GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Extended car warranty advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-23, 12:19 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,354 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by fourgs
Nice. Thank you. I just called dealer and asked and they said they will update for free since its a 2017. Will go on monday.
Good for you. If by chance you can, ask them what the update cost if out of the free period for others.
The following users liked this post:
fourgs (08-26-23)
Old 08-26-23, 01:19 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by websurfer
IMO and I could be totally wrong. I know the GS is a very reliable vehicle drives so awesome but when there are repairs, it seems it's quite expensive for the Lexus labor cost unless you go a independent shop but OEM parts are expensive also. Maybe extended warranty isn't that bad of idea if you decided you want to keep the vehicle for long but that's an extra expense. IDK that answer so don't bake me.

My other friend indicated, luxury vehicles are great for leasing for 3 years. I guess Toyotas are for keeping.

On the other side:
It makes it hard for me to keep my GS for long period of time if these but the maintenance is a lot higher than a Toyota (yes, it's not luxury, less quiet, less comfort and more basic). I looked online for the bill and it's $3000 for labor for a $130 part probably because they need to remove the dash to get to it to repair if I'm not mistaken. My brother's Toyota also have servo motor issues so maybe it's common thing.

Already the front brakes on the RWD F sport model are expensive for maintenance. It's like $400 or more per year for insurance than the Rav4 SUV were looking also. My vehicle loves to use up tires I'm sure since I can't rotate them so I'm probably due around 28K miles. I'm not sure how long I'll keep my GS, I see some people have moved on.

Don't want to be car poor, saving for retirement 1 day so it maybe a hard choice.

I would not be too worried about your 2020 GS so much right now. lol! Remember some older model are like coming on as much as 12 years old now, being some 2013 were actually produced and sold in 2012. All cars have fails. Just some more than others. Lex/Toy and Honda/Acura rate some of the best imo. So it's a matter of maintaining them and what fails the least? For sure a German car is going to be a money pit out of any warranty. In addition to many other Domestic models.

My Wife and Daughters both like Kia's cars of late. We had a 2016, 2020 and now a new 2023. All are the top models with the Turbo engines. We have have Zero problems with them, except for the 16 blowing a Turbo oil feed line, which I think the dealer messed up on a recall update working around it. Also have a noisy a/c blower motor replaced, and 1 coil pack at like 80k which I replaced all 4 myself, because it was a inline 4 and so easy to work on. In spite of the Hyundai/Kia Narrative. lol! I actually like their Kia's very, very much also. Much more than the Honda, Acura's, and Toyota's. I think everyone with a GS should look at doing the update as assurance for the servo's and just not worry about it or any other problems too much. Lexus is still #1 for what it is to me, and I have owned alot of Lexus's for a long time now.
The following 4 users liked this post by jgscott:
AJLex19 (08-27-23), fourgs (08-26-23), PGA71 (08-26-23), websurfer (08-26-23)
Old 08-27-23, 07:00 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,157 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Mandolexus
As the the title says, I’m looking for any advice on purchasing an extended car warranty on my 2015 GS 350 F Sport.

I purchased this car back in August 2020 with about 58,000 miles. The car also came with a 4 year 50k warranty from Lexus (Lexus Platinum Care) for around 3k to 3.5k (can’t remember the exact amount). Since I bought this car, I was to able fix multiple things under the warranty. Aside from replacing a wheel bearing and engine mount, and replacing some electronics, nothing major has happen.
My car is currently at 96k and has a year or about 12k left on my current warranty with Lexus. The Lexus dealership (owned by Autonation) has reached out to me about purchasing another extended warranty before my current one ends. The thing is that it will not be with Lexus but with Veritas Global Protection and is quoted for $6,000 for 60,000 miles for 60 months. The advisor from Lexus mention that it will be the top tier plan they have and will have a $100 deductible for any approved repairs. The monthly payment is $189 a month for only the first 30 months of the term.
I know that Lexus cars are known for its reliability but my GS is hitting 100k miles. Should I purchase the third party extended warranty? Or should roll the dice and pay for the repairs as they come?
The dealership is saying that I need to make a decision on this week but I don’t want to make any rushed decision and not sure if they are just trying to pressure me into buying one sooner than later.
Any advice would be appreciated!
I've always been someone who disagrees with an extended warranty on my Lexus cars. One major reason is that bigger ticket items on these vehicles are very reliable. Another reason is the cars are easy enough to work on that a good, trusted local mechanic can exponetially reduce the labor costs. Sites like myLparts.com or ssl-parts.com are Lexus dealers selling genuine OEM Lexus parts for discounted prices so you can supply them to your mechanic. Also, you just can't beat the DIY and community help from the 4GS Clublexus sub-forum!

