GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Help me choose: 2013 vs 2014 GS350! + extra questions!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-23, 10:19 PM
Amisdia
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Help me choose: 2013 vs 2014 GS350! + extra questions!

I'm stuck between these two! Both are at a similar price and have similar miles (80-90k). Any reliability issues for 2013 as it's the first MY of 4th gen?

2013 pros: Snappier 6 speed transmission
2014 pros: power trunk/mirrors, flush parking sensors, POSSIBLY better reliability

I LOVE being able to have a power trunk, and with normal driving the 8 speed in 2014 feels sooo smooth, maybe better than the 6 speed. But when driving aggressively I feel like the 6 speed downshifts quicker. Idk which one to choose.

Also, is 80-90k miles too much? I can't find any in my area that are less for a good price. I currently drive a 2015 Accord with 90k miles and it has been reliable. How does GS reliability/maintenance stack up compared to the Accord?

Sorry for asking so many questions, but this is a really big monetary investment for me so I want to make sure that I have all the information I need to make an educated decision!
Old 06-04-23, 01:10 PM
greys0uled
Advanced

Received 137 Likes on 107 Posts

2014 also has automatic cooled/heated seats. I chose '14 when looking for all the reasons mentioned.

Bought my GS with 103K back in Dec 2021, Now at 127K and not a single issue since ownership. 80-90k is nothing IMO for these cars.

Are you looking at base models or F Sports/Luxury? The latter have AVS.

Bless your purchase!
Old 06-04-23, 02:56 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,320 Likes on 1,051 Posts

All years the same reliably. If you are looking for a edge of handling and engine performance get the 13. If looking for some sport but a more Lexus ride go 14 - 20. All the 4th Gen GS years are nice, as long as you pick a good maintained good condition GS.

Two suggestions, first figure out what you really want of the differences so you don't look back and wish the unknown and you are missing something you would have wanted in packages and options. There are 3 models equipped. Base, F Sport, and Luxury. They did not have the factory power trunk option on the 13. The HUD and M/L system are nice to have options on the GS. Next do some search's here for differences. There are a Ton of details threads explaining everything and more you want to know. Many, many thread questions created also just like yours. Be aware that the F Sport owners complain and experience expensive front brake noise issues. Make sure you drive if you choose a F Sport to be sure it's not having front brake issues that you will end up owning the expense for as soon as you buy. Good luck on your buy.
Old 06-04-23, 04:37 PM
Amisdia
Driver

Thanks! I have some F Sports on my radar but hearing about the tire/brake cost on those, I think I'll pass. The normal GS350 with Premium Package drives really nicely still, and not having all the adaptive stuff means less things to break too
Old 06-04-23, 04:39 PM
Amisdia
Driver

Originally Posted by jgscott
All years the same reliably. If you are looking for a edge of handling and engine performance get the 13. If looking for some sport but a more Lexus ride go 14 - 20. All the 4th Gen GS years are nice, as long as you pick a good maintained good condition GS.

Two suggestions, first figure out what you really want of the differences so you don't look back and wish the unknown and you are missing something you would have wanted in packages and options. There are 3 models equipped. Base, F Sport, and Luxury. They did not have the factory power trunk option on the 13. The HUD and M/L system are nice to have options on the GS. Next do some search's here for differences. There are a Ton of details threads explaining everything and more you want to know. Many, many thread questions created also just like yours. Be aware that the F Sport owners complain and experience expensive front brake noise issues. Make sure you drive if you choose a F Sport to be sure it's not having front brake issues that you will end up owning the expense for as soon as you buy. Good luck on your buy.
I think I'm going to go with the base model (premium package). How does the 2013 handle better, did they rework the suspension for later models? I thought the transmission was the only difference in powertrain/suspension. Also, would you consider having 4 previous owners a red flag? Lots of used GS's I see have 3-4 owners, each keeping the car for 2-3 years.
Old 06-04-23, 06:35 PM
G35toGS350
Rookie

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Amisdia
Also, is 80-90k miles too much? I can't find any in my area that are less for a good price. I currently drive a 2015 Accord with 90k miles and it has been reliable. How does GS reliability/maintenance stack up compared to the Accord?

