GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Driver Wheel Fender rubbing with stock wheels/tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-23, 09:02 PM
DrunkFuX
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Driver Wheel Fender rubbing with stock wheels/tires

Hey guys, I have been having a problem for the past several months. My driver side/left side tire is rubbing against the wheel liner. I did search the forum and saw multiple threads about how when sizing up wheels causes this issue. Problem is, I never changed the wheels... Have always been stock, and this started randomly out of the blue. Initially i noticed it as a vibration throughout the cabin on certain turns, so took it to Lexus, they checked everything out and said everything looked good, no suspension probs etc. I did tell them I suspect maybe rubbing against the liner and they said enough clearance.
I tried the "duct tape" method some people have mentioned and indeed there is rubbing. Any idea why this may have started all a sudden? I know I can heat and bend the liner, but I shouldn't have to on stock. I'm more concerned there is some hardware problem Lexus wasn't able to diagnose.
Any input would be appreciated!
Old 06-08-23, 02:29 AM
PGA71
Advanced

Received 409 Likes on 234 Posts

My guess is a suspension issue even though dealer said it's fine.
You have AWD?
What size tires?

Can you post pics of the car? profile, front and back?

Last edited by PGA71; 06-08-23 at 02:34 AM.
Old 06-08-23, 04:03 AM
DrunkFuX
Rookie

Originally Posted by PGA71
You have AWD?
What size tires?

Yea is a 2018 AWD FSport. I believe the wheels are 19s. I'll double check later and take some pics as well later today ...
Old 06-08-23, 05:43 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Originally Posted by DrunkFuX
Yea is a 2018 AWD FSport. I believe the wheels are 19s. I'll double check later and take some pics as well later today ...
@DrunkFuX - You should be on 235/40R19 all around, both front and rear with AWD.

As you know, there shouldn't be any rubbing anywhere with a stock wheel and tire setup. Are you sure the wheel liner hasn't become unfastened where it dropped/moved closer to the tire?
The following 2 users liked this post by bclexus:
G35toGS350 (06-08-23), MX73 (06-08-23)
Old 06-08-23, 02:19 PM
DrunkFuX
Rookie

You have AWD?
What size tires?

This is the problem wheel, front left.

Rear left which is fine

Front tire with steering turned to point of closest contact

Steering turned completely to the right showing duct tape wear from contact.

The other strange thing here is, looking at these one would expect the rubbing to occur more when turning completely to the right, however the rubbing it worse when turning left!

Originally Posted by bclexus
@DrunkFuX - You should be on 235/40R19 all around, both front and rear with AWD.

As you know, there shouldn't be any rubbing anywhere with a stock wheel and tire setup. Are you sure the wheel liner hasn't become unfastened where it dropped/moved closer to the tire?
Tires were changed about a year ago but Lexus, and they are to spec as you wrote. I haven't noticed any missing clips or major play in the liner. When the car is at rest and looking at the clearance in a straight line, it looks ok, but when turning the steering, seems extremely close, however when the car is in motion, not sure if there is any play which further closes those gaps. I have raised the car and don't the wheel wobble check and nothing obvious.
Old 06-08-23, 04:17 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

It's got a healthy wheel gap. Buy it used? Any signs of any modifications of any type?

Last edited by bclexus; 06-08-23 at 07:40 PM. Reason: orthography
Old 06-08-23, 05:24 PM
PGA71
Advanced

Received 409 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by DrunkFuX

This is the problem wheel, front left.

Rear left which is fine

Front tire with steering turned to point of closest contact

Steering turned completely to the right showing duct tape wear from contact.

The other strange thing here is, looking at these one would expect the rubbing to occur more when turning completely to the right, however the rubbing it worse when turning left!

Tires were changed about a year ago but Lexus, and they are to spec as you wrote. I haven't noticed any missing clips or major play in the liner. When the car is at rest and looking at the clearance in a straight line, it looks ok, but when turning the steering, seems extremely close, however when the car is in motion, not sure if there is any play which further closes those gaps. I have raised the car and don't the wheel wobble check and nothing obvious.
The gap looks perfectly fine for an AWD model at rest.
I would bring it to another Lexus dealer and show them the tape and have them drive it.
Feel there is something off with suspension.
You can have the fender rolled, but that would not address the root cause.
Good luck.
Old 06-08-23, 06:08 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,157 Likes on 854 Posts

If you don't have any driveability/suspension problems other than this, then my first thought would be to take it to a good body shop to see if they can identify if the car was damaged or had any front-end work done on the driver side. On my '13, i've replaced my fog light and have opened up that very liner to get to the bulb...those fender liners are very stiff and difficult to work with.

