GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Cherry 2017 available - should I?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-23 | 03:36 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gs350noob
I like the idea of those Genesis but scared of the reliability reputation.

You gave up on getting a glorious camry?
Well the Camry was supposed to be a DD. Trying to find a good V6 Camry at a low price is like looking for a Accord. Everybody and their Brothers.

From what I have seen and the last 3 Kia's we have had Zero problems.

The following users liked this post:
gs350noob (10-12-23)
Old 10-12-23 | 04:33 PM
GSJ350
Pit Crew

Get it!!!! Mines also obsidian and always shows any amount of dust on it. But, when its clean and waxed it looks so deep and reflective which i love. If you can get it at a price your comfortable with then get it. I knew that camry wasn't going to fulfill you with what the GS seems to mean to you.
Old 10-12-23 | 08:33 PM
greys0uled
Advanced

I have never seen an F Sport this loaded before.. this is as close as a 350 can get to a GS F.

With negotiation, I'd buy this in a car heartbeat.
Old 10-12-23 | 10:18 PM
gs350noob
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lockedlex
I don't know, 30-40k buys you A LOT of newer cars made in the past 8 years that I think are better than the GS. I bought my 450h because of its rarity, mpg, power and loaded features and the fact that I got a great deal on it. However, if my purchase were to cross the 30k+ mark, I'd have been looking at something else. I would stay away from the Kia and Hyundai cars, still having issues on the reliability front with them. I guess though being on an island you are limited in choices, but that's a lot of coin.
Yeah he seemed willing to work on the price. I think if it's probably a good buy at $32K based on blue book etc.

What other cars were you talking about? I'm not going German or Korean, and the Acura TLX's drive nicely but haven't had great reliability. I've driven the ES and RC and they didn't do it for me. ES too cushy and plain and the RC drove worse than the GS with a smaller, weirder interior. LS is amazing but too big and fuel hungry. GS is the only car if I'm not cheaping out with a camry/accord/mazda 6.
MrHarrisMa (10-17-23)
Old 10-13-23 | 07:04 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gs350noob
Yeah he seemed willing to work on the price. I think if it's probably a good buy at $32K based on blue book etc.
@gs350noob - With a Blue Book of $32K-$34K I would be very willing to pay the highest range and most likely even higher. The reason I say 'even higher' is for three reasons - because of (1) the rare and unique options this car has that practically no other GS 350 is known to have, (2) the super low mileage and (3) the mint condition the car is in.

Personally, I don't mind paying a premium for something (real estate, art, securities, collectibles, etc. - and yes, that includes vehicles if I really want it) that I feel stands out above all the other similar/like available things I have the opportunity to choose from. But, I realize everyone has a different willingness and different conditions they live by, and my sentiment is unique to only me.

I'm sure you'll make the right decision for 'you'!

The following 2 users liked this post by bclexus:
gs350noob (10-13-23), jgscott (10-13-23)
Old 10-13-23 | 07:28 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I really like the unique options this car has. It's most definitely a cherry!

I think the only available option I'd care about having that it doesn't have is Illuminated Door Sills.

Last edited by bclexus; 10-14-23 at 11:32 AM.
Old 10-13-23 | 08:29 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bclexus
@gs350noob - With a Blue Book of $32K-$34K I would be very willing to pay the highest range and most likely even higher. The reason I say 'even higher' is for three reasons - because of (1) the rare and unique options this car has that practically no other GS 350 is known to have, (2) the super low mileage and (3) the mint condition the car is in.

Personally, I don't mind paying a premium for something (real estate, art, securities, collectibles, etc. - and yes, that includes vehicles if I really want it) that I feel stands out above all the other similar/like available things I have the opportunity to choose from. But, I realize everyone has a different willingness and different conditions they live by, and my sentiment is unique to only me.

I'm sure you'll make the right decision for 'you'!
I'm with you on this one. If I really wanted that GS I would be negotiating on it now and would not have a problem with paying more for it. Knowing the options, rareness, and low miles would validate a higher cost giving me satisfaction of the worth. I just wonder if being $6k to $8k apart on price is going to let that owner take that hit in price reduction?

The only problem I have is at lets say buying it at $38k plus, there are just other cars out there that might be a better choice to buy with newer Tech and all (Considering No Warranty). Then again on the flip side they are not a rare equipped Lexus GS with only 16k miles. If the GS was produced in Dec 2016? Its about to be 7+ years old. To pay that much, I would also need the assurance of a full coverage long term service contract. If bought for $38K, then I imagine there would be $TTT to add to the cost plus a $2k service contract? That total gets me thinking? If the total also had a service contract, now I'm all good for many years with only 16k new miles. If he gets it for lower than a $38k price it def is a winner!

