GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Funny smell after full throttle

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-23 | 12:01 PM
Reesh510
Rookie

Default Funny smell after full throttle

Wondering if anyone has experienced a funny smell after doing full throttle while driving. Smell coming through the vents. No signs of oil leak and only does this when you go full throttle.

With my Mercedes CLS55 which is supercharged and modded, that smell is understandable.

Would this have anything to do with PVC? My car just hit 90k.
Old 06-15-23 | 04:42 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

The question is what does it smell like?
Old 06-15-23 | 08:26 PM
Reesh510
Rookie

I would say almost like burnt oil but not exactly. The car has no leaks and is stock.

I only have noticed this smell on full throttle.
Old 06-16-23 | 12:17 AM
pd7702
Pit Crew

Try turning your AC compressor on and off, is it that same smell?

I think this car temporarily turns off the AC compressor at wide open throttle to maximize engine power.
The following 2 users liked this post by pd7702:
bclexus (06-16-23), NJLEXES (06-16-23)
Old 06-16-23 | 05:27 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Originally Posted by Reesh510
I would say almost like burnt oil but not exactly. The car has no leaks and is stock.

I only have noticed this smell on full throttle.
It may be seeping a small amount of oil, too slow to drip and only the excessive heat of a full throttle blast generates enough heat to burn it. It could even be from an oil change where it wasn't cleaned well enough from any drips from the fill or the oil filter/oil plug on the bottom.
Old 06-16-23 | 05:43 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by pd7702
Try turning your AC compressor on and off, is it that same smell?

I think this car temporarily turns off the AC compressor at wide open throttle to maximize engine power.
And when it does, it often comes with a blast of humid, foul smelling air.

The fix for this is one of two choices - (1) overlook the foul smell or (2) refrain from going WOT!
Old 06-16-23 | 06:10 AM
marjenmill
Intermediate

Wondering if anyone has experienced a funny smell after doing full throttle while driving. Smell coming through the vents. No signs of oil leak and only does this when you go full throttle.

With my Mercedes CLS55 which is supercharged and modded, that smell is understandable.

Would this have anything to do with PVC? My car just hit 90k.
That smell might be your own excitement recirculating through the car (HAHA). Like others said, your AC is turning off and then you're getting outside air through your system. Have you changed your cabin air filter recently?
Old 06-16-23 | 07:01 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

If it's a oil smell then in time it should go away. I would open the hood look under also and sniff around. If it's a overspill from a oil change it should burn off and go away. I would also look at the PVC to see if it possibly needs replacing, and/or if it's too much oil being pushed out of the crankcase and back into the TB burning off.
Old 06-16-23 | 08:32 AM
NJLEXES
Intermediate

Any smoke out the exhaust you can see when going WOT ?
Old 06-16-23 | 11:07 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Originally Posted by NJLEXES
Any smoke out the exhaust you can see when going WOT ?
It would be bluish if it was oil. White is usually water and black or grey is rich fuel, brown/red is rust being blown out the pipes. Also, if it is oil, there will be residue on the tailpipes. Black sooty reside is rich fuel.

If my car hasn't been above 4000 RPM for a while, the next time I approach redline there will be a black cloud behind me.
Old 06-17-23 | 03:08 AM
Intermediate

Good old Italian tune up .

Before your next oil change, put an additive / cleaner in your gas tank & drive the car hard.

It cleans your system of carbon deposits , but make sure to do an oil change right after .

The problem will go away.

Last edited by 909; 06-17-23 at 03:11 AM.
Old 06-17-23 | 05:53 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Smell coming through the vents. No signs of oil leak and only does this when you go full throttle.
Guys - Unless he has his exhaust re-routed into his HVAC he has no need to be concerned with the exhaust.

Again, it is common at WOT for most vehicles to turn off the A/C compressor which usually comes with a blast of humid, musty foul smelling air.

This m
usty, wet stench smell when the A/C compressor is turned off is likely linked to some mold or mildew in the air ducts or on the evaporator coil.

What he smells has absolutely nothing to do with the exhaust, fuel, carbon buildup, or anything whatsoever to do with his engine.

Last edited by bclexus; 06-17-23 at 06:27 AM. Reason: orthography
Old 06-17-23 | 09:05 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

The best thing to do is get in a shop. Look under the hood, and up on a lift look for oil, and/or exhaust blow by. There were a few ppl who had a rotted out exhaust manifold to rear exhaust section at the gasket problem. It is possible that if it was there directly under the car, it could come up and smell in the car. The exterior a/c vents are right below the outside of the front windshield. The op does say it's a oil smell so I agree with b/c about not exhaust.

Hard to determine this over the internet. Again best to get it checked out in a shop with a lift.
Old 06-18-23 | 12:00 AM
Reesh510
Rookie

Thanks fellow forum members for all the suggestions. I looked under the hood and under the car to see any signs of any oil leak, none noticed. It could be very well from the AC, because during these occurrences the AC was on. I do know that after running the AC it’s a good idea to run the air with the AC off to rid of the smell.

I’ll keep observing, figured I would post on here to see if any fellow forum members may know.

grateful for all the replies.
Old 06-18-23 | 05:48 AM
stvincent
Racer

Not sure if you can relate, but sulfur smell coming through vents during WOT was a common issue with the IS-F.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ot-solved.html
The following users liked this post:
Reesh510 (06-19-23)

Quick Reply: Funny smell after full throttle