GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Extended car warranty advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-23, 06:47 PM
fourgs
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

I personally declined at time of purchase and did not and would not pay for extended warranty for toyota/lexus, but not saying its the solution for everyone. It depends if you can get a good deal with a good company, and I personally couldnt find one by googling.
If anyone has a link we can take a look.

Last edited by fourgs; 08-24-23 at 06:55 PM.
Old 08-24-23, 08:44 PM
fourgs
Pit Crew

regarding the " A/C servo motor(s) have an internal electrical malfunction" I dont know much about the ac issue with this car but this tsb says its free repair regardless of mileage.
https://www.tsbsearch.com/Lexus/20LE01

Old 08-24-23, 09:12 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,320 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Until Jan 12 2022 regardless of year or mileage.
Old 08-24-23, 09:30 PM
fourgs
Pit Crew

oh I see.
also idk what is that "secondary coverage" but its also not amazing , in best case it says covers models up to 2017 +7 years which would be until 2024 (for the 2017s) and 125 000 miles
Old 08-24-23, 11:06 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 309 Likes on 242 Posts

I don't see a TSB for the 2020 GS model so I guess when my warranty runs out, I'm out of luck.

I didn't purchase extended warranty figuring the GS isn't loaded with issues with repairs but I'm finding there are quite a few items that could go wrong and add up to more $$$$ fast now. I can't buy it given CA you can't purchase any extended warranty after purchase of the vehicle (I asked before so I got that answer).

Warranty maybe cheaper here (they just resell it with a lower cost):

https://caredge.com/extended-warranty
Old 08-25-23, 03:38 PM
fourgs
Pit Crew

Their first fix is ac firmware update. Maybe they had a new firmware installed starting from the 2018 and thats why not included in tsb? Someone with techstream should check what its showing. In that case also might update the ac firmware to get some protection from this issue.

ps: Also can see the version through carista app with a cheap obd conector

Last edited by fourgs; 08-25-23 at 04:26 PM.
Old 08-25-23, 03:42 PM
websurfer
Racer

Originally Posted by fourgs
Their first fix is ac firmware update. Maybe they had a new firmware installed starting from the 2018 and thats why not included in tsb? Someone with techstream should check what its showing. In that case also might update the ac firmware to get some protection from this issue.
I don't have a techstream but I would be curious to know. I'm seeing a number of servo motor failures recently esp. on older GS model.
Old 08-25-23, 06:46 PM
fourgs
Pit Crew

I looked at the offer at https://caredge.com/extended-warranty and then clicked on full contract details, and for the ac it lists like 7 subcomponents that are covered but the servo motors/actuators are not listed. I had a bmw that had actuators failed on pasenger, I was just closing the pasenger vents when it was acting up. not often so no big deal. same deal on a friends bmw. seems that the actuators is a often issue and they didnt list it as its an expensive one to fix as well.

If it would happen to my car I would probably just live with it since the ac still works, and it has full power. I would just close the faulty vent and thats it.
also I would ugrade the AC firmware if a glitch would happen
and if it will get bad I would fix it myself probably.

Last edited by fourgs; 08-25-23 at 07:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
websurfer (08-25-23)
Old 08-25-23, 09:24 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Assurant Extended service Platinum contract. Is what I have. I called to ask before I got it about certain things like the servo motors and other detailed item. On the Servos, I was told on my Platinum coverage it was covered as "Blend Doors motors", see if you find coverage named as such.

That's smart that you check, because lots don't. I always do. Some don't even cover the Radio stereo systems, at a glace I don't think that caredge one does. It's almost like a Powertrain warranty only.

Last edited by jgscott; 08-25-23 at 09:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
websurfer (08-25-23)
Old 08-25-23, 09:46 PM
fourgs
Pit Crew

https://caredge.com/wp-content/uploa...32cacfa8-1.pdf

its on the bottom row, but the actuators / blend doors are not listed
Old 08-25-23, 10:04 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Assurant Extended service Platinum coverage contract I have. Bottom right under Misc.

https://www.assurant.com/documents/a...sn=4d41b004_13

Old 08-25-23, 11:13 PM
websurfer
Racer

wow, you'll are awesome. Good details on looking at the contracts.

Assurant is better in listing the "Blend door motors".

How much is it retails without warranty?

Last edited by websurfer; 08-25-23 at 11:17 PM.
Old 08-26-23, 08:15 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by websurfer
wow, you'll are awesome. Good details on looking at the contracts.

Assurant is better in listing the "Blend door motors".