*Footnote gs350noob - Ask the Owner if he had a extended service contract? Most are Transferrable for like only $50 to a new Owner.

Last edited by jgscott; 10-13-23 at 09:51 AM. Reason: sp & grammer!
bclexus (10-13-23)
Old 10-13-23 | 09:57 AM
gs350noob
Intermediate

Thanks you guys good advice all around and I see where everyone's coming from. I'm gonna think on it over the weekend and maybe make him an offer on Monday if I feel I should re-upgrade.

I had expected to sit on the Camry for a year or two and see if I would settle into owning it. If I still felt restless after that time, I would look for real to getting a better car (I think it still would be the GS LOL). I didn't expect such a good option to show up so soon.

Financially, keeping the Camry is sort of a no brainer. It cost $11800 so basically half of what an equivalent year/mileage GS would be, it's cheaper to run, and it's reliable. The problem is I like it half as much as I like the GS.

Old 10-13-23 | 11:06 AM
charley95
Pole Position

If ya wait, it could be gone by Monday. That car will sell itself.
Old 10-13-23 | 11:17 AM
Nalod
Advanced

"Price is only an issue in the absence of quality......."
The point? If you love the car you won't be concerned with the price.
If you dead set on getting a GS, your likely not gong to find a better one on the island.
Feels sedate because its a very quiet car.
I sold my 2020 AWD with 24k miles that had a MSRP of 59k for 40k in January.
Don't feel bad for me, I paid 49k three years prior. The market changed.
It will again. If you are going to hold it for a long time, don't worry. But, EV or hydrogen is coming and in time the GS will be old.
But, it will still drive great.
That black GS your looking at has less miles and more equipment. Its a fair deal. Looks brand new.
That its a 2017 vs. 2020 is not a big deal as the tech was the same. What are you missing? Apple Car Play? What else?
I'd offer him $35K NOW. He'll say no. Ask him what his bottom line is?
Whats yours? And if not met, you ready to walk over $1000? $1500?? If so, then walk.

Last edited by Nalod; 10-13-23 at 11:26 AM.
Old 10-13-23 | 01:20 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

That's a beautiful example of rare, feature-rich refreshed GS. If I was in the market for an upgrade and the GS was on the list, that would be the one!

In terms of the performance, I think you're feeling the responsiveness difference between the 6 speed in your 2013 vs the 8 speed transmission in the 2017. Also, I think only RWD F-Sports could be equipped with the LSD and rear wheel steering, making this one even more of a catch! Finding it with those options is like trying to find a low mileage, lux package equipped GS.

There is no other low mileage, 2017 F Sport nationwide with all those options available from what I can see on cars.com. If you can get it for $35 - $36k...get it!

Edit: For a point of reference, this gentleman is selling his 2017 F Sport with LSD and Rear Steering for $35k but no triple LEDs and double the mileage: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/6...-6bef5fd57cd7/

Last edited by AJLex19; 10-13-23 at 01:48 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by AJLex19:
bclexus (10-13-23), JDR76 (10-13-23)
Old 10-13-23 | 07:02 PM
ronkelley
Racer

--

Would I buy a (essentially) new car for half the new selling price. Sure would if it's a car I want.

--
bclexus (10-14-23)
Old 10-14-23 | 07:40 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ronkelley
--

Would I buy a (essentially) new car for half the new selling price. Sure would if it's a car I want.--
You make a good point. You're looking at in a way to compare it to a new car - that when it was new you know full-well, you would dearly love to have it.

Can you imagine when this car was new being offered it for about half its sticker price?

That's what's happening now! A practically new, mint condition, fully optioned, highly desirable and rare GS 350 for damn near half sticker price!!! I'LL TAKE IT!

Last edited by bclexus; 10-14-23 at 11:33 AM.
PGA71 (10-14-23)
Old 10-14-23 | 12:29 PM
PGA71
Advanced

Originally Posted by bclexus
You make a good point. You're looking at in a way to compare it to a new car - that when it was new you know full-well, you would dearly love to have it.

Can you imagine when this car was new being offered it for about half its sticker price?

That's what's happening now! A practically new, mint condition, fully optioned, highly desirable and rare GS 350 for damn near half sticker price!!! I'LL TAKE IT!

That's exactly what I did when I bought my GS350 Lux and now LS500 Lux. Bought them both CPO at about 55% of MSRP.

Can't beat it.
bclexus (10-14-23)
Old 10-15-23 | 02:49 PM
Kooper
Rookie

If you get to a price you like, I would buy in a second.
As for costs, i believe I have seen some added costs with the rear wheel steering.
That said, I wish mine had it!

Quick Reply: Cherry 2017 available - should I?