GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS)

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-23, 09:11 PM
vr408
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS)

I recently had my tires changed and one TPMS went out (shop claims battery is dead and one TPMS has a low battery - they showed me the TPMS scanner).
They also said if they change the one, it can potentially cause the other sensors to not read properly. Which doesn't make any sense to me.
Each TPMS is $80. Based on what the guy said, this can go from a $80 job to $320 just like that.

This is for a 2014 GS350 F-Sport RWD (staggered wheel set up). I have never changed the TPMS before, so they're coming up on 9-10yrs old.
Based on what I've researched online that's the typical lifespan of the TPMS.

Any advice or recommendations?
Old 05-30-23, 02:05 AM
PGA71
Intermediate

Received 403 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by vr408
I recently had my tires changed and one TPMS went out (shop claims battery is dead and one TPMS has a low battery - they showed me the TPMS scanner).
They also said if they change the one, it can potentially cause the other sensors to not read properly. Which doesn't make any sense to me.
Each TPMS is $80. Based on what the guy said, this can go from a $80 job to $320 just like that.

This is for a 2014 GS350 F-Sport RWD (staggered wheel set up). I have never changed the TPMS before, so they're coming up on 9-10yrs old.
Based on what I've researched online that's the typical lifespan of the TPMS.

Any advice or recommendations?
Not sure why the others won't read properly if you change one, but if you plan on keeping the car, might as well do them all since they typically go in 10 years.
The following users liked this post:
vr408 (06-04-23)
Old 05-30-23, 04:27 AM
93SCMax
Intermediate

Received 102 Likes on 69 Posts

3rd Gen owner here...mine lasted 13 years (they may be a different PN than the 4th Gen GS).

I had all 4 of my TPMS sensors replaced a few years ago...they were originals on a 2007 GS350. Only one had failed (battery dead), but if you do one, you should do all of them, otherwise you may be doing another shortly.

I purchased 4 Toyota OEM sensors mail order (web order) from McGeorge Toyota in Richmond, Va...$280 shipped. Discount Tire here in Summerville, SC installed them and paired them to the car for $10 a tire...so another $40. I'm good to go for another 13 years or so, and love knowing I have OEM sensors...I just don't trust the cheap aftermarket ones and was so pleased that I didn't spend the big bucks at the Lexus dealer. Also great to have that damn orange tire light off.

I'd recommend OEM, or Denso from RockAuto. Be careful because there are a lot of cheap Chinese sensors out there. They will not hold up like the OEM sensors.

Corrected...thanks MX73.

Good luck.

Last edited by 93SCMax; 05-30-23 at 08:26 AM.
vr408 (06-04-23)
Old 05-30-23, 08:21 AM
MX73
Racer

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by 93SCMax
3rd Gen owner here...mine lasted 13 years (they may be a different PN than the 4th Gen GS).

I had all 4 of my TPMS sensors replaced a few years ago...they were originals on a 2007 GS350. Only one had failed (battery dead), but if you do one, you should do all of them, otherwise you may be doing another shortly.

I purchased 4 Toyota OEM sensors mail order (web order) from McGeorge Toyota in Richmond, Va...$280 shipped. Discount Tire here in Summerville, SC installed them and paired them to the car for $10 a tire...so another $40. I'm good to go for another 13 years or so, and love knowing I have OEM sensors...I just don't trust the cheap aftermarket ones and was so pleased that I didn't spend the big bucks at the Lexus dealer. Also great to have that damn orange tire light off.

I'd recommend OEM or NGK from RockAuto. Be careful because there are a lot of cheap Chinese sensors out there. They will not hold up like the OEM sensors.

Good luck.
NGK doesn't make TPMS. It's Denso or Pacific Industry.
+1 on Rockauto. 40 bucks a piece.
The following 2 users liked this post by MX73:
93SCMax (05-30-23), vr408 (06-04-23)
Old 05-30-23, 01:08 PM
surgeon0
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

+1 on Rockauto. Denso. Mine seems to be going out also. I just changed tires 2 weeks ago and forgot about the sensors. I read somewhere here while ago that Discount did the replace without buying tires. So going this approach as well. Or might get a bidirectional OBD tool and save that $100 bucks. The sensors come programmed but we have to write the IDs.
vr408 (06-04-23)
Old 05-30-23, 06:46 PM
lexo98
Racer

Received 273 Likes on 235 Posts

They should be telling you that when one sensor goes the others usually aren’t too far behind. The scan tools aren’t very good at telling you when a battery is low. Even though they just scanned your sensors and 1 came up bad and 1 low, during the relearn process it’s still possible another sensor won’t put out a signal strong enough to complete the process. They are preparing you for potential issues so that you don’t get blindsided when the estimate doubles.
vr408 (06-04-23)
Old 05-31-23, 07:33 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 250 Posts

Mine are on their last legs. I hadn't had any issues before I did tires two years ago, and now the TMPS either can't read pressure or just blinks the yellow lamp about 75-80% of the time.

