GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2014 GS350 gas pedal feels like there is a button underneath it

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-23, 10:55 AM
Amisdia
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2014 GS350 gas pedal feels like there is a button underneath it

Test drove a 2014 GS with 93k miles, talked down to $17k before dealer fees (not gonna buy it just yet though until I get it checked out, so the deal isn't final and I can back out whenever I want to). When I floored the car, it felt like there were 2 stops to the gas pedal, like there was a button underneath that got pressed when the pedal was 3/4 the way down. None of the other Gs's I drove had this feeling. Is this something to be worried about? I feel like I got a pretty good deal, and I might be able to talk the dealer down a little bit more as well, but I'm concerned about this gas pedal issue. Everything else on the car works flawlessly.
Old 06-10-23, 11:25 AM
Longevite1
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts

Is it happen only for the first time you floor it?
Old 06-10-23, 11:34 AM
Amisdia
Driver

Originally Posted by Longevite1
Is it happen only for the first time you floor it?
no, every time. Maybe the floor mat is stuck under the pedal or something?
Old 06-10-23, 11:49 AM
Longevite1
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Amisdia
no, every time. Maybe the floor mat is stuck under the pedal or something?
Then something wrong with it, ask them to fix it first.
Old 06-10-23, 12:05 PM
GSJ350
Pit Crew

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Totally normal as my 2015 has this same detent switch under the pedal. From what i understand, along with my own experience, is that when you floor it and fully depress the switch it really awakens the beast within. Depending at what RPM and MPH you're at, it will accelerate to its full capacity by downshifting to the lowest gear it can along with using all 12 injectors 100% (Port Injection and Direct injection). I very rarely ever go full throttle, but when i do she really shows the power of the toyota 3.5L engine. Its also a good practice every now and then to give your car the "Italian Tune-up" treatment. This means full throttle your car for 3-5 seconds to blow out any carbon buildup that might be accumulating on the inner runners of the intake manifold and on top of the intake valves... More of a problem in engines that dont have direct injection. Watch your rear view mirror and you will see black smoke (carbon buildup) bellowing out the exhaust, to which you will notice a smoother idle when at a stop as well. Sorry for the long post on such a short answer... But i feel like its something people should know and try if your noticing any kind of ruff idle or sluggish acceleration 👍🏻. Always run the highest octane you can if in a hotter climate, as in the winter time you can get away with lower octane fuel.
Old 06-10-23, 12:06 PM
Amisdia
Driver

Originally Posted by GSJ350
Totally normal as my 2015 has this same detent switch under the pedal. From what i understand, along with my own experience, is that when you floor it and fully depress the switch it really awakens the beast within. Depending at what RPM and MPH you're at, it will accelerate to its full capacity by downshifting to the lowest gear it can along with using all 12 injectors 100% (Port Injection and Direct injection). I very rarely ever go full throttle, but when i do she really shows the power of the toyota 3.5L engine. Its also a good practice every now and then to give your car the "Italian Tune-up" treatment. This means full throttle your car for 3-5 seconds to blow out any carbon buildup that might be accumulating on the inner runners of the intake manifold and on top of the intake valves... More of a problem in engines that dont have direct injection. Watch your rear view mirror and you will see black smoke (carbon buildup) bellowing out the exhaust, to which you will notice a smoother idle when at a stop as well. Sorry for the long post on such a short answer... But i feel like its something people should know and try if your noticing and ruff idle or sluggish acceleration 👍🏻. Always run the highest octane you can if in a hotter climate, as in the winter time you can get away with lower octane fuel.
So does it feel like there's a "button" when you floor it? I didn't feel it on any other other 5-6 cars I tested, only this one.
Old 06-10-23, 12:31 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,495 Posts

@Amisdia - Lexus GS 350 with 6-speed transmissions do not have the detent (kickdown) under the gas pedal. The GS 350 with 8-speed transmissions do have it.

There's nothing wrong with a GS 350 with 8-speed transmission that has a detent...

The detent has no direct control of the engine's fuel injectors, as that is controlled by the ECU.

Hope that helps explain it..
Old 06-10-23, 03:50 PM
Amisdia
Driver

Originally Posted by bclexus
@Amisdia - Lexus GS 350 with 6-speed transmissions do not have the detent (kickdown) under the gas pedal. The GS 350 with 8-speed transmissions do have it.

There's nothing wrong with a GS 350 with 8-speed transmission that has a detent...

The detent has no direct control of the engine's fuel injectors, as that is controlled by the ECU.

Hope that helps explain it..
I see. I drove a 2015 right after and I didn't feel like it had it, but maybe I didn't press the pedal all the way down.
Old 06-10-23, 06:05 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I see. I drove a 2015 right after and I didn't feel like it had it, but maybe I didn't press the pedal all the way down.
Yeah, maybe you didn't press the pedal all the way down. Or, if the 2015 GS 350 was an AWD model it won't have it because all AWDs have 6-speed transmissions.
Old 06-10-23, 06:16 PM
Amisdia
Driver

Originally Posted by bclexus
Yeah, maybe you didn't press the pedal all the way down. Or, if the 2015 GS 350 was an AWD model it won't have it because all AWDs have 6-speed transmissions.
Nah they were all RWD's. I could have sworn I floored it in the 2015. Maybe it needed to go down even more lol
Old 06-10-23, 07:28 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Nah they were all RWD's. I could have sworn I floored it in the 2015. Maybe it needed to go down even more lol
A cold transmission not up to typical operating temperature will not shift like it will after reaching typical operating temperature. It will hold gears longer and may tend to hunt more often too, and might negate or disallow the kickdown switch operation.