GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Is this CarFax good? There don't seem to be many oil changes done, why is that?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-23, 09:42 PM
EAST
Intermediate

Received 176 Likes on 133 Posts

Pic 31 of 34 shows a shot of the dashboard with the error (the yellow triangle stuck out).

Looked at one of the sticky threads, the wood steering wheel suggests that is a Luxury package. That might explain the S+.
Old 06-12-23, 09:45 PM
Amisdia
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by EAST
Pic 31 of 34 shows a shot of the dashboard with the error (the yellow triangle stuck out).

Looked at one of the sticky threads, the wood steering wheel suggests that is a Luxury package. That might explain the S+.
I see. Looks like a luxury package with the regular rims on it. It says "accident reported" but it doesn't specify if it's just minor or not. Man, shopping for a used car is such a PITA!
Old 06-12-23, 09:50 PM
EAST
Intermediate

Received 176 Likes on 133 Posts

It also has a TPMS light though without plugging in a code reader, it'd be hard to tell which tire it is.

And yes, it takes time. Take a look as well. I only set 100 mile radius. See if there's something just outside that might pique your interest.

Regarding your first one, I always feel uneasy at places that can't even take decent clear pictures. Like if they can't do that right... But that's just me.
Old 06-12-23, 09:59 PM
Amisdia
Driver

Originally Posted by EAST
It also has a TPMS light though without plugging in a code reader, it'd be hard to tell which tire it is.

And yes, it takes time. Take a look as well. I only set 100 mile radius. See if there's something just outside that might pique your interest.

Regarding your first one, I always feel uneasy at places that can't even take decent clear pictures. Like if they can't do that right... But that's just me.
By the first one you mean the brown one I initially asked about the carfax report? Ngl the pictures seem pretty clear to me lol. But yeah I've been searching for a couple of months already and just can't seem to find one that ticks all the boxes (regular maintenance, less owners, no accidents, good price).
Old 06-12-23, 11:10 PM
pd7702
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
I'd wager the four previous owners of that GS 350 got the engine oil and filter changed right on schedule by a nearby oil change service station for which there are literally tens of thousands located all around the U.S. Most everyone has half a dozen or more of these oil change stations within five miles of where they live or work which makes it easy and convenient for them to get an oil change when it's needed instead of going to a Lexus dealer's service center. To think otherwise - simply because oil changes are not listed for the VIN by a Lexus dealer is unreasonable and ludicrous - about as outlandish as suggesting someone probably doesn't flush their toilet but only once a month. Why guess negatively? Those four previous owners likely took better care of that GS 350 than the average owner does...
It's always better to err on the side of paranoia when shopping for used cars. If you get lucky you get a good, reliable car that runs and drives perfectly with no issues (like mine!). Get unlucky and those problems could ultimately end up in your lap. Best to skew the odds in your favor. It's not like the GS350 is some rare one off car, given the choice, I'd take the one with an established and regular service history (assuming of course all the other stuff is in good condition). Bonus points if it's a thorough Lexus dealership service history, they keep the best service notes.
Old 06-12-23, 11:12 PM
gs350noob
Intermediate

Received 141 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
I'd wager the four previous owners of that GS 350 got the engine oil and filter changed right on schedule by a nearby oil change service station for which there are literally tens of thousands located all around the U.S. Most everyone has half a dozen or more of these oil change stations within five miles of where they live or work which makes it easy and convenient for them to get an oil change when it's needed instead of going to a Lexus dealer's service center. To think otherwise - simply because oil changes are not listed for the VIN by a Lexus dealer is unreasonable and ludicrous - about as outlandish as suggesting someone probably doesn't flush their toilet but only once a month. Why guess negatively? Those four previous owners likely took better care of that GS 350 than the average owner does...
Your ability to disagree with people is remarkable. But you almost always make a compelling argument which makes it interesting. A true contrarian.
The following users liked this post:
bclexus (06-13-23)
Old 06-13-23, 12:43 AM
PGA71
Advanced

Received 409 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Amisdia
By the first one you mean the brown one I initially asked about the carfax report? Ngl the pictures seem pretty clear to me lol. But yeah I've been searching for a couple of months already and just can't seem to find one that ticks all the boxes (regular maintenance, less owners, no accidents, good price).
Maybe PM CLer @GS350Boi .
He recently told me he is selling his GS350 LUX with only 50K mi on it and has only been serviced at Lexus dealership.

