GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Only 17,000 miles on Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-23, 06:16 AM
chinee
Racer

Received 939 Likes on 575 Posts
Default Only 17,000 miles on Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4

Just stopped in at Discount Tire for balancing and learned that 3 are down to 4/32 and passenger rear at 2/32. At this point I’m a little disappointed and venting slightly to the CL folks. I expected to get more than 18K on a set of premium rubber.

Pros
- Smooth ride and comfort, but firm enough for sporty handling on on and off ramps.
- Very little vibration over the life of the tire. For the first time I felt a shimmy at 80/85 this weekend which prompted the balancing this morning.
- Good looking tire

Cons
- Obviously higher than expected wear, but the tread wear warranty should cover some of the replacement. 45,000 mile warranty which is half 22.5k for staggered.

Options going forward
1. Replace all 4 and apply the warranty
2. Buy 2 front rims and replace all 4. I would upsize to 245/40 all around
3. change wheels to either OEM Lux 18s or tuning fork 19s, will thus have the ability to rotate for longer life

Writing this post from Discount Tire right now, so need to do some research. Thanks for reading my small vent.

Edit: Checked my service records and actually got 18,000 miles on this set, not 16 or 17K as I originally thought..

Last edited by chinee; 09-06-23 at 01:19 PM.
Old 09-06-23, 06:20 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts

When was the last time you had the car aligned? A car can track straight with a straight steering wheel while chewing up the tires through even toe.
Old 09-06-23, 06:37 AM
NJLEXES
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by chinee
Just stopped in at Discount Tire for balancing and learned that 3 are down to 4/32 and passenger rear at 2/32. At this point I’m a little disappointed and venting slightly to the CL folks. I expected to get more than 16 on a set of premium rubber.

Pros
- Smooth ride and comfort, but firm enough for sporty handling on on and off ramps.
- Very little vibration over the life of the tire. For the first time I felt a shimmy at 80/85 this weekend which prompted the balancing this morning.
- Good looking tire

Cons
- Obviously higher than expected wear, but the tread wear warranty should cover some of the replacement. 45,000 mile warranty which is half 22.5k for staggered.

Options going forward
1. Replace all 4 and apply the warranty
2. Buy 2 front rims and replace all 4. I would upsize to 245/40 all around
3. change wheels to either OEM Lux 18s or tuning fork 19s, will thus have the ability to rotate for longer life

Writing this post from Discount Tire right now, so need to do some research. Thanks for reading my small vent.

I once had an experience like this many years ago. I had some Conti Extremecontacts on my 86 Grand National. They were great tires but only lasted around 15k miles and were pretty worn. I ended up going with different tires because even if I used the treadwear warranty (they were 45k if I recall) and got a prorated discount, I'd expect similar lousy wear again.

I'd go with different brand if I were you. Good luck

Last edited by NJLEXES; 09-06-23 at 10:47 AM.
Old 09-06-23, 07:14 AM
EAST
Intermediate

Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

How much does the warranty cover?

It sounds you've been happy with them?

I recently got some Extreme Contact DWS06 and initial impressions are decent. I've taken a couple on-ramps or curves where there some shimmy mid corner that was a little disconcerting but trying to see if maybe they need to wear in a little. I wonder if the Michelins would.havw been a better fit.
Old 09-06-23, 10:24 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,101 Likes on 1,496 Posts

Originally Posted by EAST
How much does the warranty cover?
A staggered setup cuts the warranty in half, thus 22.5k miles is the warranty instead of the full 45k miles for a non-staggered vehicle. That typically applies to all four tires of a staggered setup.

So, with 17k miles driven on 22.5K mile warranted tires he should be rebated about 24% - receive about a 24% discount on new tires of the same brand and model he failed to get the full warranted mileage out of. Add to that of course the installation cost that includes new valve stems, a disposal fee, the cost of certificate for damage repair of replacement if requested, plus the sales tax.

► 17 ÷ 22.5 = .756; 100 - 75.6 = 24.4%

Last edited by bclexus; 09-06-23 at 10:46 AM.
Old 09-06-23, 11:27 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,323 Likes on 1,052 Posts

I've posted this here before. After years and years of being a Michelin only guy, I started using other good tires like the Pirelli P7 and the Yokohama Advan Sport A/S +t. The original Michelins on the Lexus when new, seem to last very well. Then replacement Michelins just are wearing out way, way to fast to me. Not like they use to be, and they are super expensive to wear so fast. I keep up on tire pressures, rotations, and alignments but still they just cook down way to fast.

