GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Mold or Dirt Inside Cluster Lens /Dashboard

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-23 | 06:41 PM
jms123
Pit Crew

Default Mold or Dirt Inside Cluster Lens /Dashboard

Anyone know what this is? It does not seem to wipe off the glass/plastic and I think it is on the inside. Not sure how to remedy it. I am not the type to remove the cluster myself.

2016 GS-350 F-Sport

Old 10-14-23 | 08:19 PM
eddie420

Hard to tell. Did this happen overnight or something? Only way to remove that would be to take out the cluster. It's not too difficult if you're willing to do it yourself:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...sassembly.html
The following users liked this post:
jms123 (10-14-23)
Old 10-14-23 | 08:22 PM
jms123
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by eddie420
Hard to tell. Did this happen overnight or something? Only way to remove that would be to take out the cluster. It's not too difficult if you're willing to do it yourself:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...sassembly.html
No, its been there for a few months.... I feel like its expanding which is why I think it might be mold
Old 10-15-23 | 04:50 AM
chinee
Racer

I'm guessing you're not the original owner? Could have been stored under some very humid/damp conditions, or the interior got wet so the mositure permeated all over to include the cluster, at worst it might have had flood damge. If it's moisture/mold on the inside, there's no solution other than taking out the cluster and cleaning it yourself or replacement.
Old 10-15-23 | 06:01 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

First you need to figure if it's on the outside or inside? Can't fix it if you don't. I would clean it with a mild soap. Then get some plastic polish like for headlights. Meguiars and other have some, even at Walmart. Use on the outside and see if it polishes out any. If so that will fix it. After I would put a wax of some sort to try and keep it from coming back.

Lots of times that comes from some dumb person spraying window cleaners, or even worst a chemical cleaner on the cover. Sometimes the moisture then bleeds in with condensation inside. If it's inside you have no choice if you want it fixed but to remove the cluster. You may want to check Lexus parts. They do sell the headlight plastic lens covers separately. There is a slight chance that cover is sold separate maybe?

I would also wonder if someone went in that cluster resulting in the contamination try to change the mileage, or changed the cluster for a junk yard one that had the contamination deteriorating? How long have you had that GS? How/when did you start to see that? Hopefully it's on the outside and you can use some plastic polish to clean that off. The link below has one of a few polishes that you may try. I know that outer trim bezel just pops off around that Cluster. It may or may not be easier than you think to get that cluster out.
Old 10-15-23 | 06:37 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

That instrument cluster lens does not have mold or dirt inside it!

That damage is on the outside of the instrument cluster lens and was caused by an aggressive cleaner sprayed onto the clear instrument cluster lens. The spray used to do that damage almost certainly contained a disinfectant used for sanitizing, and most likely it was an alcohol or ammonia-based cleaner.

Some cleaners contain such aggressive chemicals that it will actually attack the surface of plastic/acrylic and cause catastrophic failure within minutes. The higher the ambient temperature, the quicker it reacts. Radiant heat and/or direct UV from the sun speeds up the time and increases the damage even further.

Here is an image of the damage that can be done to plastic/acrylic lens by aggressive cleaners:

Regardless what you use to correct this you'll most likely never achieve anything even remotely close to satisfaction.

The window cleaning chemicals used for interior car cleaning by car wash attendants is usually responsible for this damage, or it can be caused by owners using similar window cleaning chemicals that are unaware of the damage it causes...

The absolute best and safest product to use on glass and plastic/acrylic, including window tint film is Stoner Invisible Glass - available at most any auto supply store.

