GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Rear-facing Dashcam with rear sunshade on 4GS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-23, 10:14 PM
Amisdia
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rear-facing Dashcam with rear sunshade on 4GS?

Is it possible to put a rear-facing dashcam with the rear sunshade feature of the 4GS? I'm going to buy one and was curious if I'd be able to mount a rear dashcam with the sunshade up. I checked out the car during a test drive and it looked like there wasn't much space leftover on the window that I could mount a dashcam onto. Anyone with 4GS mounted a rear dashcam and uses the sunshade feature?
Old 06-04-23, 12:49 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 457 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by Amisdia
Is it possible to put a rear-facing dashcam with the rear sunshade feature of the 4GS? I'm going to buy one and was curious if I'd be able to mount a rear dashcam with the sunshade up. I checked out the car during a test drive and it looked like there wasn't much space leftover on the window that I could mount a dashcam onto. Anyone with 4GS mounted a rear dashcam and uses the sunshade feature?
I found that a StreetGuardian SG9665GC would not fit above the 4GS rear sunshade.
So I fitted a StreetGuardian SGZC12SC nicely between the rear windscreen and the rear motorised sunshade of my 4GS.

I think plenty of dashcams fit between the rear motorised sunshade of the 4GS, but you must find out if the retailer has a return policy so you can quickly test and return if it does not fit.

I suspect the StreetGuardian SG9663DR dual remote lens should fit; the DR has only lens and sensor attached to the front and rear windscreens - the microprocessor, ROM & RAM main box, I place under the passenger’s seat to protect from sun damage.
https://streetguardian.info/sg9663dr/
Old 06-04-23, 04:41 PM
Amisdia
Driver

Originally Posted by peteharvey
I found that a StreetGuardian SG9665GC would not fit above the 4GS rear sunshade.
So I fitted a StreetGuardian SGZC12SC nicely between the rear windscreen and the rear motorised sunshade of my 4GS.

I think plenty of dashcams fit between the rear motorised sunshade of the 4GS, but you must find out if the retailer has a return policy so you can quickly test and return if it does not fit.

I suspect the StreetGuardian SG9663DR dual remote lens should fit; the DR has only lens and sensor attached to the front and rear windscreens - the microprocessor, ROM & RAM main box, I place under the passenger’s seat to protect from sun damage.
https://streetguardian.info/sg9663dr/
Got it... and where would you connect the power on a rear facing dashcam? Sorry if it's a stupid question, I've never had a dashcam before.
Old 06-04-23, 07:16 PM
Mangsailor
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts

I use a blackvue 750 series in mine. I also use a polarizing filter.

Just the camera will fit behind the sunshade, but if you use a polarizing lens you'll need to cut one leg off, otherwise the shade will pull it right off. I tried Teflon tape to keep the leg attached and make a sort of ramp for it to follow... and that'd just come unstuck and also let it pull it off.

If the camera is mounted all the way too the top of the rear glass, it would be fine.
Old 06-05-23, 10:02 AM
mrplesh
Pit Crew

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

I used a Rexing V1P with the included rear facing dash cam. The unit is small enough that went mounted to the top of the rear window, the shade would pass over it without interference.

For power/connection, I ran the very long USB cable for it along the headliner, and top of the door seals so it was completely hidden.
Old 06-05-23, 01:42 PM
Amisdia
Driver

Originally Posted by mrplesh
I used a Rexing V1P with the included rear facing dash cam. The unit is small enough that went mounted to the top of the rear window, the shade would pass over it without interference.

For power/connection, I ran the very long USB cable for it along the headliner, and top of the door seals so it was completely hidden.
I see. And you connected the power to the port in the front of the car?
Old 06-05-23, 04:05 PM
mrplesh
Pit Crew

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

I see. And you connected the power to the port in the front of the car?
Yes, it was time consuming but well worth the results. Even saved me when I got side swiped on the highway
Old 06-05-23, 08:42 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 457 Likes on 302 Posts

Got it... and where would you connect the power on a rear facing dashcam? Sorry if it's a stupid question, I've never had a dashcam before.
The easiest power connection is either to the front 12V cigarette lighter port inside the front central console arm rest, or the rear 12V cigarette port.

If you want to record while parking, then best to purchase a Cellink Neo Lion-FePO4 lithium ion iron phosphate battery pack stored in the glovebox, and plugged into the front center console armrest 12V cigarette port.

Cellink NEO Review — BlackboxMyCar
Amazon.com: Cellink NEO Battery Pack | Smart Power Bank for Dash Cams | Supplies up to 24 Hours (Dual Channel) and up to 45 Hours (Single Channel) of Parking Mode to Your Dashcam (Cigarette Output) : Electronics Amazon.com: Cellink NEO Battery Pack | Smart Power Bank for Dash Cams | Supplies up to 24 Hours (Dual Channel) and up to 45 Hours (Single Channel) of Parking Mode to Your Dashcam (Cigarette Output) : Electronics

The Lion Iron Phospate chemistry is less explosive than regular Lion battery packs like USB Lion battery packs.
Furthermore, the Cellink Neo has very long run time during car park recording.
Most importantly, the Cellink Neo does NOT compromise the vehicle's regular lead acid PbSO4 12V battery pack on starting the engine, because being stranded can be dangerous.

It is also possible to pick power from the rear view mirrors, but this is a trickier exercise, and requires a bit of electrical know how.

The dashcam can be hardwired to the motor vehicle's 12 V PbSO4, but car park recording durations are short and compromised, and worse, these setups rapidly age the vehicle's primary battery, leading to flat batteries on startups.
Old 06-11-23, 04:28 PM
Mangsailor
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts

For those curious about the blackVue:

Mounted:

Shade moving up over camera:

Shade fully up:

The following users liked this post:
derekmaps (06-13-23)