GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

What would you change about your GS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-23, 03:19 PM
teigen
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

A more comfortable seat, and I have Lux package with 18 way power seats. 18 way adjustment does not make them comfortable. My 07 ES base had more comfortable seats. Best seats I’ve had in a Lexus are the SC430.

While I like the idea of a manual transmission and enjoy shifting my own gears, I’d live with the auto tranny if I could move that ( f*$&!@# ) AWD hump to the passenger side. It is the only thing I despise about this car and it will 100% keep me from buying another GS.
Old 05-31-23, 08:56 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 219 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by teigen
A more comfortable seat, and I have Lux package with 18 way power seats. 18 way adjustment does not make them comfortable. My 07 ES base had more comfortable seats. Best seats I’ve had in a Lexus are the SC430.

While I like the idea of a manual transmission and enjoy shifting my own gears, I’d live with the auto tranny if I could move that ( f*$&!@# ) AWD hump to the passenger side. It is the only thing I despise about this car and it will 100% keep me from buying another GS.
To be fair, the transfer case is on the passenger side in car's country of origin. That having been said, having had 3 distinct cars with the AWD hump (2IS, 3IS, 4GS), I have never noticed it as a problem. My leg goes right over it to the gas pedal and I never actually comes into contact with it, but I may sit farther forward than some, despite my 6 foot frame.

Originally Posted by offroad200
Yeah I don't care if an auto is faster. Would still rather have a manual. It's much more engaging and fun.
In many cases, I would agree. I am a manual transmission evangelist, having owned several in varying degrees of fun cars, having driven several more in anger, and planning to purchase at least one more in the future, but I also believe that cars are designed with a philosophy, this one being luxury daily driver. All-Speed Adaptive Cruise Control was one of the major selling points for me, as my driving, unfortunately, involves heavy traffic and city streets as much as it does on "fun" winding roads. That system is simply not possible with a manual transmission, unless you're going with Christian von Koenisegg's Lightspeed DCT as implemented in the CC850. However, the other major selling point was the chassis dynamics, having experienced and fallen in love with a GS-F at NJMP.

All of that having been said, I have never driven my car, including on solo drives up and down very dynamic mountain roads, and thought "a manual would make this experience better". The 2GR-FKS, in this state of tune, is not engaging enough to make me want to interact with it more the way I would an LS/LT V8 or a hot 3S-GE with ITBs, and the chassis, while very competent, does not provide enough feedback enough to highlight the loss of connection through the transmission as a major failing. But then again, if I felt that way, I'd have bought a manual F10 535i X-Drive instead of a GS 350.

Last edited by GrandSedanFan; 05-31-23 at 09:23 PM.
Old 06-01-23, 04:16 AM
Intermediate

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

Drop the steering wheel an inch & make it extend an inch further
The following users liked this post:
GrandSedanFan (06-01-23)
Old 06-01-23, 06:07 AM
teigen
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by panyo64
To be fair, the transfer case is on the passenger side in car's country of origin. That having been said, having had 3 distinct cars with the AWD hump (2IS, 3IS, 4GS), I have never noticed it as a problem. My leg goes right over it to the gas pedal and I never actually comes into contact with it, but I may sit farther forward than some, despite my 6 foot frame.
While I understand the hump is on the passenger side in country of origin, they should have swapped it for this market (in my opinion). During test driving (which in hindsight wasn’t long enough), I did not think the AWD hump would bother me as much as it ended up. For short rides; errands, driving to work, etc I can deal with the hump. But for me, it makes any trip over 30 mins out of the question. To me this is the biggest disappointment, as it’s a car meant for road-trips.

When long distance cruising (using cruise control), the hump is right where I want to rest my right foot. It makes for an uncomfortable journey, and has rendered my car useless for traveling any long distances. This can be seen in the mileage we put on our vehicles; averaging only 11,000 miles per year on GS since purchasing - purchased with 66,000 and just rolled 100,000. In the same time, we are averaging 25,000+ per year on our RX. Recently purchased an SC430 (in March), and my GS has not left the garage in weeks. Since March, we’ve put 3,000 miles on the SC, and less than 300 on the GS. This is a bummer, as I really enjoy the car in ever other aspect. Change the seats, remove the hump, and it’s a perfect car.
mjo13 (06-01-23)
Old 06-01-23, 07:09 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 364 Likes on 253 Posts

I have rear seat climate controls. The setting to return the car to single zone requires too much interaction w the climate control.

If you could just hit 'Auto' three times or hold it in or something to return the car to single zone that would make me so happy.

I also want one prominent button to cycle through paired bluetooth devices. It's such a pain to switch sources, and it won't let you while in motion, even for a passenger despite the fact that you can do *anything else*. Most cars are bad a this until Apple/Android arrives.

Last edited by jonathancl; 06-01-23 at 07:24 AM.
Old 06-01-23, 07:11 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Originally Posted by teigen
While I understand the hump is on the passenger side in country of origin, they should have swapped it for this market (in my opinion). During test driving (which in hindsight wasn’t long enough), I did not think the AWD hump would bother me as much as it ended up. For short rides; errands, driving to work, etc I can deal with the hump. But for me, it makes any trip over 30 mins out of the question. To me this is the biggest disappointment, as it’s a car meant for road-trips.