I have gotten 2x's plus the miles out of the P7's and also the Yok's too. They are also just a good and quite. The Yok's even handle better.
The following 3 users liked this post by jgscott:
bclexus (09-06-23), greys0uled (09-06-23), NJLEXES (09-07-23)
Old 09-06-23, 11:35 AM
chinee
Racer

Originally Posted by panyo64
When was the last time you had the car aligned? A car can track straight with a straight steering wheel while chewing up the tires through even toe.
Full alignment back when the tires were new. Expected some inner wear but not this. Also surprisingly, the fronts wore only slightly less than the rears… I swear, I am not a speed racer braking hard at every light and stop sign.

Never had them balanced since new, so I’m thinking that maybe they were slightly out of balance but not enough for me to truly notice as a problem, but enough to accelerate the wear.

In the middle of changing front rotors right now…. Got the drivers side done, moving on to the passenger side. OEM F Sports rotors as replacements.
Old 09-06-23, 11:38 AM
chinee
Racer

Originally Posted by bclexus
A staggered setup cuts the warranty in half, thus 22.5k miles is the warranty instead of the full 45k miles for a non-staggered vehicle. That typically applies to all four tires of a staggered setup.

So, with 17k miles driven on 22.5K mile warranted tires he should be rebated about 24% - receive about a 24% discount on new tires of the same brand and model he failed to get the full warranted mileage out of. Add to that of course the installation cost that includes new valve stems, a disposal fee, the cost of certificate for damage repair of replacement if requested, plus the sales tax.

► 17 ÷ 22.5 = .756; 100 - 75.6 = 24.4%
I think you got that about right. I expected a quote in the 1400s, with warranty about $1150.

@bclexus ... IIRC, you are partial to the Continentals, can you remind me which model you use? Discount guy was recommending the DWS 06…. I needed to do some research after I get done with the rotors.

Last edited by chinee; 09-06-23 at 01:22 PM.
Old 09-06-23, 11:47 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 395 Posts

Don't forget that if you go OEM on the wheels the 9 inch rears won't fit the front. I tried that on my RWD when I first got it and it was a no go.
Old 09-06-23, 11:59 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

I think you got that about right. I expected a quote in the 1400s, with warranty about $1150.

BC… IIRC, you are partial to the Continentals, can you remind me which model you use? Discount guy was recommending the DWS 06…. I needed to do some research after I get done with the rotors.
Just FYI: I ran the DWS 06 a few years ago. I hated them. I sold them quick. They roared and were noisy from the road inside the cabin. Then I googled and found may ppl complained that they roared were loud, and got even louder as they wore down some.
Old 09-06-23, 02:14 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
Just FYI: I ran the DWS 06 a few years ago. I hated them. I sold them quick. They roared and were noisy from the road inside the cabin. Then I googled and found may ppl complained that they roared were loud, and got even louder as they wore down some.
I had the original DWS on my second GTO very briefly - they were terribly soft and squirmy and completely neutered all of the suspension work that I had done to my car. Handling, response, and steering feel are all very important to me. I hated them and will not buy any tire in that line.
Old 09-06-23, 05:50 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 399 Likes on 282 Posts

Full alignment back when the tires were new. Expected some inner wear but not this. Also surprisingly, the fronts wore only slightly less than the rears… I swear, I am not a speed racer braking hard at every light and stop sign.

Never had them balanced since new, so I’m thinking that maybe they were slightly out of balance but not enough for me to truly notice as a problem, but enough to accelerate the wear.

In the middle of changing front rotors right now…. Got the drivers side done, moving on to the passenger side. OEM F Sports rotors as replacements.
Balance shouldn't affect wear unless it is very pronounced, just ride quality.

If they are wearing evenly across the full tread without cupping or feathered edges, the alignment is likely not the issue. If they wore that fast, I'd definitely try either a higher mileage rating tire or a less expensive tire.
The following users liked this post:
bclexus (09-07-23)
Old 09-06-23, 06:03 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

I had the original DWS on my second GTO very briefly - they were terribly soft and squirmy and completely neutered all of the suspension work that I had done to my car. Handling, response, and steering feel are all very important to me. I hated them and will not buy any tire in that line.
Yes I forgot about squirmy, felt that way too.
Old 09-08-23, 09:23 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Dang if the all seasons have that short lifespan, my 4S will probably only last half of that.
Old 09-08-23, 12:50 PM
gaki
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yes I forgot about squirmy, felt that way too.
Bummer to read this but glad I did as I was planning on getting the DWS for mine this fall/winter. I had a set of DW tires on my Audi and absolutely loved them.

Quick Reply: Only 17,000 miles on Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4