GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

What would you change about your GS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-23 | 06:35 PM
zheka130
Pit Crew

Default What would you change about your GS?

Theoretical changes, that you would like to see, that is. I'll start.

1) I'd put a more aggressive ZF gearbox in them, instead of an Aisin gearbox.
2) Offer a manual option.
3) Equip the F Sport with an LSD.
Old 05-28-23 | 06:55 PM
Savjam
Pit Crew

First I must mention that I really love my GS350 F Sport as it provides a balance between luxury and sport.
Good suggestions. The Aisin transmission is not bad but the ZF is more responsive. I really loved them in the BMWs. Seeing how good automatics are today and the ability to shift manually, I do not miss the manual transmission. I would add revising the suspension for better handling (benchmark the BMW E39) which can be easily done without affecting the ride quality.
Old 05-29-23 | 01:45 AM
gs350noob
Intermediate

Add a sunglass holder. Quieter at idle. Magically add 10mpg and make it run the same on regular gas. Otherwise the car is basically perfect for what I like.
The following users liked this post:
G35toGS350 (05-29-23)
Old 05-29-23 | 10:38 AM
offroad200
Instructor

Was just thinking the other day that a manual transmission would almost make this the perfect car!
G35toGS350 (05-29-23)
Old 05-29-23 | 11:28 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

The Trans is fine. The Auto Trans nowadays out run the manuals anyway. D3 and Tune by Loi have both nailed the Trans ECU tuning to shift and stay locked up way more, and more responsive performance wise. What I would change is that it was another GS460 V8 again.
G35toGS350 (05-29-23)
Old 05-29-23 | 11:56 AM
goose300
Pit Crew

+1 on the ZF transmission. Drove a friends 15 335i and my god that transmission was the smoothest and snappiest one I've driven outside a DCT. Feel like it would be a perfect match with the 2GR.

That and a sunglasses holder
Old 05-29-23 | 01:54 PM
TT2
10th Gear

DCT trans option
GS500
More rear seat legroom
More sound deadening
Move cupholders to the side of console
HUD
Sunglass compartment
Eliminate need to slide console back before tilting up
Old 05-29-23 | 03:42 PM
kolyan
Advanced

Lower AWD by an inch, get rid off all the chrome on exterior, better tranny (and fuel economy), entertainment system controls suck....should've just used what everyone else does.
Old 05-30-23 | 05:36 AM
zheka130
Pit Crew

Proper solid exhaust tips would be nice as well.
They put them on the new Camry, why not on a more premium vehicle?
Old 05-30-23 | 05:41 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Android/Apple integration. Othewise, it is a fine car for me. Plenty of room and other options that keep me satisfied.

From a mechanical standpoint, I would have never installed the rear hub without a camber adjustment, which I did and I'd have never put the ABS sensor INSIDE the pressed in shield that is pressed on the axle bearing. Nearly impossible to replace without complete disassembly of the rear hub.
Old 05-30-23 | 07:13 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

In no particular order.

1. Better stance - RSR Down ride height should have been factory and the OEM wheels should have been 15mm to 20mm lower offset. I am uninterested in spacers.
2. Better rear dampening - I think that may be specific to my car with RSR Downs, fresh OEM rear shocks and fresh KYB AVS front struts. The rear feel much softer than the front, but I wonder if the KYB AVS shocks are stiffer, closer to the 2015.
2. More brake thermal capacity - my AWD keeps overheating factory pads just braking for offramps, and none of the budget brake upgrades (RWD F-Sport, IS-F, GS-F) bolt up to the AWD front knuckle.
3. Apple CarPlay/ Android Auto OEM integration - my workaround is to run google maps off my phone and stream Bluetooth audio (I use Spotify for music already).
4. Smaller steering wheel - there is a reason the GS-F comes with an RC-F/IS steering wheel, which is .5" smaller diameter. It makes a world of difference.

