Triple Beam headlight performance

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-23, 07:03 PM
artfil91
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Triple Beam headlight performance

Hey guys,

Just the other day, I picked up my new car, a 2019 GS350 F-Sport AWD with the triple beam headlights (pictured). Loving the car overall but I'm a little disappointed with the performance of the headlights. I was excited thinking that I got the "upgraded" headlight package however the low beam range is a bit short. Does anybody else feel this way or do mine need to be aimed/adjusted? Highbeam performance is solid but I expected more out of the low beams. I feel like my old 2009 GS350 with the AFS headlights performed better.

Also, did the triple beam headlights not come with AFS? I can't find that option in the settings and they don't turn around bends like my old car. I assumed the triple beams did but I'm not seeing any option to turn that feature on.

The following users liked this post:
lexus4jess (08-21-23)
Old 08-20-23, 08:31 PM
fourgs
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

Maybe they are pointing down and need readjusted?
lexus4jess (08-21-23)
Old 08-20-23, 08:50 PM
EAST
Intermediate

Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

So you don't have this option to deactivate AFS?
​​​​​​Page 217 in the manual

Old 08-21-23, 06:09 AM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

I can tell you that the base model headlights are aimed low for sure. My 2016 were low. Also, my 2013 luxury package with adaptive headlights were aimed low. There’s a big thread on here about it. Yours might just need to be adjusted up, I don’t have experience with trip beam though.
Old 08-21-23, 08:28 AM
lexus4jess
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

congratulations on your GS
Old 08-21-23, 08:39 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,320 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Congrats on your new to you GS!

Adjust the Headlight beams up. All Lexus model are low aimed from the Factory. I did not think the Triple beams had AFS functions? I maybe wrong, but did not.

If you don't have the button that makes me think even more that they don't. If they do, someone will come along and say they do. Those GS Factory LED Triple beams should be nice and bright once you bring the aim up.
Old 08-21-23, 09:08 AM
bayareaemt
Driver

Congratulations on your GS.
Old 08-21-23, 09:48 AM
EAST
Intermediate

Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I know if you have a bidirectional car scanner (cost less than $100) or techstream, you can look at the active tests that are available from the AFS module. I know for my single beam, all I have is up and down movent that can be triggered. So I only have auto leveling.

It looks like for the preface-lift GS, you could also get left and right swivel for that version of AFS (but that sounds like a single projector that moves left and right?). I would imagine options would be a little different for a triple LED system of the post facelift.

FullMetalM (08-22-23)
Old 08-21-23, 12:07 PM
artfil91
Driver

Thanks for all the feedback and kind words guys! I'm still happy as hell with this car; it's by far the coolest I've ever owned.

Seeing that the factory bumper-to-bumper warranty has LITERALLY 300 miles left on it, I scheduled an appointment with Lexus tomorrow so I'll have them take a look and adjust if necessary. The lights are bright as the sun but I'm convinced they're just aimed too low like some of you are saying. I didn't have to use the highbeams in my old car NEARLY as much.

And I dug a bit deeper in the vehicle settings, and apparently I do NOT have AFS! I'm shocked, thought that the newer car with the upgraded headlights would have that but oh well. At least they look really nice!
Old 08-21-23, 01:31 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by artfil91
Thanks for all the feedback and kind words guys! I'm still happy as hell with this car; it's by far the coolest I've ever owned.

Seeing that the factory bumper-to-bumper warranty has LITERALLY 300 miles left on it, I scheduled an appointment with Lexus tomorrow so I'll have them take a look and adjust if necessary. The lights are bright as the sun but I'm convinced they're just aimed too low like some of you are saying. I didn't have to use the highbeams in my old car NEARLY as much.

And I dug a bit deeper in the vehicle settings, and apparently I do NOT have AFS! I'm shocked, thought that the newer car with the upgraded headlights would have that but oh well. At least they look really nice!
While you have it at the Dealers, ask them to check you Struts, Sunroof seal molding, a/c - heat Servo motors, and F Sport Brakes.
Old 08-21-23, 01:35 PM
artfil91
Driver

Originally Posted by jgscott
While you have it at the Dealers, ask them to check you Struts, Sunroof seal molding, a/c - heat Servo motors, and F Sport Brakes.
Great to know!! I was gonna mention the AVS but I didn't think of the rest of the stuff.
Old 08-21-23, 02:06 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by artfil91
Great to know!! I was gonna mention the AVS but I didn't think of the rest of the stuff.
Also ask if you have the latest ECU update. I think they did a updated flash for the AWD gear box/Trans ECU.
Old 08-22-23, 12:54 AM
FullMetalM
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey,

I have a pre-facelift model with the tri-beam headlights AFS (swivel) so if you don't have it maybe the facelift model removed AFS or it was another optional extra. I will say that even on my car the low beams are pointed very low and I plan on adjusting them in the future. High beam as you said is fantastic for a low sedan.
Old 08-28-23, 08:40 AM
artfil91
Driver

Hi all, just figured I'd share an update.

I brought the car to Lexus last week and had them adjust the low beams upwards a little bit. The dealership was initially hesitant, saying that the lights were within spec but they ultimately agreed to raise them up a smidge. Cost me $38 but it actually made a substantial difference and I'm much happier with them now.

Lastly, I realized I can live without the AFS. The triple beams cast light pretty wide and do a decent job of keeping bends in the road illuminated.

Below is a picture of the low beams on a dark back road AFTER the adjustment. I wish I took a before photo, whoops.

What do you guys think?

The following 2 users liked this post by artfil91:
FullMetalM (08-29-23), lexus4jess (08-28-23)
Old 08-29-23, 08:10 PM
FullMetalM
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey artfil91
Looks pretty good to me! Hopefully mine once adjusted look close to that good.
Did the dealer confirm AFS for you?
Its cool to see the lights turn but its not necessary at all, maybe when I adjust the lights it will be more worth it, we will see.

Quick Reply: Triple Beam headlight performance