GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Looking to buy my first Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-23, 09:55 AM
OutOfApplication
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Looking to buy my first Lexus

I've been doing a lot of research and I seem to have settled on the Lexus GS, preferably a 4th Gen although I would consider a clean 3rd gen. I put very few miles on, 5K per year tops. I live only 2.5 miles from my office. I have a lift and do all of my own work. I've built race cars and I'm not afraid of a high mileage car as I can fix them. I am not a fan of of rust and body work. I live in Connecticut and rust is a real issue here. With my low milage I tend to keep cars 10+ years after buying them with considerable mileage on them already. I normally buy a vehicle at 80-100K miles and put 50K on over 10 is years. I'm not rich nor poor, I can really spend whatever I want on a car, but always looking for a bargain. I like the GS as it's not a transverse engine. I'm wondering if there is a sweet spot where the features are worth the extra money. I'm thinking I'd prefer a RWD model as there are fewer parts to fail, but I've not found one in my area, they are all AWD, probably due to new england winters, but I have a 4wd truck for driving in the snow. I think a base GS is performance enough, I don't need a GS F and all of the extra costs for that. . Where is the best value in the GS. What features are worth getting vs what features are likely to fail in the second half of a car's life? It seems a GS should be reliable to at least 150K miles, So I'll be looking for a clean one with 80K-100K on it. This will be my first Asian Import, so I'm totally new to Lexus. Any advice suggestions?

Thanks
Old 07-02-23, 03:57 PM
Jakerin
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

No advice really, just my experience. After some research a couple years back I went looking for a GS350 F Sport. Surprisingly I found two identical ‘15s, with 62K and 41K on their odos. Test drove both, the lower mileage salesman let me take it for a test drive by myself. Had a better price than the other car too. The CarFax was great and luckily for me I believe, the first of the two previous owners was actually a new car lessee from Lexus of Beverly Hills no less. I’ve just passed 50K and other than an oil change and having to service the front brakes to get rid of a squeal that just started, the car has been perfect. Love the 8 speed and the 300+ ponies do a very good job. Engine is very smooth and I get 25-29 mpg. I came from an STSV Caddy which is blown and a C6 Corvette before that. Despite the reduction in horsepower the GS is still satisfying and certainly no slouch. Comfy ride, heated seats, good heater, stereo and a/c and good Bluetooth connection. Kinda weird having a mouse on the console though…
Old 07-02-23, 04:20 PM
PGA71
Intermediate

Received 403 Likes on 230 Posts

These cars are extremely reliable and you won't find a better used car in my opinion.
I would recommend a luxury model if you can find one over an F Sport but that is personal preference.
Ran my 2013 to 150K mi before I sold it 3 months ago with no issues except for normal routine maintenance (Oil, filters, brakes, tires, battery and Spark Plugs once at 146K)

Living in CT, I would recommend AWD, and you will probably have trouble finding RWD in this part of the country.

Where in CT do you live?

Here is some pics and 10YR story of my X:

My X LUX GS350
The following users liked this post:
jgscott (07-03-23)
Old 07-02-23, 05:57 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,331 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Being that you looking are for one with 80k - 100k. The question is? How much do you want to spend? They are all reliable, as long as you maintain them. There are no extra features or options that fail like other cars. Most stuff that fails, is the same that fails on the Base, F Sport and Lux the same. The GS is a little different than most cars where the more options you get the more there is to fail. It does not work that way.

Probably the best thing you can do is go test drive some of the different models, to look and feel. If you use search here in the forum you will find a post like yours about every 2 week from someone with a ton of helpful info. When you ask what's the best value? It's a personal preference. If it's price the Base models should be the lowest cost. If it's options then the Lux will have the most. The F Sport (19" wheels, little better handling stock) seems to be the most popular here. If you cant find a RWD and don't want rust, then look for a GS that lived outside of the harsh snowy winter area states.