Old 06-13-23, 05:12 AM
Amisdia
Driver

Originally Posted by pd7702
It's always better to err on the side of paranoia when shopping for used cars. If you get lucky you get a good, reliable car that runs and drives perfectly with no issues (like mine!). Get unlucky and those problems could ultimately end up in your lap. Best to skew the odds in your favor. It's not like the GS350 is some rare one off car, given the choice, I'd take the one with an established and regular service history (assuming of course all the other stuff is in good condition). Bonus points if it's a thorough Lexus dealership service history, they keep the best service notes.
What would you say if I got it checked out by a mechanic and there was no oil slushing or any other problems with the engine? Would it still be worth going for despite having a spotty service record?
Old 06-13-23, 05:54 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
Yes this may or may not be true.

Personally I don't want to risk a wager on a choice when buying a used car myself. The local oil changes station do show on the Carfax's most times also. Notice they liked Pep Boy's but, 14k no verification? So they did a change between 28k and 42k? Then at 54k back to Pep Boys again? Again I'll pass on wagering for one that has for sure better documented changes personally.

Pep Boys
05/24/2017 28,000

Pep Boys
04/18/2018 42,516
No one knows for sure because records are lacking, but it would not surprise me if the oil and filter was changed at something like this mileage point:
10k by Lexus dealer
18k by 3rd party
28k by Pep Boys w/ purchase of tires
36k by 3rd party
43k by Pep Boys w/ purchase of Battery

Are we to assume because there is no record of oil/filter change at various mileage points that the owners [also] never replaced the brakes, tires or battery?

I think way too much is being made about the lack of records. It's a pre-owned car for crying out loud!

A little investigative research by looking at the tires, the oil filter, the brake pads and the battery would likely spell out where and (about when) the owners of this car had it serviced.

If the car looked like it had been taken good care of I'd probably have an independent garage/shop take a look at it to see what might be learned from the brand of the oil filter, brake pads and battery to get some insight into the car's service record.
Old 06-13-23, 06:33 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gs350noob
Your ability to disagree with people is remarkable. But you almost always make a compelling argument which makes it interesting. A true contrarian.
Thank you! Debate competition helps as you must be able to take either side in a match. Experience of counselling clients in deals helps too...
Old 06-13-23, 07:00 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I'd say this vehicle he's interested in has received good care and service:

08/22/2014
9,757 Miles
Lexus of Huntsville, AL
Vehicle serviced
10,000 mile service performed

04/18/2018
42,516 Miles
Pep Boys - Huntsville, AL
  • Maintenance inspection completed
    • Oil and filter changed

07/10/2018
45,943 Miles
Lexus of Huntsville, AL

Battery charged

08/18/2018
47,663 Miles
  •  
    • Alignment performed
    • A/C system checked
    • Tire pressure monitoring system serviced
    • Tire(s) mounted
    • Tire(s) balanced

11/21/2018
50,886 Miles
Lexus of Huntsville, AL

Battery replaced

06/13/2019
54,121 Miles
    • Oil and filter changed

Last edited by bclexus; 06-13-23 at 10:16 AM.
Old 06-13-23, 07:12 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

@Amisdia - Offer $17,500 - For your 'one, only and final' offer - and see what happens...

Last edited by bclexus; 06-13-23 at 07:26 AM. Reason: orthography
Old 06-13-23, 07:24 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

This 2014 GS 350 the OP is interested in had a Lexus dealership install a new Lexus replacement battery and the brake fluid has even been flushed/replaced. This car has probably been taken better care of than ¾ of GS 350s that are years younger with ½ the mileage.

Last edited by bclexus; 06-13-23 at 07:34 AM. Reason: orthography
Old 06-13-23, 08:09 AM
pd7702
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Amisdia
What would you say if I got it checked out by a mechanic and there was no oil slushing or any other problems with the engine? Would it still be worth going for despite having a spotty service record?
That's really the best way to be sure. Get a very thorough check up with a mechanic.

Any reason you're set on this one? It's not a particularly high trim level though the paint color is pretty rare. I would probably go after a Lux/F-Sport with the Mark Levinson given the option.
Old 06-13-23, 08:40 AM
websurfer
Racer

Received 318 Likes on 248 Posts

My Lexus dealer doesn't share any data with Carfax also. Frustrating at times but it's the lexus site if they want to research the maintenance. Pre-purchase inspection is best for any used purchases.

Quick Reply: Is this CarFax good? There don't seem to be many oil changes done, why is that?