GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Adding some Freon discussion

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-23, 12:14 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
That's totally up to you to decide. It's not my chart. I think that chart is just meant to be a general range of acceptable results for most people that may be curious and want to learn a little bit about what they should expect from their vehicle's A/C. I don't think that chart was ever meant to be taken as the gospel like you seemed to think. Remember, you wanted to join in the discussion and interject your views. I'm glad you did! It gave me an opportunity to provide additional insight and information that may be helpful to others. As you've seen now - I think you'll agree that chart is certainly not to be taken literally - at least that is the way I take it - in my view and general, generic experience.

Actually, I find the more interesting topic to be that which prompted this A/C center vent temperature discussion we're having - - that being the related topic of why refrigerant needed to be added to a late model Lexus A/C system!

Car owners nowadays are going many, many decades and never needing to add refrigerant like they used to have to do many generations ago. Vehicle A/C systems are much like refrigerator/freezers and rarely, if ever, leak refrigerant requiring a 'bump up' as @Mangsailor called it. It's practically unheard of nowadays.

My question for @Mangsailor is - What was the circumstance or condition that actually caused you to think your car's A/C system might need refrigerant to be added?
Thank you for clarifying.
The following users liked this post:
bclexus (08-28-23)
Old 08-28-23, 01:12 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,101 Likes on 1,496 Posts

Originally Posted by panyo64
Thank you for clarifying.

The following users liked this post:
jgscott (08-28-23)
Old 08-28-23, 07:05 PM
Mangsailor
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts

This'll be my last post on this subject.

And just so everyone's clear:

Originally Posted by Mangsailor
Your last statement contradicts the chart you posted
You said I contradicted myself in my last statement.
Originally Posted by Mangsailor
Dude, get your story straight.
You seem to have a problem with my statement in which I said; "Nothing related to the chart previously referred to."
It's clear that your cognitive dissonance is appalling at times!
I've quoted you, and even when explained to you by another member you still can't re-read what I stated, and now you seriously are stooping as low as to insult me? You really need to take a step off the high horse as you're only making a fool of yourself and starting a flame war over absolutely nothing.

Originally Posted by panyo64
I'll bite.

The chart clearly states an acceptable range between 43* and 55* at center air vent for an ambient temperature of 100*. 50* at the center air vent with a 98* ambient temperature is well within that range, even if that performance does not match your own vehicle.
Exactly!

Originally Posted by jgscott
Was it checked in the Spring and now checked again?
Unfortunately not, because I should have been more clear that if I've already touched the HVAC of a car, then every spring there-after I check the charge. I try to do it when it's around the high 70s so the system has some true load. So more like late spring, but whatever.

Hvac wasn't blowing as cold as I expected it to be, and actually didn't when I bought the car but figured it may just be how the cold weather package is (remember how older vehicles sold up north commonly didn't come with AC?). Decided to check the pressures and found the system to be undercharged per the lexus manual and every R-134a chart i've ever followed.