GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Michelin Tires: Climate 2 vs Pilot Sport S

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-23, 04:33 AM
Hues10
Advanced

Received 162 Likes on 125 Posts
Default Michelin Tires: Climate 2 vs Pilot Sport S

So yet another tire posting. Background: My Dunlop SportMax tires broke a belt (one of them did) so I bought 4 new Michelin Cross Climate 2 tires at Costco in April. Tires were six years old so replaced them all. I have only put 500 miles on these so far, but something strange is happening. They track fine while driving. I mean a little different than the Dunlops, but nothing bad, but when I am coasting to a stop and I have my hands on the wheel loosely, the steering wheel will pull about 20 degrees to the right. As if the tire tread pattern takes over the wheel and pulls it towards that side. Not every time I drive it, but often enough. Has anyone ever heard of this? Fortunately, Michelin has a 60 day satisfaction guarantee, which I am thinking of switching the Cross Climate 2 tires out for the Michelin Sport S Summer tires. Going to stick with Costco, so it is Michelin only. Any opinions? Thanks.
Old 05-29-23, 05:42 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,495 Posts

Originally Posted by Hues10
So yet another tire posting. Background: My Dunlop SportMax tires broke a belt (one of them did) so I bought 4 new Michelin Cross Climate 2 tires at Costco in April. Tires were six years old so replaced them all. I have only put 500 miles on these so far, but something strange is happening. They track fine while driving. I mean a little different than the Dunlops, but nothing bad, but when I am coasting to a stop and I have my hands on the wheel loosely, the steering wheel will pull about 20 degrees to the right. As if the tire tread pattern takes over the wheel and pulls it towards that side. Not every time I drive it, but often enough. Has anyone ever heard of this? Fortunately, Michelin has a 60 day satisfaction guarantee, which I am thinking of switching the Cross Climate 2 tires out for the Michelin Sport S Summer tires. Going to stick with Costco, so it is Michelin only. Any opinions? Thanks.
@Hues10 - It looks like you are not the only one that has a complaint about the Michelin Cross Climate 2 tires pulling or drifting to one side. Customers have noted that, at times, these tires cause the vehicle to drift from side to side or pull to a certain side.

I realize you are in Florida, but at times it can get somewhat cool in the sunshine state. Just be aware of the danger in driving Michelin Sport S Summer tires in lower temperatures. Once below 40 degrees the summer tire's rubber composition transitions to a hockey puck hardness and you loose a lot of traction, if not almost all traction. Also, the rubber starts to degrade pretty significantly (i.e. cracking, etc.). The compound of any sport Summer tire (P Zeros, PS4S (etc.) are really horrible in performance once the rubber compound hits below 45-40 degrees. They can truly be dangerous causing an unexpected spinout in a nano-second as if you were driving on stainless-steel ball-bearings with zero traction to the pavement - unable to steer the car or brake the car's speed. Personally, I'd go with a top quality all-season tire...
Old 05-29-23, 05:49 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,320 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Just the visual of of that tread design is a no way to me. Looks like way too much going on there, and I can just imagine the noise with wear they would make.
The following users liked this post:
bclexus (05-29-23)
Old 05-29-23, 11:39 AM
TreysGS460
Intermediate

Received 148 Likes on 110 Posts

The 4S is probably overkill for you, same with the 4 or 5.

I would check out the All season 4.
Old 05-29-23, 12:48 PM
Hues10
Advanced

So basically Trey, you are saying I am some old geezer living in Florida and will never use the 4S properly the way it is intended. Point taken. I will look further. To BC and JG, thanks for your input!
Old 05-29-23, 01:07 PM
TreysGS460
Intermediate

Received 148 Likes on 110 Posts

Just going off your last purchased tires, if you bought the crossclimates you would want an all season, since the issue with them was just a defect. I have no idea how old you are lol

Anyways, if you want the most performance out of your car then sure, pay up for the 4S. I love mine, just paid $735 for two new rears, although I'm sure costco has a good deal when you buy 4, right?
Old 05-29-23, 01:48 PM
TT2
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought CrossClimate 2's for my old IS and loved them, no issues over the course of a year. Those tires were phenomenal in Ohio winters and plowed right through 6in of snow. With that said, I'd use them only if you're expecting significant snow and ice. For warmer climates, I would just go with all-season PS4.
Old 05-29-23, 01:52 PM
lexo98
Racer

Received 273 Likes on 235 Posts

I would be more curious if swapping the tires from the right side to the left side (would require dismounting) would the vehicle still pull to the right. It’s extremely odd for 4 brand new tires to be the reason your vehicle would pull to a side. Did you have your alignment checked after the tires were installed?
Old 05-29-23, 04:30 PM
Nimimi
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I went with the CrossClimate's because of the rating on Tire Rack. They are quite and really hold the road on snow and especially rain (we get some of each here in WA state).
Old 05-29-23, 07:22 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts

So basically Trey, you are saying I am some old geezer living in Florida and will never use the 4S properly the way it is intended. Point taken. I will look further. To BC and JG, thanks for your input!
To be fair, I drive the hell out of my cars, but the 4S really is overkill for a daily driver, especially one that is not traction limited. The aggressive compound is very sticky, but wears quickly.

My Mustang was a manual, 420hp V8, with adjustable shocks and springs from the track special Boss 302 Laguna Seca and BMR sway bars. Even on that car, because it was a daily driver and 100% street car, I went with Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 3+, which were nearly as sticky as many other brands' Ultra High Performance Summer tires, but with twice the tread life and with no cold-related rubber cracking issues. That car was still able to achieve more than 1G in corners on the AS3+. The All Season 4 is the next generation of that perfect compromise tire.
JeffKeryk (05-29-23)
Old 05-30-23, 04:58 AM
Hues10
Advanced

Thanks for everyone’s input. Sounds like I did overkill with the Cross Climate 2’s as I will not see snow in them. Most likely, I will change them out to the all season Pilot’s so that I can drive them out of state if need be in the fall/winter. Plus, they are a little cheaper (like $40 per tire), and I do not drive aggressively here in Orlando. There is really no place to do that here. Flat crowded roads all over.
bclexus (05-30-23)