GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Clicking in the rear, CV Axle?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-23, 08:23 PM
tekno2566
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clicking in the rear, CV Axle?

So… I’ve been dealing with vibration issues for a couple of months now. I got new tires and balanced it 4 times at discount tires, changed out the rear steering tie rod, and installed new rear upper control arm since the car is on coilovers.

Vibration still exists, so I decided to jack the rear up today and rotate the wheels only to hear click noises. The only thing that came to my mind is the CV axle. I’d like to note that the rubber boots are not damaged nor is it slinging grease anywhere either. The noise is not audible at all while driving, I just happened to hear it when it was in the air.

I remove the 32mm (I think) nut that holds the hub to the axle, use a slide hammer to try and get the hub off the spindle but it won’t budge.

Next, I removed the 4 Allen bolts behind the hub and tried the slide hammer again, but to no avail.

I need some help on other suggestions on how to get the hub off the spindle.

Lastly, does anyone know of any DIY on how to replace the cv axle? I’ve tried searching endlessly, but couldn’t find one.

Reference: 2013 fsport RWD w/145k miles

Thank you!

Last edited by tekno2566; 06-20-23 at 08:32 PM.
Old 06-21-23, 04:30 AM
Longevite1
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts

Did you try Road Force Ballance?
A lot of time the vibration is come from tires or wheels.
The following users liked this post:
bclexus (06-21-23)
Old 06-21-23, 08:33 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,177 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Originally Posted by tekno2566
So… I’ve been dealing with vibration issues for a couple of months now. I got new tires and balanced it 4 times at discount tires, changed out the rear steering tie rod, and installed new rear upper control arm since the car is on coilovers.

Vibration still exists, so I decided to jack the rear up today and rotate the wheels only to hear click noises. The only thing that came to my mind is the CV axle. I’d like to note that the rubber boots are not damaged nor is it slinging grease anywhere either. The noise is not audible at all while driving, I just happened to hear it when it was in the air.

I remove the 32mm (I think) nut that holds the hub to the axle, use a slide hammer to try and get the hub off the spindle but it won’t budge.

Next, I removed the 4 Allen bolts behind the hub and tried the slide hammer again, but to no avail.

I need some help on other suggestions on how to get the hub off the spindle.

Lastly, does anyone know of any DIY on how to replace the cv axle? I’ve tried searching endlessly, but couldn’t find one.

Reference: 2013 fsport RWD w/145k miles

Thank you!
@tekno2566 - I think your problem is associated with your coilovers and that your car is lowered. Anytime you change the ride height by lowering it the CV joints become out of their normal or engineered/designed alignment. Sometimes you may hear a grating or grinding sound due to this, more prevalent when turning. This condition will cause permanent damage over time if not corrected. The misalignment can, and often does cause a vibration which I think may be your problem.

To see if this is your problem, raise your car's ride height by about ½" in each of two or three trial test segments to see if the vibration goes away. If your car has been lowered for the majority of its 145k clocked miles it may have clearly already received some degree of permanent damage, but raising the car's ride height might still help totally eliminate your vibration problem. If my belief is accurate you'll have to decide just how important it is to you to have a lowered ride height that
propagates a menacing vibration that is obviously driving you a bit crazy. Let us know your findings...
Old 06-22-23, 01:25 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,354 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I would bet you have bent rims. Go to a pro wheel place that can check with Runout gauge for a bent rim or 2-4. Most times 99% is a bent rim. Most regular tire shops won't be able to pick up a bent rim and will just balance to the bent rim. Needs to be spun and checked with a precision gauge.
Old 06-22-23, 01:43 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,177 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
I would bet you have bent rims. Go to a pro wheel place that can check with Runout gauge for a bent rim or 2-4. Most times 99% is a bent rim. Most regular tire shops won't be able to pick up a bent rim and will just balance to the bent rim. Needs to be spun and checked with a precision gauge.
I presume you are addressing the vibration problem alone - and not the combination of clicking noise from a suspected CV problem along with the vibration problem.
Old 06-22-23, 02:22 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,354 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
I presume you are addressing the vibration problem alone - and not the combination of clicking noise from a suspected CV problem along with the vibration problem.
Yes. Vibration only. I don't connect the wheel click to the vibration? Best thing to do is start with what impact to can feel driving. Which is the vibration. A wheel click could also be coming from brake mech. Is what I would.