How much is it retails without warranty?
Idk. I think most should talk with Lexus or Toyota and get the update. Or use a software service like to do the update themselves. I would doubt it's more than 1 hour labor to have it done and that would assure to possibly prevent the problem in the 1st place. I also do not think every GS will have the problem, it maybe even isolated to just a small percentage. One thing I have experienced over the years is using that Dual climate different temperatures for driver and passenger I think leads to the risk of the failure more so, being I think the doors work more operating to different temps. I never run Dual, I just adjust for my passengers to their comfort just to not run it for that reason. I think it make the blend doors work overtime. This problem is all over the CL forum for all the different Lexus cars and SUV's.

Just to share my idea with others here. The way I got my contract was. I have had my GS for a while now. It's been paid off for years. I only have 45k on my 13 GS350 Lux. A few years ago I went back and borrowed $5k the min from my credit union on my car. With that Car loan which was 2.9% used car rate I was able to choose a extended service contract. They had 2-3 company's that you could choose from. I researched them all, made some calls to ask questions and determined that Assurance was the most coverage and the best reviews and BBB Ratings. 30 days later after the loan I paid it back off, and it kept the service contract. I have the Platinum full coverage till 11/2026 and till 150k miles, still.

Last year I took my GS to the Lexus dealer for a oil change special they had and a check up inspection. When I got it back they had performed the Servo update which was still in the active date for my GS. At 1st I was not to happy because they did not ask or tell me 1st. I let them know, and advise them I was not having a problem but.... if I did end up with the problem they would be fixing it because I did not authorize the update, nor did they ask me 1st or tell me. I just noticed it on the service ticket when I got the car back and asked about it.
Old 08-26-23, 09:42 AM
websurfer
Racer

Originally Posted by jgscott
Idk. I think most should talk with Lexus or Toyota and get the update. Or use a software service like to do the update themselves. I would doubt it's more than 1 hour labor to have it done and that would assure to possibly prevent the problem in the 1st place. I also do not think every GS will have the problem, it maybe even isolated to just a small percentage. One thing I have experienced over the years is using that Dual climate different temperatures for driver and passenger I think leads to the risk of the failure more so, being I think the doors work more operating to different temps. I never run Dual, I just adjust for my passengers to their comfort just to not run it for that reason. I think it make the blend doors work overtime. This problem is all over the CL forum for all the different Lexus cars and SUV's.

Just to share my idea with others here. The way I got my contract was. I have had my GS for a while now. It's been paid off for years. I only have 45k on my 13 GS350 Lux. A few years ago I went back and borrowed $5k the min from my credit union on my car. With that Car loan which was 2.9% used car rate I was able to choose a extended service contract. They had 2-3 company's that you could choose from. I researched them all, made some calls to ask questions and determined that Assurance was the most coverage and the best reviews and BBB Ratings. 30 days later after the loan I paid it back off, and it kept the service contract. I have the Platinum full coverage till 11/2026 and till 150k miles, still.

Last year I took my GS to the Lexus dealer for a oil change special they had and a check up inspection. When I got it back they had performed the Servo update which was still in the active date for my GS. At 1st I was not to happy because they did not ask or tell me 1st. I let them know, and advise them I was not having a problem but.... if I did end up with the problem they would be fixing it because I did not authorize the update, nor did they ask me 1st or tell me. I just noticed it on the service ticket when I got the car back and asked about it.
IMO and I could be totally wrong. I know the GS is a very reliable vehicle drives so awesome but when there are repairs, it seems it's quite expensive for the Lexus labor cost unless you go a independent shop but OEM parts are expensive also. Maybe extended warranty isn't that bad of idea if you decided you want to keep the vehicle for long but that's an extra expense. IDK that answer so don't bake me.

My other friend indicated, luxury vehicles are great for leasing for 3 years. I guess Toyotas are for keeping.

On the other side:
It makes it hard for me to keep my GS for long period of time if these but the maintenance is a lot higher than a Toyota (yes, it's not luxury, less quiet, less comfort and more basic). I looked online for the bill and it's $3000 for labor for a $130 part probably because they need to remove the dash to get to it to repair if I'm not mistaken. My brother's Toyota also have servo motor issues so maybe it's common thing.

Already the front brakes on the RWD F sport model are expensive for maintenance. It's like $400 or more per year for insurance than the Rav4 SUV were looking also. My vehicle loves to use up tires I'm sure since I can't rotate them so I'm probably due around 28K miles. I'm not sure how long I'll keep my GS, I see some people have moved on.

Don't want to be car poor, saving for retirement 1 day so it maybe a hard choice.
Old 08-26-23, 11:19 AM
fourgs
Pit Crew

Nice. Thank you. I just called dealer and asked and they said they will update for free since its a 2017. Will go on monday.

Quick Reply: Extended car warranty advice