also
@bayareaemt - Yeah, I'd say you're probably right - you don't have a GPS signal. But why? Was the shark fin antenna on the roof ever damaged? Did the previous owner change/add/modify any associated equipment? It's certainly not like that connection just becomes unplugged.

You should tag (contact) member 'peasodos' - @peasodos is very familiar with all the connections for the GS 350 radio head unit and NAV.

Last edited by bclexus; 05-24-23 at 09:48 AM. Reason: orthography
Old 05-24-23, 09:50 AM
bayareaemt
Driver

@peasodos Hi Sir, if you can DM me ( I am newer to forum so couldn't DM you), it will be great.
Old 05-24-23, 10:09 AM
bayareaemt
Driver

Originally Posted by bclexus
@bayareaemt - Yeah, I'd say you're probably right - you don't have a GPS signal. But why? Was the shark fin antenna on the roof ever damaged? Did the previous owner change/add/modify any associated equipment? It's certainly not like that connection just becomes unplugged.
@bclexus I have no idea on what previous owner might have done. I got the car based on the very attractive price I negotiated and really low 35k miles. Have other lexus cars in family so I wanted to add another one instead of another brand. I don't see any tint work or wrap-work done which might require to be somewhere near that area in roof-liner. Only thing I know is when Audio wasn't working, used car dealer promised to get it addressed and he gave to some shop who troubleshooted radio issues and fixed amplifier.

I read on this forum to find out that amplifier issue is very common due to the location of it in bottom right side of trunk. Not sure if the guy opened the radio unit also to troubleshoot something.
Old 05-24-23, 10:24 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bayareaemt
@bclexus I have no idea on what previous owner might have done. I got the car based on the very attractive price I negotiated and really low 35k miles. Have other lexus cars in family so I wanted to add another one instead of another brand. I don't see any tint work or wrap-work done which might require to be somewhere near that area in roof-liner. Only thing I know is when Audio wasn't working, used car dealer promised to get it addressed and he gave to some shop who troubleshooted radio issues and fixed amplifier.

I read on this forum to find out that amplifier issue is very common due to the location of it in bottom right side of trunk. Not sure if the guy opened the radio unit also to troubleshoot something.
I presume the amplifier is working and you have normal audio gain now. Was the amplifier/head unit work done local to you or in Nevada before you received the car?

I guess whoever worked on it may have pulled the head unit and while doing so disconnected the GPS antenna cable and failed to get it plugged back in . Hopefully your friend finds the problem quickly because it is very apparent to him when he opens things up to troubleshoot and the fix is straightforward and easy. Keep us informed.
Old 05-24-23, 10:31 AM
bayareaemt
Driver

Originally Posted by bclexus
I presume the amplifier is working and you have normal audio gain now. Was the amplifier/head unit work done local to you or in Nevada before you received the car?

I guess whoever worked on it may have pulled the head unit and while doing so disconnected the GPS antenna cable and failed to get it plugged back in . Hopefully your friend finds the problem quickly because it is very apparent to him when he opens things up to troubleshoot and the fix is straightforward and easy. Keep us informed.
Work was done in Las Vegas Nevada as it was promised to me part of deal. I reached out to sales guy and see if he can help me in talking to the shop, he was saying he was 99% sure that they would have removed radio unit as part of initial troubleshooting. I pointed out they hid the fact about GPS not working and he was apologetic, said they themselves didn't know. He said in this deal they already sold car with no profit (BS to me) so his mgmt can't help with refund of cost to get GPS signal fixed.

Quick Reply: problem with GPS being far from location