GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Various Issues- Suspension noise, gearbox flare, rattles

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-23, 05:54 PM
trive2
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Various Issues- Suspension noise, gearbox flare, rattles

Hi All, first timer poster- hoping to get some help with my partners 2016 GS350 Sport Luxury. We've got about 150,000km on the clock (95,000 miles) and starting to have some niggly issues. It's overall been a much more solid car than my old BMW's, but seems like it's a lot harder to get information on common problems and fixes...! Hoping you kind souls can help us out.

(Transmission)
- Gearbox clunks hard into reverse intermittently, mostly if you haven't come to an absolute standstill but sometimes even then.
- Gearbox flares the first 1-2 change when cold in the morning. It will flare 2-3 and 3-4 to a lesser degree on a really cold morning.
Note that we did a service on the box at around 100,000km. These issues didn't exist at the time and came on quite a bit later, so I don't think they're related.

(Suspension)
-
There's a dull thunking noise consistent with something like a swaybar, strut or strut top coming from the suspension at low speed over bumps. Unsure if front/rear. We replaced the front swaybar bushes, which were worn, but no change to the noise.
- There's a squeaky noise, almost like the sound of rubber moving against metal, when we go over speed bumps. Oddly the noise sounds like it's coming from the back, but is more apparent when the front wheels go over bumps.

(Interior)

- Rattle from drivers door card towards top when music is loud.
- Rattle from drivers mirror when closing the door.
- Has anyone had the crappy factory padded vinyl door cards reupholstered? Lexus wants THOUSANDS for a new one.

(Engine)
- Loud "TACK TACK TACK" noise worsening as time goes on, especially when cold, but still evident when warm. Possibly injectors, but why is it getting so loud?

(Miscellaneous)
- One headlight keeps leaking moisture in. It's been resealed professionally twice, but still leaks.
Old 06-04-23, 09:57 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 318 Likes on 248 Posts

Did you get all the maintenance done it?
Old 06-05-23, 06:48 AM
kolyan
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

If engine noise only when car is in gear (slow moving or idling in gear), could be same as I had Vacuum Pump(s) $1200 to fix at dealer.
Suspension noise could be anything. You probably need mechanic to hear it, lift the car and check everything
Old 06-05-23, 12:42 PM
EdgarLex
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Is it possible the trans always did this but you never noticed it? I kinda feel like that's how I am w/ my car lol.
Old 06-05-23, 04:35 PM
trive2
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@websurfer not sure what you mean sorry? Are you asking if we've had it serviced? If so- yes. The Lexus dealer AND an independent mechanic haven't been able to pinpoint any of these issues.

@kolyan It's noisy in park/neutral as well. That said- I just checked out a few youtube clips and it just might be a similar noise. All the clips only had audio recordings from the engine bay, and I've only bothered to listen to the noise from inside the cabin- so I'll pop the bonnet and take a look before I head out today. Might have figured out one of the issues with any luck!

@EdgarLex We specifically remember when both the gearbox issues (clunk into reverse, flaring when cold) started to occur. We bought the car 4yrs ago on 80,000km and it was absolutely flawless then, and for a while after that. It's funny, both issues kind of just appeared out of no where one day- they didn't gradually get worse like most things do.
Old 06-07-23, 03:04 AM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 312 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by trive2
Gearbox flares the first 1-2 change when cold in the morning. It will flare 2-3 and 3-4 to a lesser degree on a really cold morning.

I'd have the pan dropped, change fluid and filter, clean magnets. Cheap to do, they probably won't look at it until that's been done anyways. From there they can start checking to see what has worn, probably the clutch packs?

There's a dull thunking noise consistent with something like a swaybar, strut or strut top coming from the suspension at low speed over bumps.

Take your car to a mechanic for a full underbody inspection, if you can't identify the issue you certainly can't fix it. I kinda need to do the same, I know my LCAs squeek.

- Rattle from drivers door card towards top when music is loud.
This is well documented, search windows switch rattle

- Rattle from drivers mirror when closing the door.
It's just an old car now, nothing like that is going to be cheap to fix

- Loud "TACK TACK TACK" noise worsening as time goes on, especially when cold, but still evident when warm. Possibly injectors, but why is it getting so loud?
It's just the way the high pressure fuel pump works. Compare it to another GS or RC for comparison.

- One headlight keeps leaking moisture in. It's been resealed professionally twice, but still leaks.
You'll need to buy a new headlight.