Should have done the sensors when I did the tires...
vr408 (06-04-23)
Old 06-05-23, 01:25 PM
surgeon0
Pit Crew

Just fyi... Called discount tire. Told them I will bring programmed sensors and ID needs to be registered. So transferred to front desk.
They only install and program their own... It seems their tool does not program anything else... They charge 125 per tire which includes their sensor with programming. These lexus sensors dont need programming but just ID registration. (There is a thread on this forum showing that on Techstream).
Technically, the "tool" should be able to register any sensor by ID (esp when already programmed). So this is their bs way of saying buy from them.

Costco also installs/programs their own. Anyone else have any different experience. Several threads mention Discount charged $10 per tire or $100 whole set... So most likely those are for sensors purchased there. And the difference is either when new tires or separate installs.

I will wait for my VCI cable and check on car before getting them on Rockauto and do this on the driveway.... If not going to work out, avoid that and probably get them done at this cost ....

Most shops give a lot of bs. But will check in with other indy shops in the meanwhile...
vr408 (06-15-23)
Old 06-06-23, 12:53 PM
jimanna
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am at my wits end. I am sure my sensors are going out, nothing else makes sense. Right now I am in a small town that has one auto repair shop. They told me today they cannot put new sensors on my car because their equipment will not calibrate the senors after they are installed? And I have to drive to a Lexus dealership and that is over 2 hours away.

I cannot believe that is true, esp from what I am reading on here? Can anyone here explain to me what I can do to keep from having to go all the way to a Lexus Dealership? The idea of that drains me.
vr408 (06-15-23)
Old 06-06-23, 01:21 PM
surgeon0
Pit Crew

As for the shops (tire shops), if they are able to program things via their tool, it should work. However it is possible they dont have the right model. Maybe another way for them is to clone the current IDs on to the new one.
After install, the requirement is to register the IDs as they come pre-programmed. If you took pics of each one before install and noted tire, then the ID can be written. If not you need the IDs.

If the shop has a tool that can at least active/read TPMS sensor, then....
https://www.rav4world.com/threads/tp...stream.308921/

The full-function tools used are expensive. However, Techstream is supposed to be able to register, but requires a VCI cable.
Using TechStream to program the TPMS sensors. Starts at post 192
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...system-13.html
or see this video:
Replace Broken TPMS Sensor and Add New TPMS Sensor in Toyota Lexus or Scion w/ TechStream TIS
I wanted to try this but waiting for cable. If you dont need this due to a renewal (CEL possible) or something, maybe wait a couple weeks. Will let you know how mine goes.
vr408 (06-15-23)
Old 06-06-23, 01:29 PM
jimanna
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great! thanks for this info, I will wait how yours works out. I am actually thinking of trading mine for a new CT200, which is what I drive now and love. But want it fix it before I do that? Seems like the way to go? I guess?
vr408 (06-15-23)
Old 06-06-23, 11:09 PM
shadowx055
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

What a coincidence, my 2016 just started showing the TPMS and no readings on all 4 tires. It went off when I was on the freeway, frantically exited and found no issues. Then I went to Costco to pump air and all tires were within 1 psi of the recommended. It’s been 2 days and the light is on + readings still blank. Will stop by the dealership next week if it continues
The following 2 users liked this post by shadowx055:
jimanna (06-07-23), vr408 (06-15-23)
Old 06-08-23, 10:16 AM
93SCMax
Intermediate

Received 102 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by surgeon0
Just fyi... Called discount tire. Told them I will bring programmed sensors and ID needs to be registered. So transferred to front desk.
They only install and program their own... It seems their tool does not program anything else... They charge 125 per tire which includes their sensor with programming. These lexus sensors dont need programming but just ID registration. (There is a thread on this forum showing that on Techstream).
Technically, the "tool" should be able to register any sensor by ID (esp when already programmed). So this is their bs way of saying buy from them.

Costco also installs/programs their own. Anyone else have any different experience. Several threads mention Discount charged $10 per tire or $100 whole set... So most likely those are for sensors purchased there. And the difference is either when new tires or separate installs.

I will wait for my VCI cable and check on car before getting them on Rockauto and do this on the driveway.... If not going to work out, avoid that and probably get them done at this cost ....

Most shops give a lot of bs. But will check in with other indy shops in the meanwhile...
I'm sorry but I researched that the Discount Tire chain in California is not affiliated with the Discount Tire chain on the East Coast. My location is Summerville, SC and they absolutely install and pair sensors brought in by the customer.
vr408 (06-15-23)
Old 06-08-23, 11:20 AM
lexo98
Racer

Received 273 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by 93SCMax
I'm sorry but I researched that the Discount Tire chain in California is not affiliated with the Discount Tire chain on the East Coast. My location is Summerville, SC and they absolutely install and pair sensors brought in by the customer.
Unless the spelling and logo is different they are the same company. Lots of shops make up their own policies.
vr408 (06-15-23)
Old 06-09-23, 02:25 PM
Longevite1
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by surgeon0

FYI, the sensors from discount tire will work but it only show low pressure sign when the air is low but not give the read out on the dash.
It's happened to me, the fked one up and replaced it with one of their own, after many tries I gave up and brought a set of reconditioned Toyota brand on eBay and Costco helped me to install 2 for the rear, because I wasn't sure which side was bad.

Last edited by Longevite1; 06-09-23 at 02:29 PM.
vr408 (06-15-23)

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS)