GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Where do your wipers sit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-23, 03:43 PM
Mangsailor
Intermediate

Received 90 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Jakerin
When they’re in the down position they don’t swipe the windshield far enough on the driver’s side. Ridiculous.
Then you need to adjust them.
Old 09-02-23, 04:21 PM
CushionPk
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mangsailor
Do a search and you'll find there are marks in the windshield used for aligning the wipers so they're in the correct place.
Needed the iPhone flashlight, but I was able to locate the ceramic dots on the underside of the windshield.
Old 09-02-23, 07:53 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,179 Likes on 1,562 Posts

Do a search and you'll find there are marks in the windshield used for aligning the wipers so they're in the correct place.
Thanks! But I've looked carefully at the glass and in the glass as well as the black surround/band toward the base or cowl area and I do not see any marks or dots, or anything that may help with wiper alignment markings on my 4th Gen 2018 GS 450h.

I've looked with a pretty strong flashlight, but maybe I too need to use my iPhone flashlight to be able to see it. But if it's that hard to see, what good is it for the guy aligning the wipers? I know that the Corvettes have very visible dots for wiper alignment.

Last edited by bclexus; 09-02-23 at 07:58 PM.
Old 09-02-23, 07:57 PM
EAST
Intermediate

Received 176 Likes on 133 Posts

Oh man I'll have to look for future reference. Time to bust out the magnifying glass.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...l#post11402015
The following users liked this post:
Mangsailor (09-03-23)
Old 09-02-23, 09:28 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,357 Likes on 1,077 Posts

I adjusted mine way back years ago by just figuring it out myself. I wonder if some have have the front windshield replace with aftermarket and the dots are not there? i still have the original Lexus factory glass in my GS. I am going to look for the marks tomorrow.
Old 09-03-23, 01:28 AM
FullMetalM
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Ok,
So the real question is how high do the wipers on your cars sit? I have attached a picture of the wipers in 'summer' mode (excuse the temporary bird ****), they sit fairly high up on my car.

You can see they are very much in the viewable area from within the car, not tucked under the top of the bonnet at all. I mean its not a huge problem, I'm just curious if this is how it yours are or if someone has misaligned them before.
Old 09-03-23, 05:41 AM
Mangsailor
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bclexus
Thanks! But I've looked carefully at the glass and in the glass as well as the black surround/band toward the base or cowl area and I do not see any marks or dots, or anything that may help with wiper alignment markings on my 4th Gen 2018 GS 450h.

I've looked with a pretty strong flashlight, but maybe I too need to use my iPhone flashlight to be able to see it. But if it's that hard to see, what good is it for the guy aligning the wipers? I know that the Corvettes have very visible dots for wiper alignment.
Here's the measurements where you should expect to find the dots: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...l#post11402224

I don't need a flashlight if the lighting is right. Here it is as of 5min ago in the shade.

If you don't have them then idk what to tell you besides: nag to Lexus. It's in the manual, you're supposed to have them. If you don't that's not my fault or problem.

Originally Posted by FullMetalM
Ok,
So the real question is how high do the wipers on your cars sit? I have attached a picture of the wipers in 'summer' mode (excuse the temporary bird ****), they sit fairly high up on my car.
Here's mine. I wish they were designed to be under the hood, but whatever.

Originally Posted by CushionPk
Its a feature relative to the cold weather package because it raises the wipers to the the lowest part of the windshield, under which there is a heating element to melt snow and ice from the blades as one warms up the car.

it’s a design consideration inasmuch as when lowered, the wipers are not visible (addressing the OP’s complaint), but they’re also too far below the edge of the hood to allow for the blades to be lifted to change them, which shifting them to winter mode addresses.
This is incorrect. I have a CWP car, and in the lowered position they're on the elements. In the upper position you're able to lift the wipers so you can change the blades.

FullMetalM (09-03-23)
Old 09-03-23, 05:43 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

@Mangsailor - Both my wipers park (sit) well below the top of the black surround at the bottom of the windshield. The driver side wiper sits 2½ inches below the top of the black surround at the bottom of the windshield and the passenger side wiper sits 2 inches below the top of the black surround at the bottom of the windshield. Car is 2018 GS 450h with OE windshield & Wipers.

I'm still not seeing any marks or dots for wiper alignment purposes.

Last edited by bclexus; 09-03-23 at 06:33 AM.
Old 09-03-23, 02:50 PM
CushionPk
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is incorrect. I have a CWP car, and in the lowered position they're on the elements.
Thanks for the correction... guess I assumed the heating element was underneath the blades when in the raised position thanks to this position being referred to as "winder mode," i.e. when one could benefit from the heating element.

Originally Posted by FullMetalM
So the real question is how high do the wipers on your cars sit?
Here's a pic of mine in the lowered position and aligned to the dots... same location as Mangsailor's. Me thinks yours are too high.

FullMetalM (09-03-23)
Old 09-03-23, 03:32 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Here's a pic of mine in the lowered position and aligned to the dots... same location as Mangsailor's.
Wait! What - you've got dots? Where are my dots? Somebody stole my dots!
The following 2 users liked this post by bclexus:
CushionPk (09-03-23), FullMetalM (09-03-23)
Old 09-03-23, 05:37 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,357 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Wait! What - you've got dots? Where are my dots? Somebody stole my dots!
Do you have the original Lexus windshield in your car still? Says Lexus in the bottom left corner. Or do you need a eye test?
Old 09-03-23, 06:48 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jgscott
Do you have the original Lexus windshield in your car still? Says Lexus in the bottom left corner. Or do you need a eye test?
As I have said; Both my wipers park (sit) well below the top of the black surround at the bottom of the windshield. The driver side wiper sits 2½ inches below the top of the black surround at the bottom of the windshield and the passenger side wiper sits 2 inches below the top of the black surround at the bottom of the windshield.

My car is 2018 GS 450h with a mint condition OE Lexus windshield & Wipers.
I have better than perfect 20/15 distance vision and perfect near vision.

After wasting half a day looking for the dot I [think] I see a tiny-*** BLACK dot about a nanometer (one-billionth of a meter) in diameter at the tip of the passenger wiper blade that is all but invisible and I had to surgically clean the glass and use a 10,000X NASA provided magnifying glass to see the damn thing!

If there are any specs of dust on the windshield that damn tiny-*** dot is worthless! I have no clue if the driver's side has a tiny-*** dot! And, I really don't give a damn!

At least I learned the C8 Corvette's wiper alignment dot (image below) is not 'invisible' black and you can actually see the damn thing!

Last edited by bclexus; 09-04-23 at 05:26 AM.
jgscott (09-03-23)
Old 09-03-23, 07:03 PM
Mangsailor
Intermediate

Default Dippin dots

The Lexus dots aren't black, they are, literally, the opposite. They have no black coating, so really they're just the same color the dash is.
FullMetalM (09-03-23)
Old 09-03-23, 07:12 PM
Mangsailor
Intermediate

Thanks for the correction... guess I assumed the heating element was underneath the blades when in the raised position thanks to this position being referred to as "winder mode," i.e. when one could benefit from the heating element.
Well, I honestly ran outside thinking "Well that's dumb. Wouldn't they have put the elements lower so the snow didn't build up on exposed wipers? That's silly. Then I saw they sat on the elements when down.

Honestly I think the manuals "winter mode" reference is really for folks without the package and there's some sort of aero going on that keeps the snow/ice from building up on top of the blade if they're in that upper position. But if you have the CWP you just keep them down and roast them as you drive to keep them ready to wipe.

Idk. I think they missed the mark and should've Incorporated the heated windshield like Ford did in the early 2010's for the focus. That worked AWESOME. I think the E-golf I had in Austria last year had the same thing and it worked great, but I can't remember.
Old 09-03-23, 07:41 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

The Lexus dots aren't black, they are, literally, the opposite. They have no black coating, so really they're just the same color the dash is.
What if your dash is black?

I had to get out a 10 Gazillion candlepower search light and surgically clean the glass to see that tiny-*** black dot in the black surround. Oh well, it's not worth my time to even remember it... .

Quick Reply: Where do your wipers sit?