Sorry for asking so many questions, but this is a really big monetary investment for me so I want to make sure that I have all the information I need to make an educated decision!
As others have mentioned, a well-maintained car will be key towards reliability. It may be worthwhile to have a pre-purchase inspection so you can ascertain the condition of the car and what to expect for maintenance/repairs in the next 1-2 years. I also have an Accord (2017) with 50k miles and I concur to the reliability of that car and the generally inexpensive maintenance needs--I'm still rolling on OEM tires and brakes (but will likely need to have them replaced next year during the annual state inspection). Having said that, when buying a luxury brand, you should plan for luxury expenses. And that was the case when I had general maintenance done on an Infiniti that I had owned. Therefore, I'm pretty sure that an oil change, brake job, etc. would be slightly more expensive for a Lexus than a Honda.

Good luck in your search!
Old 06-04-23, 08:08 PM
Amisdia
Driver

Originally Posted by G35toGS350
As others have mentioned, a well-maintained car will be key towards reliability. It may be worthwhile to have a pre-purchase inspection so you can ascertain the condition of the car and what to expect for maintenance/repairs in the next 1-2 years. I also have an Accord (2017) with 50k miles and I concur to the reliability of that car and the generally inexpensive maintenance needs--I'm still rolling on OEM tires and brakes (but will likely need to have them replaced next year during the annual state inspection). Having said that, when buying a luxury brand, you should plan for luxury expenses. And that was the case when I had general maintenance done on an Infiniti that I had owned. Therefore, I'm pretty sure that an oil change, brake job, etc. would be slightly more expensive for a Lexus than a Honda.

Good luck in your search!
Yup I'm gonna get it inspected before I buy for sure! So far I've been eyeing a 2013 with 85k miles for $19,950, which seems to be a pretty good deal in this ****ty market. Hopefully I can negotiate it down to 18k before extra fees, as these GS's seem to sit on the dealer lots for a few months before getting sold at least in my area, and the dealer might be looking to get rid of it to free up space for other cars.
The following users liked this post:
G35toGS350 (06-05-23)
Old 06-05-23, 03:07 PM
Hues10
Advanced

Received 162 Likes on 125 Posts

Wow, not for anything but a frame of reference. I bought my 2013 GSH in May 2019 for $24k (OTD) after trading in a 2004 Saturn Vue with 175k miles. Good to know they have retained their value and are a rare sight in my parts of Florida. Did have to put a new battery in for approx. $450 (dealer) and the sunroof seal for $50. Other than that, not a dime spent on anything else except one oil change that I did myself. Though I sometimes only drive it to work once per week, so it is still new to me. Apples and Oranges to what you are looking at, but the Gas Mileage with the GSH is really good. Average 31 around town and up to 37 on Highway, as long as I am not putting it past 75. Good luck!
Old 06-06-23, 11:47 AM
songoku
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

I think Power Trunk is rare option for 2014. If you like the feature, get 2014.
Old 06-06-23, 01:29 PM
Amisdia
Driver

Originally Posted by songoku
I think Power Trunk is rare option for 2014. If you like the feature, get 2014.
All the 2014s I've seen have it. I really like that feature. Also test drove both 6 speed and 8 speed again, although the 6 speed is def quicker to downshift than the 8 speed, the 8 speed feels quite a lot smoother during normal city driving, while the 6 speed feels slightly jerkier. Maybe it's just me lol. The cleanest GS I've found is a 2013 model though, there are some others that I was looking at but they were bought by the dealer via a car auction, and I'm not sure if I can trust that since I've heard horror stories of cars from auctions bought by dealers.