GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Fsport brake kit upgrade on base model?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-23, 07:57 AM
mazstar
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fsport brake kit upgrade on base model?

I have a non-Fsport GS350 Sports Luxury 2016 and wondering if the braking performance on F is much better than base?

what parts are needed? I am assuming it would rotors, pads, and new calipers.

Is it possible to simply replace my rotors, pads and calipers or do I need new hubs and knuckles as well?

Has anyone upgraded their base brakes to Fsports?

tia
Old 06-20-23, 03:09 PM
Longevite1
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by mazstar
I have a non-Fsport GS350 Sports Luxury 2016 and wondering if the braking performance on F is much better than base?

Is it possible to simply replace my rotors, pads and calipers or do I need new hubs and knuckles as well?

tia
The thickness of the F-Sport rotor is different and not sure you can get after market for it, and the OEM rotors are expensive, stay with your original set.
Old 06-21-23, 10:31 AM
MX73
Racer

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

You'll probably need more than rotors, pads and calipers. You'll need the dust shield, caliper brackets and maybe new lines if the original can't reach.
IMO, you would be better off with better pads and rotors.
Old 06-21-23, 02:07 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,354 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I think I remember threads here where the Base/Lux to F Sport front rotors and pads were plug and play fit. There were already a few who have done it.

Now the GS F upgrade does require wheels that clear and dust shied mods, but I think there was 2-3 threads of those who just changed the Calipers Pads and Rotors from Base/Lux to F Sport and they just fit right on with the same lines, bolts and dust shied.
Old 06-21-23, 03:13 PM
Longevite1
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
I think I remember threads here where the Base/Lux to F Sport front rotors and pads were plug and play fit. There were already a few who have done it.
Are we talking about the RWD version or AWD version of the F-Sport?
Old 06-21-23, 06:17 PM
mazstar
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Longevite1
Are we talking about the RWD version or AWD version of the F-Sport?
RWD

I want something that is not going to squeal or make too much noise - it seems like so many aftermarkets have noise issues.
Old 06-22-23, 01:20 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by mazstar

tia
Just change your pads to grippier ones, Your not gaining much stopping power changing the front rotor and pads to f-sport. It’s a waste of money.
The following 2 users liked this post by peasodos:
4GS350 (06-22-23), MX73 (06-22-23)
Old 06-22-23, 07:41 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 221 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
Just change your pads to grippier ones, Your not gaining much stopping power changing the front rotor and pads to f-sport. It’s a waste of money.
As someone who is in need of higher performance pads that will not overheat at the first sign of an offramp, do you have any suggestions (anything but Hawk, I have tried them on three different cars and hated the bite and feel)?

I do not care at all about dust, I just want pads that will not overheat and judder when I am heavy on the brakes, especially in the rear. I am on my second set of OEM pads and they are just not cutting it.
Old 06-22-23, 09:06 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by panyo64
As someone who is in need of higher performance pads that will not overheat at the first sign of an offramp, do you have any suggestions (anything but Hawk, I have tried them on three different cars and hated the bite and feel)?

I do not care at all about dust, I just want pads that will not overheat and judder when I am heavy on the brakes, especially in the rear. I am on my second set of OEM pads and they are just not cutting it.
I ran these. They have a def difference in performance and are very good. My friend ran them on his 16 F Sport and said the same. They do put out more dust.

https://akebonobrakes.com/performance-vehicles
Old 06-22-23, 10:27 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

I ran these. They have a def difference in performance and are very good. My friend ran them on his 16 F Sport and said the same. They do put out more dust.

https://akebonobrakes.com/performance-vehicles
Based on the website, the Performance pads are only available for the front, not the rear, and it does not specify the difference between AWD and RWD F-Sport. Unfortunately, it is the rear single piston sliders where I am having the majority of my issues.

Last edited by GrandSedanFan; 06-22-23 at 10:41 AM.
Old 06-22-23, 11:04 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Based on the website, the Performance pads are only available for the front, not the rear, and it does not specify the difference between AWD and RWD F-Sport. Unfortunately, it is the rear single piston sliders where I am having the majority of my issues.
Yes but I was just sharing that these front pads def do improve braking over stock. You can feel and tell the difference. Have you upgraded your brake lines?

I have a set of F Sport New Stop Tech drilled rotors. I had them sent out and Cyro treated. I also have the upgraded Stop Tech lines. I plan to install the new F Sport bigger Cryo treated drilled rotors, with the Akebono Performance pads F&R, and have S/T Drilled rotors on the rear also with the Upgraded lines. I maybe one day will swap all out to the GS F brakes, but at this point I don't see the need. The GS F stuff is def on my bucket list though.

Last edited by jgscott; 06-22-23 at 11:11 AM.
Old 06-22-23, 12:19 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Yes but I was just sharing that these front pads def do improve braking over stock. You can feel and tell the difference. Have you upgraded your brake lines?

I have a set of F Sport New Stop Tech drilled rotors. I had them sent out and Cyro treated. I also have the upgraded Stop Tech lines. I plan to install the new F Sport bigger Cryo treated drilled rotors, with the Akebono Performance pads F&R, and have S/T Drilled rotors on the rear also with the Upgraded lines. I maybe one day will swap all out to the GS F brakes, but at this point I don't see the need. The GS F stuff is def on my bucket list though.
Unfortunately, it appears that the AWD front knuckles are different enough from the RWD/-F front knuckles that neither the RWD F-Sport nor the GS-F brakes will bolt on, and as of right now, nobody makes an adapter. I did factory pads and rotors at about 30,000, now at 47,000.

Next time around, I am planning on doing StopTech slotted rotors and a higher performance pad, something with factory like bite but higher heat tolerance as to not unevenly deposit all over the rotors.

Were the Akebono Performance Pads for the rear discontinued?
Old 06-22-23, 01:18 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Unfortunately, it appears that the AWD front knuckles are different enough from the RWD/-F front knuckles that neither the RWD F-Sport nor the GS-F brakes will bolt on, and as of right now, nobody makes an adapter. I did factory pads and rotors at about 30,000, now at 47,000.

Next time around, I am planning on doing StopTech slotted rotors and a higher performance pad, something with factory like bite but higher heat tolerance as to not unevenly deposit all over the rotors.

Were the Akebono Performance Pads for the rear discontinued?
I do not see where there was ever a rear pad part.

The other thing I was going to look at was trying to get some air cooling ducking to the front pads and rotors. The GS F uses this to cool the brakes. I was going to try to make some kind of DYI air ducts to the pads and rotors. Its works to help.

https://www.lexus.com.bh/gs-f-2016-p...-brake-cooling