Last edited by bclexus; 10-15-23 at 06:59 AM. Reason: orthography
Old 10-15-23 | 07:34 AM
jms123
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by chinee
I'm guessing you're not the original owner? Could have been stored under some very humid/damp conditions, or the interior got wet so the mositure permeated all over to include the cluster, at worst it might have had flood damge. If it's moisture/mold on the inside, there's no solution other than taking out the cluster and cleaning it yourself or replacement.
I am the original owner. Other than normal Florida temperature. Someone mentioned mold does not grow on plastic so not sure.
Old 10-15-23 | 07:37 AM
jms123
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jgscott
First you need to figure if it's on the outside or inside? Can't fix it if you don't. I would clean it with a mild soap. Then get some plastic polish like for headlights. Meguiars and other have some, even at Walmart. Use on the outside and see if it polishes out any. If so that will fix it. After I would put a wax of some sort to try and keep it from coming back.

Lots of times that comes from some dumb person spraying window cleaners, or even worst a chemical cleaner on the cover. Sometimes the moisture then bleeds in with condensation inside. If it's inside you have no choice if you want it fixed but to remove the cluster. You may want to check Lexus parts. They do sell the headlight plastic lens covers separately. There is a slight chance that cover is sold separate maybe?

I would also wonder if someone went in that cluster resulting in the contamination try to change the mileage, or changed the cluster for a junk yard one that had the contamination deteriorating? How long have you had that GS? How/when did you start to see that? Hopefully it's on the outside and you can use some plastic polish to clean that off. The link below has one of a few polishes that you may try. I know that outer trim bezel just pops off around that Cluster. It may or may not be easier than you think to get that cluster out.
Im the original owner. You mention headlights a few times. This has nothing to do with the headlights. I don't want to take apart other parts of the dashboard, like anything on the center column or passenger side. I would probably start and not be able to get it back together...
Old 10-15-23 | 07:39 AM
jms123
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by bclexus
That instrument cluster lens does not have mold or dirt inside it!

That damage is on the outside of the instrument cluster lens and was caused by an aggressive cleaner sprayed onto the clear instrument cluster lens. The spray used to do that damage almost certainly contained a disinfectant used for sanitizing, and most likely it was an alcohol or ammonia-based cleaner.

Some cleaners contain such aggressive chemicals that it will actually attack the surface of plastic/acrylic and cause catastrophic failure within minutes. The higher the ambient temperature, the quicker it reacts. Radiant heat and/or direct UV from the sun speeds up the time and increases the damage even further.

Here is an image of the damage that can be done to plastic/acrylic lens by aggressive cleaners:
Regardless what you use to correct this you'll most likely never achieve anything even remotely close to satisfaction.

The window cleaning chemicals used for interior car cleaning by car wash attendants is usually responsible for this damage, or it can be caused by owners using similar window cleaning chemicals that are unaware of the damage it causes...

The absolute best and safest product to use on glass and plastic/acrylic, including window tint film is Stoner Invisible Glass - available at most any auto supply store.
Are you saying that this will correct the problem, or its too late and my only choice is to replace?
Old 10-15-23 | 08:21 AM
EAST
Advanced

Originally Posted by jms123
Im the original owner. You mention headlights a few times. This has nothing to do with the headlights. I don't want to take apart other parts of the dashboard, like anything on the center column or passenger side. I would probably start and not be able to get it back together...
He mentions headlights because headlights are also made of a clear plastic, and there are usually more options for cleaners/polishers for headlights (although headlight stuff may be more aggressive since those tend to have heavy oxidation).

From looking around , it seems anything with alcohol or ammonia will usually cause a similar hazing, usually by etching the plastic. A lot of glass cleaners or sanitizing products will cause that hazing.

Some people have had success with stuff like PlasticX or Novus (1 and 2). Others temp fix it with some Armor all, and just keep reapplying (or one YT video of olive oil, lol).
jgscott (10-15-23)
Old 10-15-23 | 08:31 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Are you saying that this will correct the problem, or its too late and my only choice is to replace?
By 'this' I presume you mean the Invisible Glass product I recommend using to clean glass and the instrument cluster lens. Hell no, using Invisible Glass now is not going to correct the problem with your instrument cluster lens! Yes, it's too late and your only choice, in my opinion, is to replace it.