PGA71 & myself both owned Lux package GS350's. I'm also partial to the Lux because it comes with so much extra optioned equipment.
PGA71 (07-02-23)
Old 07-03-23, 05:27 AM
OutOfApplication
Driver School Candidate

I guess my biggest concern is rust. How well are these things rustproofed? I know Toyota has has serious rust issues Early Tacoma's & all 4 Runners seem to return to the earth quickly here in New England. They are great cars if you can keep them from rotting away on you. The next thing is all cars breakdown, the difference is how hard are they to work on. I currently have a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 5.7 Hemi, It's been extremely reliable, great power, but an absolute B*** to work on. No room to work, wires are exactly the length they need to be (no extra) and wire connectors impossible to access unless you have hands and arms the size of a 9 year old. Vary little has gone wrong with it over the years, but hated every minute I spent working on this Jeep. I bought the Jeep 12 years ago with about 100K miles and it still runs great so it's served me well. As opposed to my 1998+ Crown Vic's and Town cars, every time I worked on those it was so simple and was impressed by the design. That car was designed to be serviced and extremely reliable. I like the classical front engine rear wheel drive configuration, but want something a bit more nimble. The GS seems to be the ticket. Not just got to find a good one. My budget on everything is: as little as possible, but as much as necessary. I'd love to find a CLEAN higher mileage one for 15-20K, I'd consider 20+ for something with less mileage, I think psychologically I won't go over 30K, but I could if it was exceptional. The trick is finding the sweet spot where I can get a good 10 years and 50K miles without much trouble and not over pay or spend a fortune on repairs.

Thanks
Old 07-03-23, 07:20 AM
eddie420

Received 622 Likes on 446 Posts

I've had a GS and RX in the NE and have gone through multiple brutal winters, no issues. Doesn't hurt to buy an underwater carriage cleaner to clean off salt after being on the road:

The following 2 users liked this post by eddie420:
jgscott (07-03-23), websurfer (07-03-23)
Old 07-03-23, 07:41 AM
OutOfApplication
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by eddie420
I've had a GS and RX in the NE and have gone through multiple brutal winters, no issues. Doesn't hurt to buy an underwater carriage cleaner to clean off salt after being on the road:

https://youtu.be/w686wb1gjx8?t=124
For my keepers, I run mine up on the lift, power wash them and hit them with NH Oil Undercoating annually. This works great as long as the car is not already compromised.
https://nhoilundercoating.com/produc...-undercoating/
eddie420 (07-03-23)
Old 07-03-23, 08:31 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,331 Likes on 1,057 Posts

I grew up in NY. It's also good to use a Salt neutralizer wash under there. Just water does not get the Salt in all the nook and cranny's. We have not seem many rust issues with the GS here on CL anyway. Only thing I have seen is the exhaust joint up front where one or two of owners had the donut gasket go bad and 1 had that joint replaced or just a new Gasket installed. Those were cars in Canada.

Again the GS is a very reliable car. It just not a issue. If you search you will find many threads about these same questions. There is no bad model year or packages, year. There are no bad options. Your biggest key is finding the one you want of the 3 different model types. I can do just about any job and/or repair on a car. I'm just at the point that I don't want the hassle anymore. If I was looking for a used Lexus, or any other car model right now and was going to pay $15-30K for it. There is no way I would buy it without getting it in a good Lexus or Toyota service shop with a Master Tech, and have a detailed check out inspection performed. It's a Used car. Except buying Lexus Pre owned certified which is a waste of money if you ask me.

With the $15-$30k range. You need to find some local different GS350 models for Sale, then go out and drive them. The Base, F Sport, Lux,13-15, 15-20, all have a bit different drive, is the feedback everyone has given. Some are more comfort Lexus like riding, some more Sport, some a bit more responsive engine performance wise, some not as responsive compared. There were very slight changes. As a example most of the 13 owners don't like the newer models when they drive it, but then the newer model owners often don't like the 13-15 as much, due the the 16+ having the more Luxury car drive and ride. Where as the pre 16 owners don't like giving up the feel of the 13-15 for the 16 cushy Lexus ride and drive feel. So go drive, figure what you want, ask question here, and then find a few you like based on the year, and GS model you like for you personal preference.