And if someone is granting engineering wishes - AWD GS-F (2UR mated to an AA80E with a selectable A760H transfer case and Torsen front and rear diffs. While I'd prefer an aluminum 2JZ-GTE, it would likely mess with the weight balance - extend too far forward of the front axle.) I'd also add GS 350 Luxury seats. The GS-F seats are too narrow in the bottom and not nearly as adjustable. Also, I really miss the semi-analine leather from my RX350 Luxury.

Last edited by GrandSedanFan; 05-30-23 at 07:30 AM.
jgscott (05-30-23)
Old 05-30-23 | 08:25 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by panyo64
In no particular order.

1. Better stance - RSR Down ride height should have been factory and the OEM wheels should have been 15mm to 20mm lower offset. I am uninterested in spacers.
2. Better rear dampening - I think that may be specific to my car with RSR Downs, fresh OEM rear shocks and fresh KYB AVS front struts. The rear feel much softer than the front, but I wonder if the KYB AVS shocks are stiffer, closer to the 2015.
2. More brake thermal capacity - my AWD keeps overheating factory pads just braking for offramps, and none of the budget brake upgrades (RWD F-Sport, IS-F, GS-F) bolt up to the AWD front knuckle.
3. Apple CarPlay/ Android Auto OEM integration - my workaround is to run google maps off my phone and stream Bluetooth audio (I use Spotify for music already).
4. Smaller steering wheel - there is a reason the GS-F comes with an RC-F/IS steering wheel, which is .5" smaller diameter. It makes a world of difference.

And if someone is granting engineering wishes - AWD GS-F (2UR mated to an AA80E with a selectable A760H transfer case and Torsen front and rear diffs. While I'd prefer an aluminum 2JZ-GTE, it would likely mess with the weight balance - extend too far forward of the front axle.) I'd also add GS 350 Luxury seats. The GS-F seats are too narrow in the bottom and not nearly as adjustable. Also, I really miss the semi-analine leather from my RX350 Luxury.
Some great points!

Factory offset spacing sucks. Most others like cars do not have the wheels sticking so far in at all.

Brakes heat to fast, for even one hard braking they can get cooked and then that's it for that set. F Sport ones included. Just not made for the weight of the car. Include that tiny Economy car rear Rotor.

Carplay? So our older Kia Optima SXL that did not have carplay originally, was given a Free Software update by Kia, that then gave it the full carplay option. Free from Kia. Would be nice if Lexus gave us just a update, then we all had Carplay.

I started a whole thread about I hate that Big dumb steering wheel. Most did not notice how big it was. Man would the handling be better. +1 on the world of difference. GS F/RC F wheel is nice.

On the seat bottoms, Lower the seat. It's up too high, like a old Caddy or LS. Big wheel, high sitting seat like a SUV.

One more gripe - Change the inside Trunk unlock button to up higher. Its way under the dash stupidly. Should have been up near the TRAC and BSM buttons. On my list one day is to switch the TRAC with the Trunk open button.

Old 05-31-23 | 01:01 PM
offroad200
Instructor

Originally Posted by jgscott
The Trans is fine. The Auto Trans nowadays out run the manuals anyway. D3 and Tune by Loi have both nailed the Trans ECU tuning to shift and stay locked up way more, and more responsive performance wise. What I would change is that it was another GS460 V8 again.
Yeah I don't care if an auto is faster. Would still rather have a manual. It's much more engaging and fun.
Old 05-31-23 | 01:21 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by offroad200
Yeah I don't care if an auto is faster. Would still rather have a manual. It's much more engaging and fun.
Too each their own. The other problem is they would have not made many of them, they would have been of lower value, and they would not have sold well. Not what car companies want to happen. There is a Kit in Japan that converts to manual if you really want one to engage yourself.
Old 05-31-23 | 03:13 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Originally Posted by offroad200
That is exactly why my other car is a manual. I can cruise in style or bang gears.
The following 2 users liked this post by Knucklebus:
JDR76 (06-01-23), offroad200 (06-01-23)

Quick Reply: What would you change about your GS?