On stock suspension and stock 19" wheels with 235/40 tires, there should be loads of clearance. The shop you take it to should put it on a lift and compare to the right side which has no rubbing. That fender liner could potentially be "pushed" back too far or just misaligned somehow.

Last edited by AJLex19; 06-08-23 at 06:12 PM.
Old 06-08-23, 07:23 PM
DrunkFuX
Rookie

Originally Posted by bclexus
Is your GS 350 AWD? It's got a healthy wheel gap! Buy it used? Any signs of any modifications of any type?
It is an AWD... Bought it at about 24k miles... Problem started around 37k miles... No signs of any modifications.

The gap looks perfectly fine for an AWD model at rest.
I would bring it to another Lexus dealer and show them the tape and have them drive it.
Feel there is something off with suspension.
You can have the fender rolled, but that would not address the root cause.
Good luck.
Yea I may take it back to the first dealer, but don't want to keep paying the diagnosis fees. The other Lexus dealership in my area is a sister branch to the one I took it to. I agree, I feel it's a suspension issue.

Originally Posted by AJLex19
If you don't have any driveability/suspension problems other than this, then my first thought would be to take it to a good body shop to see if they can identify if the car was damaged or had any front-end work done on the driver side. On my '13, i've replaced my fog light and have opened up that very liner to get to the bulb...those fender liners are very stiff and difficult to work with.

On stock suspension and stock 19" wheels with 235/40 tires, there should be loads of clearance. The shop you take it to should put it on a lift and compare to the right side which has no rubbing. That fender liner could potentially be "pushed" back too far or just misaligned somehow.
I'm pretty sure there is no damage history, as mentioned above, I'd been driving it for about 12k miles before the issue started... And I certainly didn't hit it other than the standard pothole occasionally.
Old 06-08-23, 07:38 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

After thinking about this a while I've decided that if it was mine I'd accept the fact that turning right to maximum may produce a slight contact of the tire tread to the wheel liner. I personally could live with that because I typically refrain from turning that sharply simply because I envision (visualize) the tire scrubbing against the pavement, which I don't like to happen - so I don't go that far.

If it bugs you to the point of just having to do something - anything - to remedy the tire contact with the liner I'd suggest a propane torch to heat-up the thick plastic wheel liner so it can be deformed and pushed back 3/8" or so. Or, give it 10,000 miles to wear down the tread a little and the problem is solved naturally!
Old 06-09-23, 03:44 AM
Intermediate

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

Agreed. Just use a heat gun and give yourself some extra tolerence.
The following users liked this post:
bclexus (06-09-23)
Old 06-09-23, 07:37 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

@DrunkFuX - Here's the explanation for why your tire scrubs the plastic wheel liner when turning sharply. Simply put, when you turn the steering wheel sharply the car's wheel camber is designed to tilt the wheel/tire. This actually makes the tire effectively become taller as measured from the wheel's centerline or hub, which in-turn effectively makes the tire larger in diameter. This condition takes place because the tire has significant width. Contrarily, if the tire had no width at all and instead was just a pencil-thin line with no width its height or diameter would not effectively change at all as measured from its centerline when the steering wheel is turned sharply. I hope this makes sense.

The image below will hopefully provide help to understand how the tire's height (h) - also known as 'diameter' is affected/changed by turning sharply. By design the car's steering/suspension geometry provides definite camber angle or tilt when turning, and this action in essence is what makes the tire's height or diameter from its centerline greater (larger) due to its width factor compared to what it is when steering is not turned and thus the wheel/tire is not tilted.

Last edited by bclexus; 06-09-23 at 08:19 AM. Reason: orthography
Old 06-10-23, 06:43 PM
4GS350
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

May want to check your front lower arm bush to see if it's shot.
Old 06-11-23, 05:44 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 4GS350
May want to check your front lower arm bush to see if it's shot.
I rather doubt it with the car being a 2018.