Being you never owned a Lexus you got to understand it's not a reliability or car problem thing. That why most love their Lexus's here. lol! Still this same question thread appears like every 2-3 weeks.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-to-avoid.html
PGA71 (07-03-23)
Old 07-04-23, 08:44 PM
OutOfApplication
Driver School Candidate

I'm going to look at one tomorrow (2013 GS 350). Looks great in the pictures. Are there any common problems to look for? Like when they rust where would the common spots be to look at? For the price I'm expecting it to be clean, but it is a 10 year old car in New England.
Old 07-04-23, 09:58 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 312 Likes on 244 Posts

Should be a great vehicle if well taken care of. Check Lexus.com with the VIN if they serviced their vehicle at Lexus. Check the Carfax. Not sure if the AWD will need brakes and rotors as often as the RWD but those could add some cost since those are expensive for the OEM parts. I read I have to do spark plugs at 60K for EPA requirements. AWD is not staggered wheels so you don't have to worry about changing tires as often so it can be rotated. AWD is probably 6 speed and not RWD as 8 speed.

I didn't have any major issue except wind noise on the driver side (found it's the driver mirror design, so I put some cabinet bumpers and it fixed it).

I did change the top chrome piece 2 times already, it seems to attract the rocks on the freeway which causes the chrome to dent. Also, I found not to use car washes with spinning brushes since it leaves scratch marks on the window sills.

The GS is probably not the latest tech so no Apple Carplay or Android Auto, no 360 camera, etc. My model year does have BSM, Lane Departure, collision mitigation, adaptive high beam, etc. AVS (Adaptive Variable Suspension) is awesome.

Last edited by websurfer; 07-04-23 at 10:05 PM.
Old 07-05-23, 04:08 PM
zheka130
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

These cars are pretty good rust wise. Mine is an Ontario car, winter driven for 10 years, no major rust issues. Most of the underbody is plastic covered.
I agree with your willingness to buy a RWD model. I have one, and with rear steering the handling is just amazing. Not sure how it compares to a CTS V, but its better than my old BMW.
The gearbox is a bit too lackluster for my liking.

On another note, if you only drive 5K a year, and can fix your own cars, then an M5 is your type of car. Why settle for a GS? 🤔

Old 07-06-23, 10:15 AM
Jakerin
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by zheka130
These cars are pretty good rust wise. Mine is an Ontario car, winter driven for 10 years, no major rust issues. Most of the underbody is plastic covered.
I agree with your willingness to buy a RWD model. I have one, and with rear steering the handling is just amazing. Not sure how it compares to a CTS V, but its better than my old BMW.
The gearbox is a bit too lackluster for my liking.

On another note, if you only drive 5K a year, and can fix your own cars, then an M5 is your type of car. Why settle for a GS? 🤔
”Settle” for a GS?
Old 07-06-23, 12:09 PM
zheka130
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Jakerin
”Settle” for a GS?
Even though I like the GS, in my opinion it is somewhat underpowered, with a particularly disappointing transmission. (Like I said sometime ago, a ZF gearbox would have made this car better)
I bought the GS because I drive quite a bit every day, and I wanted a reliable RWD semi-sporty vehicle.
If I was in the situation that the OP is in, I would have went for something more fun and more enjoyable.
Old 07-07-23, 06:32 PM
OutOfApplication
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by zheka130
Even though I like the GS, in my opinion it is somewhat underpowered, with a particularly disappointing transmission. (Like I said sometime ago, a ZF gearbox would have made this car better)
I bought the GS because I drive quite a bit every day, and I wanted a reliable RWD semi-sporty vehicle.
If I was in the situation that the OP is in, I would have went for something more fun and more enjoyable.
The GS is plenty sporty for my daily driver, I got a 73 Camaro when I want fun. I'm hoping this is something I can reliably drive for many years without much trouble. It's nice looking but not too flashy and for me the right balance of sport and luxury. Time will tell if this was a good choice.