GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Is there a trusted brake pad/rotor set available for a good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-23, 06:48 AM
SuperGS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a trusted brake pad/rotor set available for a good deal?

2013 gs350 awd fsport: got around 87,000 miles but rear passenger brakes were not rubbing evenly. Got some brake pads at advance auto to replace rear on both sides and bled both so I can pass inspection but eventually if I pass, want to replace all by next year. Any suggestions on where everyone else has been buying their rotors and pads?
Old 06-21-23, 10:29 AM
MX73
Racer

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperGS
2013 gs350 awd fsport: got around 87,000 miles but rear passenger brakes were not rubbing evenly. Got some brake pads at advance auto to replace rear on both sides and bled both so I can pass inspection but eventually if I pass, want to replace all by next year. Any suggestions on where everyone else has been buying their rotors and pads?
I usually order my brake pads and rotors from rockauto and stick with OEM brand. Advics is OEM. Akebono are good pads as well. Pair that with Advics or Centric rotors and you have a winning combo. Also get the revised oem shims or use the shims provided with pads.

I currently have a set from Power Stop, Z23 Evolution Sport, which works pretty well. No noise under normal use, some noise under heavy braking. Great stopping power though.
The following users liked this post:
SuperGS (06-21-23)
Old 06-21-23, 02:14 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,355 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Stop Tech rotors plus Akebono pads are great, and better than stock go to choice, IMO. Be careful with other band Rotors aftermarket they are hit or miss. The other aftermarket ones have different rotor grade levels. The bottom grade ones really are cheap metals and will warp fast and suck.

If you search here there are like 15 - 20 brake threads with everything tried you want to know.
The following 3 users liked this post by jgscott:
derekmaps (06-21-23), LeX2K (06-21-23), SuperGS (06-21-23)
Old 06-21-23, 03:19 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,926 Likes on 2,464 Posts

Stop Tech rotors are good, high carbon steel they are tough.
jgscott (06-21-23)
Old 06-21-23, 07:21 PM
kolyan
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I got brembos (were in stock at local store) and oem pads
SuperGS (06-21-23)
Old 06-22-23, 08:11 AM
Mattside
Rookie

Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts

I got OEM rotors and pads (for the front) from LexusPartsNow.com, but many online retailers are comparable in price.

Along with the anti-squeal shims (04945-30360), and lots of grease between the components, no issues or noise since replacing.
SuperGS (06-22-23)
Old 06-24-23, 10:18 AM
websurfer
Racer

Received 318 Likes on 248 Posts

Who makes the OEM rotors and pads?
Old 06-24-23, 12:51 PM
surgeon0
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Advics and Akebono are OEM suppliers. We normally use different rotors but most recommended is Centric rotors + Akebono/Advics pads. There are several known combinations. Goes without saying, actual OEM is always best. That is, stamping that name on the part also comes with that QA and specified tolerances. Most of us go with OEM supplier due to equivalence only.
Old 06-24-23, 02:26 PM
primavera
Instructor

Received 314 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperGS

The same issue will reoccur with the new brakes, until you address sticky caliper problem.
Old 06-24-23, 03:26 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 318 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by surgeon0
Advics and Akebono are OEM suppliers. We normally use different rotors but most recommended is Centric rotors + Akebono/Advics pads. There are several known combinations. Goes without saying, actual OEM is always best. That is, stamping that name on the part also comes with that QA and specified tolerances. Most of us go with OEM supplier due to equivalence only.
Cool, curious about the brand. Dealer will use OEM but some independent mechanics will probably not to save $$$ for the brake job.
Old 06-24-23, 03:28 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

I'll warn all again.

Centric brake stuff has gone downhill. Unless you get the Centric top of the line you may be sorry you wasted your money. If you buy the Centric top of line which is just ok, you will spend as much or more than OEM or Stoptech. Centric was sold in 2020. The Stoptech/Akebono is better than stock Lexus. Akebono does Not need Anti squeal shims like stock. They also grip better and last much longer than the stock brake rotors and pads.
The following 2 users liked this post by jgscott:
bedivere66 (06-28-23), SuperGS (06-30-23)
Old 06-24-23, 04:15 PM
surgeon0
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Cool. Ok good to know.Centric premiums seems to work fine in 5 cars and in several other forums. Others have also used Raybestos element3, Brembo, etc. It was suggested by some racers that its good even with cheap rotors ($17) and better pads. I have not used centric lower end. Instead we stuck with Centric premium and Akebono pads. Basically this is the combo that is always suggested when "centric" come up. However, you can also get cryo rotors if worried about warping etc.

Good at least nothing bad on Akebono or Advics pads...
Old 06-24-23, 05:01 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 221 Likes on 154 Posts

I was under the impression that Centric and Stoptech were the same brand and product, just with markup and the option for slotting or drilling.
Old 06-24-23, 10:14 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by panyo64
I was under the impression that Centric and Stoptech were the same brand and product, just with markup and the option for slotting or drilling.
There was some talk about it at one time. Centric has different levels of the brand. Stoptech is the same level only the slot, drilled options. Stoptech also come from a different production than Centric. First Brands owns both I think? There are comments from many about the quality not being so great anymore and them warping. Have you tried the Centric lately?
Old 06-25-23, 05:20 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 221 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
There was some talk about it at one time. Centric has different levels of the brand. Stoptech is the same level only the slot, drilled options. Stoptech also come from a different production than Centric. First Brands owns both I think? There are comments from many about the quality not being so great anymore and them warping. Have you tried the Centric lately?
I have never used Stoptech rotors On this car, the RXs, the IS350s and the Subarus I used OEM rotors. I used Brembo rotors for the Mustang. I had Centric Premiums on both of my GTOs, but that was back in the late 2000s. They were serviceable for a 3700lb, 400hp GT car, but I was still able to overheat them

Do Stoptech and Centric use the same casting or do the Stoptechs have better cooling?

Quick Reply: Is there a trusted brake pad/rotor set available for a good deal?