GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Exhaust system for a noob

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-23, 11:55 AM
WarmSmart
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Exhaust system for a noob

Imagine that I know nothing about exhaust systems, what’s a good exhaust system that will make a nice humming noise but not have pops. I know nothing of exhaust systems so would tips, resonators and mufflers also be needed?
Old 06-21-23, 01:49 PM
EdgarLex
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

I've heard a few other exhausts on the GS. Revel and Invidia are pretty quiet, to a point where you can't tell it is aftermarket lol. In day to day driving it almost sounds like you are stock. But when you step on it, you can deff hear the exhaust. from 2-4k RPM. After 4k RPM the exhaust quiets down and you hear the intake. No rasp at all with this exhaust.

You can watch my POV Borla vid here->
Old 06-21-23, 05:16 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,495 Posts

Originally Posted by WarmSmart
Imagine that I know nothing about exhaust systems, what’s a good exhaust system that will make a nice humming noise but not have pops. I know nothing of exhaust systems so would tips, resonators and mufflers also be needed?
I'll give you an exhaust tip: Man who runs in front of car gets tired; man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

The following users liked this post:
EAST (06-21-23)
Old 06-22-23, 05:36 AM
zheka130
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I was thinking of installing an aftermarket system, then I started doing research and it seems that most are just annoyingly loud. Invidia or Revel is rated at 93dBA, which is quite loud in my opinion, since stock is 73 dBA (from what I remember).
The stock sound is quite nice, particularly above 4K rpm, in my opinion.
There aren't that many options for the GS, perhaps around four-five possible systems, Invidia being one of the cheapest.
Old 06-22-23, 10:31 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,320 Likes on 1,051 Posts

That is incorrect. The Tanabe system is not loud. It's just a bit deeper than stock if there is not intake or other exhaust mods. There is also more like about 10 different systems for the 4th Gen GS350

The 4th Gen GS350 system stock is quite because there are 4 different cats, and a insulated mid pipe with resonators off the end. The mid section is insulated and stopped down with 2 inch piping inside.

Last edited by jgscott; 06-22-23 at 11:02 AM.
Old 06-22-23, 11:48 AM
zheka130
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jgscott
That is incorrect. The Tanabe system is not loud. It's just a bit deeper than stock if there is not intake or other exhaust mods. There is also more like about 10 different systems for the 4th Gen GS350

The 4th Gen GS350 system stock is quite because there are 4 different cats, and a insulated mid pipe with resonators off the end. The mid section is insulated and stopped down with 2 inch piping inside.
Thanks for the correction. Could you share a link to the particular Tanabe exhaust you are referring to ?
Old 06-27-23, 09:49 PM
Charcos916
Driver

Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts

I have both the Invidia exhaust which I bought first I’ve had it for a couple years. Then I got the apexi exhaust system and the aimgain rear diffuser. It looked cool but the drone was annoying causing vibrations in the cabin I didn’t have before. I tried to make it work and made all sorts of excuses to keep on it just cuz I liked how it looked. It felt like there was a lot of pressure in the cabin, I would get headaches every time I drove my car and switched back to my Invidia exhaust. It’s louder when you get on it over stock for sure but when just cruising around or freeway driving it’s perfectly fine and could be stock. I got a local shop to weld on some black chrome tips and I like it better than apexi. The apexi move as you drive and will rub up against the diffuser scratching the paint.
Old 06-28-23, 05:04 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,320 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by Charcos916
I have both the Invidia exhaust which I bought first I’ve had it for a couple years. Then I got the apexi exhaust system and the aimgain rear diffuser. It looked cool but the drone was annoying causing vibrations in the cabin I didn’t have before. I tried to make it work and made all sorts of excuses to keep on it just cuz I liked how it looked. It felt like there was a lot of pressure in the cabin, I would get headaches every time I drove my car and switched back to my Invidia exhaust. It’s louder when you get on it over stock for sure but when just cruising around or freeway driving it’s perfectly fine and could be stock. I got a local shop to weld on some black chrome tips and I like it better than apexi. The apexi move as you drive and will rub up against the diffuser scratching the paint.
My friend has the Apexi with the Diffuser in Quad tips also. I drove his GS350 a few times. You are 100% correct. I felt the same way. It was loud, drone and annoying. I don't know how he can stand it. I hate it. I also agree with you about the pressure, it's like a resonation and vibration and terrible buzzing noise inside the cabin. Anytime you hit the gas it sounds terrible. I had my car, my other friends with the Invidia, and the Apexi GS all together one day. I will say that Apexi is a very, very deep sounding system compared to my Tanabe and the Invidia systems,
Old 06-28-23, 10:47 PM
Charcos916
Driver

Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts

I loved the apexi when I cold started the car it had a nice growl, and it looked good.. the invidia is just the better choice for me. I have the apexi just sitting in my garage now in the box waiting for a new buyer
Old 06-29-23, 04:33 AM
zheka130
Pit Crew

So what is the Revel Medallion S like ? Tough to tell from the videos online, seems to be marginally more pronounced than stock. Can anyone with such a system chime in ?