I purchased my '13 GS with 43k miles in 2015. It was an early build (registered/sold in April 2012) and was warrantied for 3yrs/100k miles under the previous CPO program Lexus had at the time. During those 3yrs from 2015-2018, not a single warrantable problem or major failure occured. It was standard maintenance (oil changes, tires, brakes, battery).

Fast forward and within the last 2yrs i've replaced the analog clock (replaced myself; $250 part), a bad o-ring on the AC line (done at dealer for $500), and last month replaced a failed AC condensor/high line (done at dealer for $2,000). When these problems started happening, my GS had between 60-70k miles and was hitting the 10yr old mark. I expect the next round of issues may be suspension related as NYC roads are extremely unforgiving.

I would not have taken any warranty on the car beyond the 8year mark because of the warranty cost. In my case, the GS was so reliable in the first 6years of my ownership that a warranty would have been a waste in my scenario. I definitely see the merits of having a warranty though as nothing is completely bulletproof, especially on today's modern cars. I did not expect these issues to happen to my 4GS as I didn't experience any of these types of failures with my 2GS. These bigger costs/fixes still cost me less than $3000 over the last 8years of owning the GS.

@Mandolexus tldr: personally, I would say to save the $6000 extended warranty amount into a separate account strictly for repairs and when needed, use it to fix any items that come up over the next few years on your 2015.
The following 4 users liked this post by AJLex19:
jgscott (08-27-23), mjo13 (08-27-23), PGA71 (08-27-23), websurfer (08-27-23)
Old 08-27-23, 07:30 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 318 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by AJLex19
I've always been someone who disagrees with an extended warranty on my Lexus cars. One major reason is that bigger ticket items on these vehicles are very reliable. Another reason is the cars are easy enough to work on that a good, trusted local mechanic can exponetially reduce the labor costs. Sites like myLparts.com or ssl-parts.com are Lexus dealers selling genuine OEM Lexus parts for discounted prices so you can supply them to your mechanic. Also, you just can't beat the DIY and community help from the 4GS Clublexus sub-forum!

I purchased my '13 GS with 43k miles in 2015. It was an early build (registered/sold in April 2012) and was warrantied for 3yrs/100k miles under the previous CPO program Lexus had at the time. During those 3yrs from 2015-2018, not a single warrantable problem or major failure occured. It was standard maintenance (oil changes, tires, brakes, battery).

Fast forward and within the last 2yrs i've replaced the analog clock (replaced myself; $250 part), a bad o-ring on the AC line (done at dealer for $500), and last month replaced a failed AC condensor/high line (done at dealer for $2,000). When these problems started happening, my GS had between 60-70k miles and was hitting the 10yr old mark. I expect the next round of issues may be suspension related as NYC roads are extremely unforgiving.

I would not have taken any warranty on the car beyond the 8year mark because of the warranty cost. In my case, the GS was so reliable in the first 6years of my ownership that a warranty would have been a waste in my scenario. I definitely see the merits of having a warranty though as nothing is completely bulletproof, especially on today's modern cars. I did not expect these issues to happen to my 4GS as I didn't experience any of these types of failures with my 2GS. These bigger costs/fixes still cost me less than $3000 over the last 8years of owning the GS.

@Mandolexus tldr: personally, I would say to save the $6000 extended warranty amount into a separate account strictly for repairs and when needed, use it to fix any items that come up over the next few years on your 2015.
Thanks for sharing also.
Old 08-27-23, 08:35 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AJLex19

I kinda felt like you do about it being a Lexus and so reliable. We share the same experience of previous Lexus ownership in that the cars just keep going with little to no problems as long as you service them. I started to change the extended service agreement thinking as the tech changed and things were designed and worked a bit different especially in as many extras as the 4th Gen GS has. Its crazy that there is like a ECU for everything ex. windows, go figure? I will say though that my 13 ES350 was crazy more relievable. 150k before I sold it. One O2 sensor with all those years and miles. Considering it was a U/L and had maybe more options than my GS350 Lux has. Included it went through flooding like a raised 4x4 as I had no choice. lol!

My other ext serv contract consideration was working on my car is just not a challenge of excitement to accomplish as I get older as it was a few years going back. Bending over in the hood and crawling up under is also not something I miss. I do agree with your post 100%.
The following users liked this post:
AJLex19 (08-28-23)