GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Getting close to needing a set of Pirelli P7 AS Plus 3 Tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-23, 05:02 PM
GSJ350
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
I've had two sets of Pirelli P7 A/S Plus tires (Plus 2 & Plus 3) and they were perfect!
Im just stating what has worked for me (A/C issue), along with my experience first hand working with tires for a decade between 2000-2010. These are both just my opinions, and if this information helps someone make a more educated decision or solution to their issue, then someone found value in my information and I’ll keep chiming in. Michelin is still a better tire though, no doubt about it. See you around bud 👍🏻

Last edited by DaveGS4; 11-01-23 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Quoted post edited
Old 10-25-23, 05:06 PM
LexusGSboy
Instructor

Received 512 Likes on 272 Posts

@jgscott The Advan is in the mix too still. I think I've read every tire post from the last 12-18 months on here. My plan has been to do another post w a few other questions I had about tires so I didn't take over this post. Those are definitely the ones I was looking at at TireRack but I'll likely get them from Discount and they seem to have the tire listed with a slightly different name and the spec is slightly different. Tirerack lists it as an 800AA treadwear, Discount lists it as 740AA The Cinturato is listed as 500AA at both places.
Old 10-25-23, 05:10 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,113 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusGSboy
@jgscott The Advan is in the mix too still. I think I've read every tire post from the last 12-18 months on here. My plan has been to do another post w a few other questions I had about tires so I didn't take over this post. Those are definitely the ones I was looking at at TireRack but I'll likely get them from Discount and they seem to have the tire listed with a slightly different name and the spec is slightly different. Tirerack lists it as an 800AA treadwear, Discount lists it as 740AA The Cinturato is listed as 500AA at both places.
At one time I conclude that that rating also could be different depending on the tire size.
Old 10-27-23, 06:32 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,274 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Michelin makes a good tire if you don't mind really fast treadwear. I don't think I've ever achieved anywhere near even 50% of the tread life that Michelin advertises for their tires with any of the dozens of sets of Michelin tires I've had over the years, which includes multiple sets of all-season tires (e.g. Primacy MXM4, etc.) with a higher treadwear number - not just performance summer tires that should be measured in hours instead of miles. Every single tire dealer that sells Michelin tires knows this. I feel sure it's actually built into the Michelin business forecast models. When I want decent tire tread life I intentionally overlook Michelin tires.
Here is a perfect example of the pathetic tread wear of Michelin tires.

I have OE Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires that have a 55,000 mile warranty (for the original owner). At 15,000 miles (barely 27% of the mileage warranty) the tread measures only 4/32 and 3/32 and need to be replaced.

The following users liked this post:
NJLEXES (10-27-23)
Old 10-27-23, 06:57 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,621 Likes on 1,034 Posts

That's crazy. On my 15 GS, I had those same Michelins. I sold the car with 22k miles on them and had used less than half of the useable treadwear.
Old 10-27-23, 07:45 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JDR76
That's crazy. On my 15 GS, I had those same Michelins. I sold the car with 22k miles on them and had used less than half of the useable treadwear.
@JDR76 - I suspect a lot of the difference in our distinctly different tire-tread wear boils down to primarily two key factors that are dramatically different for your area versus my area:

(1) Mostly city driving (versus very little highway driving) oftentimes with 160°+ road surface temperatures as a result of intense solar radiation from the sun (versus comparatively minimal solar radiation).

(2) The type and amount of abrasive, course aggregate used in the concrete and asphalt pavement (as displayed by the map and related article below).

As noted in the article and map below, the Carolinas, Virginia and Georgia area and much of the Southwest have always had very abrasive, course road materials (aggregate) - such as crushed granite - used in pavements that greatly shorten tire-tread life compared to some other areas of the country. Of course, all the tire manufacturers are fully aware of this factor, but the general public is not familiar with this fact. I relate this knowledge similarly to how the general public is not familiar with the fact that vehicle batteries last much longer in cold climate areas whereas vehicle batteries don't last near as long in hot climate areas. For most people, they think it's just the opposite! You don't know something until you learn it!

Last edited by bclexus; 10-27-23 at 12:20 PM. Reason: orthography
spineman (08-04-24)
Old 10-27-23, 09:08 AM
gaki
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Where is everyone buying pirelli tires? Checked our local discount, mom/pop shops, and costco, but not able to find the p7 as+ 3s
Old 10-27-23, 09:33 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gaki
Where is everyone buying pirelli tires? Checked our local discount, mom/pop shops, and costco, but not able to find the p7 as+ 3s
Discount Tire for me. I presume America's Tire offers them. I believe Costco sells Pirelli tires too.

Pirelli ad from Costco website:
jgscott (10-29-23)
Old 10-27-23, 12:27 PM
gaki
Driver

Discount Tire for me. I presume America's Tire offers them. I believe Costco sells Pirelli tires too.

Yeah that's what I thought too. Weird, nothing is showing up for my zip outside of the P Zero AS Plus. Guess I gotta keep looking around and have them shipped from elsewhere.
Old 10-27-23, 07:30 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,113 Posts

I now use Discount tire. I like the 30 day return if you don't like Policy they have. Hard to go wrong when you have that service.
bclexus (10-28-23)
Old 10-27-23, 07:37 PM
lexo98
Pole Position

Received 280 Likes on 242 Posts

Depends on where you live. Pirelli isn’t sold in all Costco regions.
gaki (10-31-23)
Old 10-29-23, 06:51 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexo98
Depends on where you live. Pirelli isn’t sold in all Costco regions.
There must be some logical reason for this - probably having to do with a competition protection agreement for a designated area.
Old 10-31-23, 12:46 PM
gaki
Driver

Originally Posted by jgscott
I now use Discount tire. I like the 30 day return if you don't like Policy they have. Hard to go wrong when you have that service.
Yeah really wish the local Discount had these tires as I've been going to them nonstop for over 20 years now. Like you said, their return policy is good, was able to swap out a set of Hankooks they installed on my beater for something better.
Old 11-02-23, 12:52 PM
OUT FOX EM
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts

I have a set of these and let me tell you, I'd easily pay $100 more per tire. That's how much I like them. They're the quietest, smoothest tires I've ever had on any car, and they elevated my GS to a whole new level. I have 19" wheels for reference, and they are amazing.

I will say that due to the ride quality I REALLY had to watch my speed. 80 feels like 60, 100 feels like 80, etc.

Highly recommended.
Old 11-02-23, 01:21 PM
MRM4
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We had a set of Michelins on our '12 SRX several years ago and got about 25k miles or so out of them. A co-worker had a different type of Michelins and he got about the same amount of his. These weren't even summer tires. I think ours were rated for 60k miles. I'd be hesitant to go back to them.

Quick Reply: Getting close to needing a set of Pirelli P7 AS Plus 3 Tires