The damage is permanently baked (etched) into your instrument cluster lens. Some products made specifically for headlight lens may help a little, but I doubt seriously anyone would really be happy with the results it would give on that lens of yours. In fact, you'd probably make a mess by getting the headlight lens cleaning product all in the instrument cluster trim. Your lens is trashed as far as I'm concerned.

You can thank the car wash attendants where you've taken your car to be washed and cleaned, which may have even been at your local Lexus dealership. Or, blame yourself for the poor choice of product used.

Treat yourself to the satisfaction of replacing the instrument cluster lens yourself with a brand new one. Otherwise, every time the lighting yields that ugly lens for you to see you'll grit your teeth with anger!

If you are afraid to take on the task of replacing the instrument cluster lens yourself, any body shop will gladly take your money to do it for you!

Last edited by bclexus; 10-15-23 at 08:40 AM. Reason: orthography
Old 10-15-23 | 08:57 AM
chinee
Racer

I am the original owner. Other than normal Florida temperature. Someone mentioned mold does not grow on plastic so not sure.
I considered that it was on the inside since you stated it was growing or spreading IIRC. If it’s on the outside, a little plastic polish oh headlight restore might help to remove blemishes on the outer plastic cover. Try the polish on a small section first to make sure it does not make the entire lens cover worse. Of course cover and protect other parts of the dash that might be impacted by the polish.

Good luck!
jgscott (10-15-23)
Old 10-15-23 | 11:12 AM
jms123
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by EAST
He mentions headlights because headlights are also made of a clear plastic, and there are usually more options for cleaners/polishers for headlights (although headlight stuff may be more aggressive since those tend to have heavy oxidation).

From looking around , it seems anything with alcohol or ammonia will usually cause a similar hazing, usually by etching the plastic. A lot of glass cleaners or sanitizing products will cause that hazing.

Some people have had success with stuff like PlasticX or Novus (1 and 2). Others temp fix it with some Armor all, and just keep reapplying (or one YT video of olive oil, lol).
Olive oil is a joke right, I saw parts of that video. Makes no sense. Guessing the guys just trying to get YT hits
Old 10-15-23 | 11:14 AM
jms123
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by bclexus
By 'this' I presume you mean the Invisible Glass product I recommend using to clean glass and the instrument cluster lens. Hell no, using Invisible Glass now is not going to correct the problem with your instrument cluster lens! Yes, it's too late and your only choice, in my opinion, is to replace it.

The damage is permanently baked (etched) into your instrument cluster lens. Some products made specifically for headlight lens may help a little, but I doubt seriously anyone would really be happy with the results it would give on that lens of yours. In fact, you'd probably make a mess by getting the headlight lens cleaning product all in the instrument cluster trim. Your lens is trashed as far as I'm concerned.

You can thank the car wash attendants where you've taken your car to be washed and cleaned, which may have even been at your local Lexus dealership. Or, blame yourself for the poor choice of product used.

Treat yourself to the satisfaction of replacing the instrument cluster lens yourself with a brand new one. Otherwise, every time the lighting yields that ugly lens for you to see you'll grit your teeth with anger!

If you are afraid to take on the task of replacing the instrument cluster lens yourself, any body shop will gladly take your money to do it for you!
Yeah, I might order the part and go to one of the low priced body shops and ask for a quote
Old 10-15-23 | 05:25 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chinee
I considered that it was on the inside since you stated it was growing or spreading IIRC. If it’s on the outside, a little plastic polish oh headlight restore might help to remove blemishes on the outer plastic cover. Try the polish on a small section first to make sure it does not make the entire lens cover worse. Of course cover and protect other parts of the dash that might be impacted by the polish.

Good luck!
This. Is what I said too. For $7 what do you have to lose?

Somehow he got hung up on the headlights, not that it's plastics polish.

Quick Reply: Mold or Dirt Inside Cluster Lens /Dashboard