GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Negative battery corrosion and ground wiring help

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-23 | 02:32 AM
mazstar
Rookie

Default Negative battery corrosion and ground wiring help

My GS 350 just had its battery replaced after less than 3yrs and has suffered from negative terminal corrosion since swapping out the OEM for more than 2 yrs. I am in my second Century battery supplied by dealer in less than 3 yrs.

The dealer did a crap job cleaning out the terminal when replacing battery. I cleaned it properly, neutralised acid corrosion and then applied terminal protector and dielectric grease in some parts. I also applied the felt pad.

The terminal tin plating came off exposing copper terminal when using the wire brush. I would prefer to replace this cable entirely and wanted to know what the length was and if anyone had replaced it with a better cable. What are the specs of the cable, lug connector size?

My feeling is that there is still corrosion within the cable and connector causing resistance.

The other grounds look OK. What gets me is the bad quality of the cables and every used cable I have seen is also corroded on eBay.

Does anyone have the wiring diagram to show where the other grounds go and what the part numbers are? I have tried finding these and I am guessing it is WIRE SUB-ASSY, BODY GROUND, NO.1 82046A?

Has anyone upgraded their negative earth wires, experienced the same issues as me or have any other advice? I will be getting a battery tester and do some multimeter testing to check soon.

Terminal cleaned with protector and dielectric but copper exposed

Are these the Ground wires?

Corrosion buildup before

Corrosion

Last edited by mazstar; 07-08-23 at 02:48 AM.
Old 07-08-23 | 05:32 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Century battery supplied by dealer
Century Batteries are made in Australia (The battery labeling says 'Proudly Australian Made'!

Hey! At least that Aussie dealer didn't put the battery in upside down!

The dealer did a crap job...
So, is your Lexus dealer that 'did a crap job' located down under in Western Australia (a.k.a. Wa) or is it located right side up in Washington state in the U.S.?

If your Lexus dealer is in Australia but you live in Washington state you've got quite a drive ahead of you to complain about the crappy job they did with your battery!

Last edited by bclexus; 07-08-23 at 01:05 PM. Reason: orthography
Old 07-08-23 | 08:21 AM
EAST
Advanced

Have you tried putting any protection on the terminal to prevent the corrosion? Although it seems weird that the OEM battery is leaking like that.

Edit: Geeze I can't read this morning. Seems you already cleaned it and protected it. It shouldn't be hard to make your own with some 2 or 4 guage wire. You might even be able to pry open the terminal on the wire side and reuse that. Follow the wire, it'd likely end at a point on the engine or frame.

Last edited by EAST; 07-08-23 at 08:36 AM.
Old 07-08-23 | 06:50 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

I remember seeing that battery ground terminal connect end on my friends GS350 when we did a Big 3 ground upgrade for his sub and amps.

Its actually somewhere down on the pass side forward a bit. There was something you have to move to get to it. It's not that hard to get to at all if I recall correctly. You have to remove the Air box which is not that hard at all. I've removed and changed out my stock air box and different CAI ones a few times.

Last edited by jgscott; 07-08-23 at 07:08 PM.
Old 07-08-23 | 11:51 PM
mazstar
Rookie

Being Australian, it is a RHD so the battery is on the RHD side when looking at the time bay. The air box is in the same place being on front LHD side.
Old 07-18-23 | 06:11 AM
mazstar
Rookie

Replaced the stock with aftermarket cable. Thicker gauge and better constructed, only drawback is bronze terminal as opposed to tin plated copper. I’ll get a quality custom made up.

The old stock corroded to a point where I couldn’t tighten it properly, corrosion kept returning between connection and tin corroded off to reveal copper meaning there’s whole bunch of galvanic action going on between various metals. Will test with multimeter to see if it brings up anything interesting.

The following users liked this post:
derekmaps (07-18-23)