Triple Beam headlight performance

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-23, 06:26 AM
artfil91
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by FullMetalM
Hey artfil91
Looks pretty good to me! Hopefully mine once adjusted look close to that good.
Did the dealer confirm AFS for you?
Its cool to see the lights turn but its not necessary at all, maybe when I adjust the lights it will be more worth it, we will see.
No AFS in my car, and yeah have them adjusted if yours are pointing low! Well worth it.
Old 08-30-23, 07:12 AM
lockedlex
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Just adjusted mine on Sunday. I feel they were way too low from factory and that seems to be the consensus with these cars. In the pic above, it should be a smidge higher, like enough to fill in the dark part of the curve above. This will not cause any dazzling/blinding to oncoming traffic. I have mine calibrated that way... and had someone not only drive in front of me, but also towards me and there were no issues (they were in a sedan as well. Considering 80% of the cars around me are SUVs, it's probably even less of a factor. My BMWs are calibrated this way as well from the factory. LEXUS just seems conservative).

I have the LED on my GS450h with AFS though and it makes a staggering difference in coverage especially in sharper curves.
Old 08-30-23, 07:21 AM
artfil91
Driver

Originally Posted by lockedlex
Just adjusted mine on Sunday. I feel they were way too low from factory and that seems to be the consensus with these cars. In the pic above, it should be a smidge higher, like enough to fill in the dark part of the curve above. This will not cause any dazzling/blinding to oncoming traffic. I have mine calibrated that way... and had someone not only drive in front of me, but also towards me and there were no issues (they were in a sedan as well. Considering 80% of the cars around me are SUVs, it's probably even less of a factor. My BMWs are calibrated this way as well from the factory. LEXUS just seems conservative).

I have the LED on my GS450h with AFS though and it makes a staggering difference in coverage especially in sharper curves.
We'll see, I may adjust it upwards a bit more but for now I'm happy. The adjustment looks relatively straightforward but does anyone have a tutorial to do it? I don't want to bring it back to the dealer lol.
Old 08-30-23, 08:17 AM
EAST
Intermediate

Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Page 416 and 417 of the owners manual cover what to turn (or refer to Headlights aim in the Index).

The thing I'm surprised is missing is the measurements at which to put the tape. Normally it's something like measuring the center point of the headlight projector lens. Then going back X number of feet from the wall, then putting the tape at a measurement similar to what you measured. I'm not sure what those measurements aren't in the manual.
Old 08-30-23, 08:22 AM
artfil91
Driver

Originally Posted by EAST
Page 416 and 417 of the owners manual cover what to turn (or refer to Headlights aim in the Index).

The thing I'm surprised is missing is the measurements at which to put the tape. Normally it's something like measuring the center point of the headlight projector lens. Then going back X number of feet from the wall, then putting the tape at a measurement similar to what you measured. I'm not sure what those measurements aren't in the manual.
Honestly I'm surprised that the owners manual covers this! I assumed this was only info you'd find in the factory service book. Thank you very much, I'll take a peek later on.
Old 08-30-23, 08:30 AM
lexus4jess
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by EAST

I go 25 ft back. Then go 4" under the center of the headlight projector lens beam.