Auto Lock feature. Want it to auto lock when I leave the vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-23, 07:32 AM
OutOfApplication
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Auto Lock feature. Want it to auto lock when I leave the vehicle

Hi all,

I'm a new Lexus owner. I have a 2016 GS350 that I recently purchased and I'm still learning all of the features. I was playing with the auto lock feature and I see it can auto lock on shift to drive or auto lock at speed. I have mine set to auto lock when I put it to drive, this is great, but what I really want is for it to auto lock when I leave the car and the key fob get's out of range. On my old fashioned car without push button start, I always exited the car with the key in my hand as I just removed it from the ignition. I would always hit the lock button before I put the key back in my pocket. This fancy push button start is sweet! But since I leave the key in my pocket, I keep forgetting to lock the car. I know about the magic spot on the handle to lock it, but I forget sometimes to do it. Is there any way to configure this to auto lock when no valid key is in range?

Thanks!
Old 08-18-23, 08:13 AM
MX73
Racer

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by OutOfApplication
Hi all,

I'm a new Lexus owner. I have a 2016 GS350 that I recently purchased and I'm still learning all of the features. I was playing with the auto lock feature and I see it can auto lock on shift to drive or auto lock at speed. I have mine set to auto lock when I put it to drive, this is great, but what I really want is for it to auto lock when I leave the car and the key fob get's out of range. On my old fashioned car without push button start, I always exited the car with the key in my hand as I just removed it from the ignition. I would always hit the lock button before I put the key back in my pocket. This fancy push button start is sweet! But since I leave the key in my pocket, I keep forgetting to lock the car. I know about the magic spot on the handle to lock it, but I forget sometimes to do it. Is there any way to configure this to auto lock when no valid key is in range?

Thanks!
None of the Lexus has this feature where it auto locks when the key is out of range. Maybe the 2022+ Lexus that are coming out may have this feature but nothing prior to this.

Yes, I realized that other manufacturers have this feature, but I have never seen a Toyota/Lexus with this.
Old 08-18-23, 08:32 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

I don't think the new ones have it either. My 23 doesn't have it but you can use the phone app to lock it in case u forgot. I've done this many times where I just walked away without locking the car or wasn't sure if I did. Pulled out the phone, check the app and lock it from there if necessary.
Old 08-18-23, 08:42 AM
OutOfApplication
Driver School Candidate

I guess I need to get in the new habit of pushing the lock button on the door handle. It seems like a feature many people would want. If I forgot to lock it and someone without the key opened the door would the alarm still go off? or is the alarm also not armed. I guess I'm also assuming this has an alarm.
Old 08-18-23, 09:03 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

No, the alarm won't go off. It only works if the doors are locked first.
Old 08-18-23, 10:11 AM
OutOfApplication
Driver School Candidate

ItzFilyO,

Another unrelated question for you. I see you have had GS350's in the past and now have the RC. From front seat comfort perspective how does the RC compare to the GS? Is RC cabin, lower, smaller, tighter than the GS? I'm a older/larger guy, so think from that point of view. That RC looks nice, but as a daily driver I want to make sure it's comfortable and easy to get in and out of.
Old 08-18-23, 10:56 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Oh the GS is more comfortable and easier to get in and out hands down! RC seats are nice but can't compare to GS in the comfort department, especially for long drives.

If I could keep both my GS and RC, I would but I can't.
Old 08-18-23, 11:09 AM
byungkuk
Intermediate

Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts

My dad's MDX does that.. just locks by itself when you're walking away.

Too bad the GS doesn't have this feature - if you forget to unlock, it stays unlocked. I do notice it right away by the side mirrors.
Old 08-18-23, 12:13 PM
EAST
Intermediate

Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Yea that's my cue, the folding mirrors. You get into a habit of locking after a couple weeks. Close the door, touch the handle.
Old 08-18-23, 01:51 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,105 Likes on 1,500 Posts

I don't think I'd want an auto-lock feature. I'll lock it by touching the indent on the handle and watch my driver side mirror fold.

What happens if you get out of the car and walk over to talk to a friend pumping gas in the next isle over, or run into a 7-11 store to make a quick purchase - and you have an occupant in the car with you or a child in a car seat. Is the occupant going to be locked inside the car and can't get out?
Old 08-18-23, 05:34 PM
Jakerin
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
I don't think I'd want an auto-lock feature. I'll lock it by touching the indent on the handle and watch my driver side mirror fold.

What happens if you get out of the car and walk over to talk to a friend pumping gas in the next isle over, or run into a 7-11 store to make a quick purchase - and you have an occupant in the car with you or a child in a car seat. Is the occupant going to be locked inside the car and can't get out?
You’re kidding right? Getting locked (inside) the car?
Old 08-19-23, 07:53 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

The only auto locking feature I'm aware of, if you unlock the vehicle but never open the door, it will auto lock after 5 minutes or so.
Old 08-19-23, 08:28 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,105 Likes on 1,500 Posts

Originally Posted by Jakerin
You’re kidding right? Getting locked (inside) the car?
No, not kidding! The OP said; what I really want is for it to auto lock when I leave the car and the key fob gets out of range.

If you pull away from a parking spot and move the selector lever out of the "P" position with the engine running all the doors auto lock. Okay. You can program all the door to unlock when in Park and the driver door opens. Okay. However, the OP wants the car to auto lock whenever he leaves the car and the key fob gets out of range. So, what exactly does the OP want to happen if the car is in Park with the engine running and the A/C is running on a 105° day and the OP walks to where the key fob gets out of range? Does the OP want the car to become securely locked under this scenario - the engine and A/C to turn Off - the side mirrors to fold? I certainly hope not!!!

Last edited by bclexus; 08-19-23 at 08:42 AM.
Old 08-19-23, 08:29 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jtrue28
The only auto locking feature I'm aware of, if you unlock the vehicle but never open the door, it will auto lock after 5 minutes or so.
The factory default is 60 sec but u can change it with Carista.
Old 08-19-23, 08:51 AM
BillUK
Intermediate

Received 97 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
No, not kidding! The OP said; what I really want is for it to auto lock when I leave the car and the key fob gets out of range.

If you pull away from a parking spot and move the selector lever out of the "P" position with the engine running all the doors auto lock. Okay. You can program all the door to unlock when in Park and the driver door opens. Okay. However, the OP wants the car to auto lock whenever he leaves the car and the key fob gets out of range. So, what exactly does the OP want to happen if the car is in Park with the engine running and the A/C is running on a 105° day and the OP walks to where the key fob gets out of range? Does the OP want the car to become securely locked under this scenario - the engine and A/C to turn Off - the side mirrors to fold? I certainly hope not!!!
No, he dooesn't seem to want that.

What he appears to want is to park, turn off the car, exit and walk away, and for the car to lock itself when he's out of range, without having to use the fob. That's how I understand it anyway.

Quick Reply: Auto Lock feature. Want it to auto lock when I leave the vehicle