When long distance cruising (using cruise control), the hump is right where I want to rest my right foot. It makes for an uncomfortable journey, and has rendered my car useless for traveling any long distances. This can be seen in the mileage we put on our vehicles; averaging only 11,000 miles per year on GS since purchasing - purchased with 66,000 and just rolled 100,000. In the same time, we are averaging 25,000+ per year on our RX. Recently purchased an SC430 (in March), and my GS has not left the garage in weeks. Since March, we’ve put 3,000 miles on the SC, and less than 300 on the GS. This is a bummer, as I really enjoy the car in ever other aspect. Change the seats, remove the hump, and it’s a perfect car.
Moving the hump would have necessitated an entirely new, third unibody for the 4GS, which would have required additional engineering and crash testing, as well as tooling for a third unibody production line, at the cost of tens of millions of dollars. I know this is a common complaint across the IS, GS, and RC, so I count myself lucky that it doesn't bother me, as I regularly drive long, multiple hour stints. The seats are on the firmer side, but I find them to be quite supportive and do not have the same aches, numbness, or hot spots I've experienced in other cars after a long drive.
Old 06-01-23, 07:21 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

You can count me on the list of those who would love a manual transmission in the GS. After many, many years of only driving manuals, it has been too long since I've had one in my garage. I recently had a rental car with a manual and it made me realize how much I miss it. I may satisfy that itch by picking up a Supra, GR86, or something else small and fun that I can row my own gears in.

As for the AWD hump, it's never been an issue for me. It was far more noticeable in my IS350, but it's far enough back in the GS that it doesn't interfere with where I want to put my foot/leg, but I can see how it could be an issue for some. I find that the GS really shines for me on a long road trip, though when it's the whole family, the Tundra is our road trip vehicle of choice.

In honesty, there is very little that I would change on my GS. There's a reason why I've had 3 of them.
offroad200 (06-02-23)
Old 06-01-23, 08:36 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Originally Posted by JDR76
You can count me on the list of those who would love a manual transmission in the GS. After many, many years of only driving manuals, it has been too long since I've had one in my garage. I recently had a rental car with a manual and it made me realize how much I miss it. I may satisfy that itch by picking up a Supra, GR86, or something else small and fun that I can row my own gears in.

As for the AWD hump, it's never been an issue for me. It was far more noticeable in my IS350, but it's far enough back in the GS that it doesn't interfere with where I want to put my foot/leg, but I can see how it could be an issue for some. I find that the GS really shines for me on a long road trip, though when it's the whole family, the Tundra is our road trip vehicle of choice.

In honesty, there is very little that I would change on my GS. There's a reason why I've had 3 of them.
For track work, I would avoid the GR86 for now unless you're willing to drop the oil pan and regasket. The oil pan RTV gasket/starvation issue has reared its head on a few cars, resulting in catastrophic failure. Manual GR Supras are FAST, like run with an LT1 Camaro fast, and not particularly heavy as modern sports cars go - 300lbs lighter than a comparable Nissan Z.

Might I suggest Toyota's 100% in-house fun car, the GR Corolla.
Old 06-01-23, 10:05 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,157 Likes on 854 Posts

I wouldn't change much, but I would say:
-Better gas mileage from the 3.5L in AWD form
-A touchscreen interface - not sure why they went away from the touchscreens from the 3GS and it took Lexus a decade but finally re-implementing them on newer cars
-A non GS F V8 engine option (e.g. GS500) bc w/the gas mileage i'm getting from the 3.5L, i'd give up a few more mpg's for a smooth, refined V8
Old 06-01-23, 10:35 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 544 Likes on 396 Posts

Wish it had wider door armrests.
Old 06-01-23, 11:26 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

I thought of two minor things! Add back the grocery hook in the trunk! Ahhh!!!!

The other is the interior dome lights are yellow and they should be crisp white. They were perfect on my 2015 but they switched them out to yellow on my 2019 and 2020. I hate that. Now they are dim and ugly.
Old 06-01-23, 12:23 PM
thisguy_06
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Practicality standpoint, I'd like to be able to fold the rear seats down to move around large objects.
GrandSedanFan (06-01-23)
Old 06-01-23, 01:53 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Originally Posted by JDR76
I thought of two minor things! Add back the grocery hook in the trunk! Ahhh!!!!

The other is the interior dome lights are yellow and they should be crisp white. They were perfect on my 2015 but they switched them out to yellow on my 2019 and 2020. I hate that. Now they are dim and ugly.
The front and rear dome lights are 4300k white on my 2018. Not quite the crisp 6000k white as the reading lights, but they are certainly white, not the 3500k daylight yellow that was in my RX350.

Also, my 2018 has the spring-loaded grocery hook.
Old 06-01-23, 03:56 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by panyo64
The front and rear dome lights are 4300k white on my 2018. Not quite the crisp 6000k white as the reading lights, but they are certainly white, not the 3500k daylight yellow that was in my RX350.

Also, my 2018 has the spring-loaded grocery hook.
I really liked the lighting in my 15. I wish they wouldn't have changed it. In my 20, it looks awful, highlighted even more so when the map lights are on that are still crisp white.

If I recall correctly, they deleted the grocery hook starting in 19.
Old 06-01-23, 06:02 PM
Jakerin
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I’d like the armrests extended about 4”, auto door locks as I walk away and a remote starter. The dash reflection in the windshield is also a PITA especially driving thru alternating shady/sunny areas like mountain tree lined roads. Would also be nice to be able to turn off the ‘mouse’ on the console so it doesn’t get touched which can change channels, operate the heater or a/c.

Quick Reply: What would you change about your GS?